[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

One question - what do you guys think about ripping sounds from one quite old game that is now freeware due to stopped support, and it was said such on forums? Some of the weapons, especially from 3rd party packs really need new sounds.

EDIT: Just wanted to say that the game is Battlefield 2 or 2142, and here's the thread about that: http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18662&view=findpost&p=195561

Edited by sashan

One question - what do you guys think about ripping sounds from one quite old game that is now freeware due to stopped support, and it was said such on forums? Some of the weapons, especially from 3rd party packs really need new sounds.

EDIT: Just wanted to say that the game is Battlefield 2 or 2142, and here's the thread about that: http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18662&view=findpost&p=195561

Even though it might be freeware, if it's still copyrighted, you may not use it.

Releasing a sound extension with some sounds from bf2 next weekend + improved vulcan sound, just need to fix sounds cutting in and out in-game. Incoming demo video.

EDIT:: It is true, you cannot publish any BF2 content, including audio, since it is covered by http://www.ea.com/terms-of-service#section4 :( thanks EA

Edited by zacharii

KAX cockpit, Ven's stock revamp cargo bays with added tweakscale config (they are 1.25m by defaut), BahamutoD gears, B9 procedural wings for all the control surfaces, tailplanes and pylons, OPT droptanks. Oh, and ProceduralFairings for that Vulcan aerodynamic cover. Pretty much my standard list.

Flies like charm, I really did learn something on my dynamics of flight lessons :P

ok thanks :wink:

Hey BahamutoD, love your work, just have one issue that seems like it's been around for a while: The aimers seem to think my guns are pointing backwards. I expect this is something to do with the placement of the weapons, usually I'm using them hidden inside other parts with all movement ranges set to 0. Quite often the ship will first launch with the aimers out in front, but after switching into IVA view and back, or cycling weapons, etc, the aimers end up behind the craft. Searched the thread for "behind" and "backwards" and didn't see any references but I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere in 400+ pages! Turning on aim assist often fixes it.

Thanks! So, is it only an issue when "aim assist" is off? I've honestly never turned it off. Anyways, I found some issues with the reticle position while I was re-doing parts of the gun/turret code, so chances are everything should be okay in the update.

@BahamutoD: Hey, can you explain a bit better how the smart guard system works?

I am making a WW2 weapons pack for my challenge, and wanted to set it so that the AI uses more than one kind of weapon depending on the distance you are from the target.

Right now, guard chooses between missiles and guns at certain distances - the threshold depends on the situation, but usually between 1-3km, but as high as 10km if there aren't any missiles available. If it decides to use turrets, it will pick the first weapon alphabetically that has a "maxEffectiveDistance" greater than the distance to the target. Missiles don't have configurable effective ranges yet. Its kind of a placeholder system.

Hey, Baha, could you add a prograde clearance check for all missiles with drop times less than .3 seconds? I'm having a huge problem with the Hellfires where I have two of them mounted onto one missile rail in line with each other and the rearmost ones always launch first and ram themselves into the hellfire in front of them, sometimes with disastrous results. If you could do that I would immensely appreciate it.

Fine, easy enough.

Thanks, that goes as a suggestion then.

Since you are working on the AI, I have noticed that currently it does not use hellfire against the enemies, nor launch missiles after you rescale them and/or restrict their movement ranges.

It doesn't even select the missiles for firing.

Maybe steerless missiles should be handled like a very slow and big projectile bullet or something like that.

I also noticed dificulties on engaging ground targets but I will wait for a preview to test this better.

I have developed a multiplayer compatibility patch, allowing for PVP combat (though this probably isn't recommended over a very high latency or low speed connection). It should sync all effects and damage (there is occasionally bugs with tracer sync that are stomped out). It should give something else to fight other than AI though. Just thought that i would post it here for anybody looking.

Forum Link

Also BahamutoD, how much will turret animations be changing in the next patch? (I'm currently contemplating reworking turret rotation sync, and would like to know how much the code will change)

Edited by jediminer543

Another question, I see the mod is not very optimized. But can you at least add an option to disable log reporting? So far it reports each second when some vehicle is on guard but has no weapons to engage another, and it creates very considerable lag.

Also BahamutoD, how much will turret animations be changing in the next patch? (I'm currently contemplating reworking turret rotation sync, and would like to know how much the code will change)

The turret is a separate module than the gun module, so that turrets can be used for other things (like the tracking radar and eventually rockets/sam turrets).

The pitch/yaw transform orientation has changed to use Unity standards (z (blue) is forward/muzzle direction, x (red) is right, etc).

Turret rotation has been changed to use RotateTowards instead of Lerp, so it's more precise (lerp never actually reaches the destination rotation).

I think those are the main changes. Everything is up on GitHub, so take a look (ModuleTurret and ModuleWeapon).

@Baha: I meant either turning active guidance off or nerfing their steering limits.

Ah, also, AI won't turn off after it's on for a few minutes, but that's minor.

Guard ignores weapons without guidance because usage of unguided bombs/rockets/missiles hasn't been implemented yet.

I don't see why rescaling would affect it though. Hellfires should work if Mavericks work, which they do.. not sure what would go wrong there. Are there any related log entries?

If the AI doesn't turn off, it may have achieved self awareness :P

Can you make it to where you can toggle on/off clearance checks on a per-weapon basis? And make the same for the Pro-grade check, although separately?

Not the way it's implemented right now, unfortunately. It would have to be per-part rather than per-weapon type.

Another question, I see the mod is not very optimized. But can you at least add an option to disable log reporting? So far it reports each second when some vehicle is on guard but has no weapons to engage another, and it creates very considerable lag.

Optimization isn't a huge priority while I'm still adding new features. Its better to keep the logs in, so in case you run into a bug it will be easier to figure out what happened.

No one seems to be including logs with bug reports though, unfortunately :huh:

Here's how the initial implementation of GPS guidance looks:

As of now, the only way to designate GPS coordinates is with the targeting pod. Designating a target and sending the coordinates to the database will make it visible to all other units on the same team.

The JDAM has a larger reticle because the guidance allows less precise drop timing.

Just got this spamming with my space interceptor, I've targeted the vehicle that was still out of range while waiting for closest approach:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at BahaTurret.BahaTurret.Aim () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at BahaTurret.BahaTurret.OnFixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.ModulesOnFixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

I've noticed that spamming such stuff in logs completely kills perfomance.

The one JDAM exploded before it hit the ground, are these air-burst weapons do they automatically explode when the bomb reaches the closest approach to the target?

Yeah, all guided missiles in the mod detonate if they detect that they're no longer getting closer to the target, and the target is within a certain fraction of their blast radius. I might turn it off for bombs though.

Just got this spamming with my space interceptor, I've targeted the vehicle that was still out of range while waiting for closest approach:

I've noticed that spamming such stuff in logs completely kills perfomance.

It might be related to what Space_Scumbag reported. In any case, it's part of the old turret module, so just wait till the update and see if the problem persists with the new module.

Yeah, it is definetely the problem with turret. The turret was that airborne laser, and instead of autotargeting the reticule was fixed in arbitrary location and turret was pointing at the same spot as where the deploy animation finishes.

Make sure you define behavior for turrets when target is out of physics range, that's exactly when it happened.

I cant believe this. One year ago it was just turrets and missiles. A simple replacement to the DYJ and Romfarer mods and Skillful Weapons. Now look at what the beaut she became. I salute you BD for creating one of the most memorable mods. Sitting next to B9, FAR and KW rocketry.

I know i have already posted this but seems like it got overlooked, so here it is again:

Is there any plans for thin smoke on bullets as tracers? Preferably .cfg configurable?

GPS and JDAM's look great, but I would suggest turning off air detonation on bombs except for specific air burst bombs.

There is no quick and fast rule for what bomb type is contact fused and what type is air burst. For example the Mk.82 has two contact fuses (M904 fuse for the nose, and M905 for the tail) and an airburst fuse (FMU-113). Prior to the 1980s (roughly), the fusing was chosen on the ground and you were stuck with it. Most bombs now can be switched between contact and air burst in flight.

The ideal solution would be to have it set up as a tweakable that allows a player to choose between air burst and contact fusing.

Edited by Scoundrel
doh! bad grammars!

Im having a problem with my CIWS. I tested it with hellfires and it worked fine, then i went to test it against cruise missles and i made sure all the settings were correct. The cruise missles were coming in on it. 4000 meters. 3000 meters. 2000 meters. and it still wasn't firing at the incoming cruise missle. The firing distance was set to 3000 meters. Then BAM! The CIWS blew up without even firing a shot. I tested this multiple times. Every time i got the same result. But the CIWS would target any other missle, hellfire, maverick, sidewinder..... Please fix

Sure the teams setting, FOV and ranges were correct? CIWS won't engage friendly missiles.

Btw, I've added exploivenes to GOalkeeper. Much more effective now. IF only we could choose explosion fx, depending on surface....