[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

I've got two questions regarding new targeting system. First will radar be effective against ground targets (i don't think they should)? Second, will it be possible for laser to track mouse movements?

For now radar only detects airborne vessels, and for now, the TGP will not be able to follow your mouse.

Baha can you answer? PLEASE OR I'LL DROP 20 FORKEN TONS OF JDAMS ON MY HEAD JUST TO GET THE FRAKEN ANSWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111111111111111111!!

Please.. don't nag.

Baha, small idea about bombs. Can you add an option to sort them by Y (vertical) coordinate in Weapon Manager, and release them bottom ones first?

That's what 'clearance check' is supposed to handle, but it does have some issues. I'll go back and re-think it some other time. I'm trying to get everything off my current todo list first so I can release the update.

EDIT: Are those parts with suffix (fired) actually different or same? I want to detect them with MM and stop FAR from applying its physics to them. If I stop FAR applying physics to bombs at all then it would cause problems with fighter aerodynamics.

No, it's the same part and module. It would probably have to be done within the plugin if FAR aero is to be turned off only after releasing the weapon.

That AN/ALQ-131 looks great, as does everything else. Any idea when we'll get the first look at how jamming effects radar?

I'm not entirely satisfied with how it's working at the moment but I'll get a clip up later. The way it works is the jammer has a certain strength value, and if that value is higher than the strength of the radar return, it's 'jammed', and when unlocked, the ping will jitter up and down along the range axis on the radar scope. This has an unintended consequence of making it hard to click on the icon to lock the target. Also, if the radar return signal is lower than a certain fraction of the jammer's strength, the lock will be broken. This means your maximum range for maintaining a lock is smaller. At closer ranges, the return signal is higher than the jammer's strength so it has no effect.

If we have 2 radar modules on our plane, one facing forward and one backwards, can we view both at once on the same screen like you can with the data link?

For now, no. You can only have one radar active per vessel at a time.

I'm going through all the turrets and updating them to use the new modules now, so here's a clip of the AC-130 howitzer using the targeting pod's slave turret feature:

http://gfycat.com/IckyBiodegradableCapybara

I know you are working on AI, but any idea how they will handle the new targeting systems yet?

Like will IR SAMs without own/linked radars only fire if an enemy enters the narrow seeker lockon window, and will vehicles with/without targeting pods use missiles like hellfires against ground targets?

As a follow up on the jammers, will the AI fire missiles in HOJ mode, or wait for a burn through even if this happens closer than set guard range, and will this even be configurable in the guard menu?

I'm not entirely satisfied with how it's working at the moment but I'll get a clip up later. The way it works is the jammer has a certain strength value, and if that value is higher than the strength of the radar return, it's 'jammed', and when unlocked, the ping will jitter up and down along the range axis on the radar scope. This has an unintended consequence of making it hard to click on the icon to lock the target.

You've actually got a couple of options besides the '60s style spam. On modern digital displays, jamming manifests itself in some cute ways.

For example, one type of jamming shows up on a digital PPI as a ring that oscillates back and forth (the ring goes to the outer edge of the display then towards the center of the display, and back again), completely concealing the range and bearing of the targets. The closer the jammer is, the faster it moves, and the closer the ring gets to the center of the display on the contraction part of the oscillation.

On a B scope display (that's your A2A display you have) it manifests as a line that does the same thing - wavers back and forth between being close to the radar and to the edge of the radar range, and gets worse the closer the jammer gets. Once the jammer is within the ECCM range of the radar, the contact flickers for approximately 2-3 seconds before becoming a solid track... but further targets are still protected by the jammer, so the rings/lines continue. If you want I can make some gifs of what it looks like on both scopes. It'll take me a little time since I have to be careful about what I post regarding EW lol.

---update---

It just occurred to me that you might want to add a radar ECCM trait that further degrades jammer effectiveness - modern EASA radars are much better at countering jammers for the same amount of power than older radar sets.

Edited by Scoundrel

Baha, can you add the possibility of adding fixed and random fire start delay to guns? Would help with vehicles that have multiple guns of same type, like WW2 planes, so that they don't fire all at once and perfectly synchronized.

Edited by sashan

Baha, can you add the possibility of adding fixed and random fire start delay to guns? Would help with vehicles hat have multiple same guns, like WW2 planes, so that they don't fire all at once?

This is a really good idea I haven't thought of.

Btw, I have found several bugs but I will wait for the update first, none of them are really that bad.

Copying from Battlefield series that I've used to mod pretty heavily, we can have two types of delays - "fire start delay" and "fire launch delay". First one requires you to hold the button until the weapon fires, aka minigun spin-up. Second one fires after mouse was pressed down and specified time passes, regardless of mouse being pressed down or released at that time. It is used, for example, to give weapon bay doors time to open, to imitate railgun charging its capacitors (with respective sound) etc.

Both can be fixed, random and combined - for example, 1 second fixed plus minus up to 0.2 seconds random.

EDIT: ANother feature that would be great are guided missile launchers. Just like current rocket launchers, but firing guided missile, made as part, like current missiles. Needed to make proper SAM missiles, vertical launch tubes for ships, rotating revolver weapon bays for planes etc. They would also cut part count, especially the latter. One of my bombers has somewhere around 80 bombs, it looks and feels great but lags like hell until all bombs are dropped.

Edited by sashan

@sashan: you mean like a weapons dispatcher?

Something that contains the boms and missoles without having to physically store them?

Well, that is indeed a good idea, esp. for bombs and vertical missile launchers, but for airplane missiles it would be a bit OP due to clipping.

But yeah, also a good idea.

Yeah, exactly like this. WOuld be even better if we could procedurally "load" needed missile into the container, if the container supports multiple missiles - maybe different types of them at the same time? VLS of destroyers would be a pain without that. You can chech boundary box dimensions and compare them to preset max size for certain launcher.

Well, as for airplanes - why OP? Just make a part for each of fuselage sizes, and specify how much and how large missiles can it carry. For example 2.5m rotary bomb bay - 8 to 12 missiles. It would also give advantage of having correct bomb bay doors sizes, cargo bays have too large openings for them.

Edited by sashan

Yeah, exactly like this. WOuld be even better if we could procedurally "load" needed missile into the container, if the container supports multiple missiles - maybe different types of them at the same time? VLS of destroyers would be a pain without that. You can chech boundary box dimensions and compare them to preset max size for certain launcher.

Well, as for airplanes - why OP? Just make a part for each of fuselage sizes, and specify how much and how large missiles can it carry. For example 2.5m rotary bomb bay - 8 to 12 missiles. It would also give advantage of having correct bomb bay doors sizes, cargo bays have too large openings for them.

Could be good when combined with KAS/KIS.

Btw, is it possible to simulate armor? E.g. hits by ammo elow certain caliber or better, below certain specified armor piercing capability would not inflict any damage at all, or a very low damage (around 0.1%)? Currently it is possible to destroy any part by firing a it for some time. 10 or so hits from Goalkeeper destroy even structural panels.

Btw, is it possible to simulate armor? E.g. hits by ammo elow certain caliber or better, below certain specified armor piercing capability would not inflict any damage at all, or a very low damage (around 0.1%)? Currently it is possible to destroy any part by firing a it for some time. 10 or so hits from Goalkeeper destroy even structural panels.

The goalkeeper isn't the best example since it must be one of the highest dps weapons in BD Armory atm.

If you tried the same with the .50cal turret, you'd either need to fire for a long time, or just straight up not be able to break stronger parts like said structural panels.

There is always the "DMG_MULTIPLIER" in settings.cfg as well as the weapon stats in the part.cfg's of individual weapons if you feel they deal too much damage, or you can always mod parts yourself with high maxTemp in order to withstand more fire.

Just tested that weapons pack that has tank bodies. Well, I must admit that ground enemy that takes up just 19 parts (with stock wheels instead of tracks, two flare launchers, two ammo boxes, MechJeb for control, weapon manager and small solar panel) is extremely cool to have. You can spam many of them without any lags. Something like this should be included in the core mod. :P

One more idea - EVA parachutes and autoejection. Sort of VNG thechnologies plugin, but interfaced with yours, so that downed planes autoeject crew and deploy their chutes. Don't like kerbals being killed when they can survive, and ejecting them manually is not always an option - other crafts crash at that time.

Edited by sashan

BD can you add a feature where you can right click on a part and it will let you choose whether it is meant to shoot at missiles or ships, This way you don't have Guard mode confusion like where you have a missile incoming and your ship uses the 50cal turrets to shoot at it instead of the laser which would be more effective!

Please add this or at least respond. :)

One more idea - EVA parachutes and autoejection. Sort of VNG thechnologies plugin, but interfaced with yours, so that downed planes autoeject crew and deploy their chutes. Don't like kerbals being killed when they can survive, and ejecting them manually is not always an option - other crafts crash at that time.

Maybe just attach a parachute to the cockpit?

Hey, guys, I've made RCS tanks function as inline ammo containers.

Only requisite is Interstellar fuel switch, if you want to use FSFuelSwitch, just CTRL+F and type Interstellar and change everything that comes up. :)

@PART[rcsTankMini]{
MODULE
{
name = InterstellarFuelSwitch
massExponent = 3
volumeExponent = 3
resourcesFormat = 0.0000
resourceGui = Mono Propellant;.50 Cal;20x102;30x173;Liquid Fuel
resourceNames = MonoPropellant;50CalAmmo;20x102Ammo;30x173Ammo;LiquidFuel
resourceAmounts = 80;2000;1000;600;40
basePartMass = 0.5
tankMass = 0.5
displayCurrentTankCost = false
hasGUI = true
availableInFlight = true
availableInEditor = true
showInfo = true
}
}
@PART[RCSFuelTank]
{
MODULE
{
massExponent = 3
volumeExponent = 3
resourcesFormat = 0.0000
resourceGui = Mono Propellant;.50 Cal;20x102;30x173
resourceNames = MonoPropellant;50CalAmmo;20x102Ammo;30x173Ammo;LiquidFuel
resourceAmounts = 250;4000;2000;1000;100
basePartMass = 0.5
tankMass = 0.5
hasGUI = true
availableInFlight = true
availableInEditor = true
showInfo = true
}
}
@PART[RCSTank1-2]
{
MODULE
{
massExponent = 3
volumeExponent = 3
resourcesFormat = 0.0000
resourceGui = Mono Propellant;.50 Cal;20x102;30x173
resourceNames = MonoPropellant;50CalAmmo;20x102Ammo;30x173Ammo
resourceAmounts = 750;8000;4000;1500
basePartMass = 0.5
tankMass = 0.5
hasGUI = true
availableInFlight = true
availableInEditor = true
showInfo = true
}
}

I just noticed an- interesting occurrence while trying to attack a ground base on Minimus from a moving space fighter. I made a short video of the problem:

I call it a bug in the video, but it may just be due to my stupidly using the wrong weapons and tactics :)