[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

All the missiles are setup with the same orientation, so you would just have to copy the values from the srf_attach node to a new stack node and it should be fine... Missiles should launch without exploding fine from now on - I just made it so they have 9999 crash tolerance for about a second while launching.

The attach nodes are great for radial attachments, but they end up being off somewhat for stack nodes (like bombs hanging by their tail sections) so I have to fine tune each one to make sure they sit properly on the rack/pylon... because I am fussy. One the plus side I have mastered nodes to a ridiculous degree.

I may have to put some attach nodes on the adjustable rail when I have time. I guess let me know if you already have missile nodes set up before I get to it.

Also I've been playing with the adjustable rail and it doesn't like stack nodes. It should be easy to include a bit of code to shift the node when increasing the rail height, but I recall someone on the forums trying something similar and mentioning that KSP doesn't handle dynamic nodes very well. Take that with a big grain of salt though, as it could just be that they were doing something wrong, or I am misremembering an old post.

--- update ---

The configs are done.

I couldn't figure out why it was happening in the first place... I hid a primitive cube inside the body, and it worked fine after that.

Thanks! I'm going to try that.

It worked last time I checked, but I'll look at it. You sure you have electricity?

I've been talking with Ratboyslim and while it works fine for me, he seems to suspect that it be some sort of bug linked to KSP's thermal system shutting the jammer down. I've given him a potential fix to the config file and I'm just waiting to hear back from him to see if it fixes his problem.

Edited by Scoundrel
update

The new updates are awesome and I hate to say but I'm still having one of the same problems as I was having a few months ago (Thank you for fixing the Infinite ammo requiring ammo boxes problem by the way).

The problem is that craft with guard modes enabled will not engage any other craft on the opposite team if they only have guns, missiles seem to work fine but if a craft only has say, a goalkeeper, the craft will not fire, whether the craft has the appropriate ammo or not (infinite ammo is true.)

You originally asked for instructions on how to replicate the scenario so here it is.

Craft A (Land AA) is created with a goalkeeper, a .50 cal mg, a weapon manager, radar and ammo and is driven about 100m away from the runway, weapon manager is set to 8sec refresh time, 15km radius at 360 degrees on team A.

Craft B (Jet) is created with a weapon manager, AI pilot and CMs and is flown in circles by the AI at about 1.2km height, weapon manager is set to team B.

Craft A's guard mode is enabled

At this point for me one of two things happens, either a weapon is chosen, the .50 or the goalkeeper, or the weapon manager says 'no weapon selected'. Either way Craft A does not fire on Craft B, this happens regardless of smart guards.

If I'm simply missing something small please forgive my ignorance, otherwise any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Just ignore the weapon manager's right click menu.. I really should just remove it because all the features and more are more easily available in the toolbar. Whenever I see people having difficulty trying to right click the weapon manager part in videos, I wonder.. "why? Just use the toolbar!".

Or go action groups all the way.

1 fire, 2 next weapon, 5 guard mode. Much easier to fly that way, and reliable enough to bind 1 and 2 to my gamepad. (Pressing down the sticks)

As for not using toolbar, it CAN get in the way. Especially with MechJeb windows/other info open/IR stuff, you get VERY cluttered VERY quickly. Also, personally, I am actually lazy enough to not like moving the mouse to click at it. As for the hotkey, you managed to bind it to the one key I thought was safe for Steam screenshots (F12 being taken by KSP 1.0 and F13-up not being recognized.)

Edited by Aerolfos
Adding some extra

Hey Baha I'm going to try my hand at modding and make some cockpits. Is it alright with you if I use the radar portion of your configs and add them to the cockpits I make? I would of course give you credit for the radar portion.

HEY BD, I had a crazy idea, inline Machine guns, such as those on spitfire etc., bunker busters bombs, 1000lb bombs, bomblets, napalm bombs, anti-aircraft guns(flak), MLRS rocket launcher, howitzers of many diameter, runway cratering bombs, phalanx and kashtan ciws,

that's all I have to say, But im pretty sure every-other BD KSP players would like these addition.

chef gabito:D

Or go action groups all the way.

1 fire, 2 next weapon, 5 guard mode. Much easier to fly that way, and reliable enough to bind 1 and 2 to my gamepad. (Pressing down the sticks)

As for not using toolbar, it CAN get in the way. Especially with MechJeb windows/other info open/IR stuff, you get VERY cluttered VERY quickly. Also, personally, I am actually lazy enough to not like moving the mouse to click at it. As for the hotkey, you managed to bind it to the one key I thought was safe for Steam screenshots (F12 being taken by KSP 1.0 and F13-up not being recognized.)

I have a bit more complicated setup.

1: fire

2: nothing

3: next weapon

4: previous weapon

5: nothing

6: flares

7: chaff

8: jammer

9-10: nothing.

I am thinking about switching it all over to the keypad to try and make it work with that, but I am not sure.

As I wrote before, radars have their max range defined not only by sensitivity, but by interval between pulses as well - waves have to go there, be reflected and go back before next pulse starts.

Maybe this is physically real, but is it necessary to add that complexity when the end result is the same?

It has good sensitivity that allows us to finetune the targeting point, but targeting is too slow now. I recommend you to make such system:

Short clicks on buttons work like now. However, if you press and hold it, speed of movement starts with current value and then gradually increases to a certain thereshold.

That's a pretty good idea. I'll eventually do that.

.50 cal turret has two barrels that fire simultaneousky, that's what he meant. How to do that?

Oh, forgot about that. In that case, I had two separate fireTransforms. I guess technically you could have a bunch of fireTransforms in the same spot to fire like a shotgun.

Also, how to give a weapon auto lock capability? Currently the laser doesn't follow targeting pod. Not sure with radar tho.

http://i.imgur.com/ONKNHRa.png Works fine for me. Did you click 'slave turrets'?

Remember I've asked about giving separate guard modes to each weapon? We really need it as well, together with multiple radars per vessel support it. CIWS systems on ships are great examples - they are usually completely independent.

I'm still fixing bugs with the new stuff, so I won't even attempt to make it more complex by running multiple systems independently from a single vessel for now.

In regards to getting rid of the the right click menu. I don't mind that, but I don't want to loose action keys. I like making videos without having to use the UI. So being able to arm/toggle guard/toggle team with action keys is important.

Action groups would absolutely stay.

And the missiles seem much less accurate. I assume that's by design. The sidewinders in particular.

I'm still trying to balance it. It's tricky.

And this i solely out of curiosity, not even a request. But is it possible to make it so that switching through crafts with [ and ] avoids the missiles? What about debris?

Since that's part of the stock game, it might have to be a hacky solution - I don't want to worry about it for now. There's some mods out there that let you switch to a vessel out of a list though.

The new updates are awesome and I hate to say but I'm still having one of the same problems as I was having a few months ago (Thank you for fixing the Infinite ammo requiring ammo boxes problem by the way).

The problem is that craft with guard modes enabled will not engage any other craft on the opposite team if they only have guns, missiles seem to work fine but if a craft only has say, a goalkeeper, the craft will not fire, whether the craft has the appropriate ammo or not (infinite ammo is true.)

You originally asked for instructions on how to replicate the scenario so here it is.

Craft A (Land AA) is created with a goalkeeper, a .50 cal mg, a weapon manager, radar and ammo and is driven about 100m away from the runway, weapon manager is set to 8sec refresh time, 15km radius at 360 degrees on team A.

Craft B (Jet) is created with a weapon manager, AI pilot and CMs and is flown in circles by the AI at about 1.2km height, weapon manager is set to team B.

At this point for me one of two things happens, either a weapon is chosen, the .50 or the goalkeeper, or the weapon manager says 'no weapon selected'. Either way Craft A does not fire on Craft B, this happens regardless of smart guards.

If I'm simply missing something small please forgive my ignorance, otherwise any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Were you using legacy targeting? As I mentioned before, the new systems haven't been completely integrated into the guard's routines yet. I'm working on that now.

Hey Baha I'm going to try my hand at modding and make some cockpits. Is it alright with you if I use the radar portion of your configs and add them to the cockpits I make? I would of course give you credit for the radar portion.

Absolutely. You don't need to credit for that. It should work fine as long as your cockpit is aligned as Y = forward, Z = down, X = right (which is how it needs to be for the navball to be correct anyway).

It happened to me too. guards are broken with new targeting so use legacy targeting.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a bit more complicated setup.

1: fire

2: nothing

3: next weapon

4: previous weapon

5: nothing

6: flares

7: chaff

8: jammer

9-10: nothing.

I am thinking about switching it all over to the keypad to try and make it work with that, but I am not sure.

I think he should just keep the weapon manager so we can assign action groups for it as we find most comfortable and what works for our design.

Just thinking out loud, say i wanted to do a turret for a Vickers Wellington, if i added an iva to it would the iva move with the turret? My thoughts are probably not though.

for me it doesn't even work if I have missiles

My guards are not behaving right and wont fire at missles. It keeps trying to use the goalkeeper but it keeps switching back and forth. Im using legacy targeting. Also for guard mode have it so it automatically locks onto the incoming vessel on the radar so you dont have to manually lock to fire. I don't think 0.9.0 was ready because alot of things with the guards are broken

Update v0.9.3

This is another round of new features that are still in their infancy - this is the beginning of guards/AI using the new systems. Please be patient and help out by reporting issues as you find them in a concise and thorough manner. Thanks!

= New =

- With new targeting, guard range is instead visual range (acquire targets without sensors), limited to 3.5km

- Guard's visual scanning is a separate subroutine than the scan intervals defined by the slider (which is now just firing intervals)

- Guards can still discover and acquire targets beyond that distance by using radar or other sensors

- Guards can use Radar and TGP for turrets

- Guard's can use GPS, Laser, and Anti-radiation missiles

- Guards/AI now fire appropriate countermeasures and evade radar (via RWR) and heatseeking missiles (via visual detection)

- Guards fire both chaff and flare when a missile launch of unknown type is detected

- Guards will automatically enable radar or TGP if necessary

= Changes =

- Changed explosion damage to a new system of firing many rays in random directions using heat damage - more consistent on high-velocity impacts (may need balance tweaks)

- Anti-radiation missiles now only lock onto SAM or Detection type radars

- Bombs with any type of guidance now have the larger reticle (not just GPS)

- Improved JDAM steering

- Changed size of jammed radar ping

- Slightly increased TWR Radar scan sensitivity

- Increased missile detection for radars

- Tweaks to certain missiles' steering and aero (tweaks will continue in the future)

- Tweaked chaff effectiveness

= Fixes =

- Radar scan threshold now uses the proper configured value

- Radar-detected vessels are no longer reported to both team's target database

- Fixed debris showing up as enemy targets on radar

- Fixed some inconsistent use of TargetInfo

- Fixed rockets spawning in front of rocket pod instead of inside it

Edit:

Here's a GFY of an AI plane effectively defeating a heat-seeking missile

Edited by BahamutoD

Here is the my first WIP gun for my mod pack. It's a wing mounted M1919 machine gun with the little red fabric patch doped on over the muzzle as seen on Hurricanes and Spitfires, and once i figure out how to make fireAnimations i will have the Vickers S cannon used on the tank buster Hurricane.

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/233392-ww2-air-weapons-for-bda/files/2251898

Edit: I don't know if it's the AI or the gun, but the AI will always fire at a point above the target plane.

Edit2: Ok it's the AI, because it acts the same using the hidden Vulcan

P.S Legacy targeting.

Edited by TUKE

Here is the my first WIP gun for my mod pack. It's a wing mounted M1919 machine gun with the little red fabric patch doped on over the muzzle as seen on Hurricanes and Spitfires, and once i figure out how to make fireAnimations i will have the Vickers S cannon used on the tank buster Hurricane.

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/233392-ww2-air-weapons-for-bda/files/2251898

Edit: I don't know if it's the AI or the gun, but the AI will always fire at a point above the target plane.

I noticed that your license is "All rights reserved" but if you redistribute models from BDArmory, you have to respect share-alike license and use the same license.

For now, with fixed guns, the AI pilot assumes it is pointing directly forward aligned with the reference transform (the navball).

Since v0.9.0, guns controlled by guard no longer have the cheaty feature that made the guns shoot in the exact correct direction if it only off by a couple degrees, so AI planes using fixed guns aren't as deadly accurate as before.

Hang on i'll try with the shiny new version of BDA.

- - - Updated - - -

I noticed that your license is "All rights reserved" but if you redistribute models from BDArmory, you have to respect share-alike license and use the same license.

For now, with fixed guns, the AI pilot assumes it is pointing directly forward aligned with the reference transform (the navball).

Since v0.9.0, guns controlled by guard no longer have the cheaty feature that made the guns shoot in the exact correct direction if it only off by a couple degrees, so AI planes using fixed guns aren't as deadly accurate as before.

When i set that up i was in a hurry, so i'll change the licence for now, but i am making my own models/textures.

I mean it was consistently aiming above the target, even when the target was barely manouvering.

- - - Updated - - -

What licence do i want?

Update v0.9.3

This is another round of new features that are still in their infancy - this is the beginning of guards/AI using the new systems. Please be patient and help out by reporting issues as you find them in a concise and thorough manner. Thanks!

= New =

- With new targeting, guard range is instead visual range (acquire targets without sensors), limited to 3.5km

- Guard's visual scanning is a separate subroutine than the scan intervals defined by the slider (which is now just firing intervals)

- Guards can still discover and acquire targets beyond that distance by using radar or other sensors

- Guards can use Radar and TGP for turrets

- Guard's can use GPS, Laser, and Anti-radiation missiles

- Guards/AI now fire appropriate countermeasures and evade radar (via RWR) and heatseeking missiles (via visual detection)

- Guards fire both chaff and flare when a missile launch of unknown type is detected

- Guards will automatically enable radar or TGP if necessary

= Changes =

- Changed explosion damage to a new system of firing many rays in random directions using heat damage - more consistent on high-velocity impacts (may need balance tweaks)

- Anti-radiation missiles now only lock onto SAM or Detection type radars

- Bombs with any type of guidance now have the larger reticle (not just GPS)

- Improved JDAM steering

- Changed size of jammed radar ping

- Slightly increased TWR Radar scan sensitivity

- Increased missile detection for radars

- Tweaks to certain missiles' steering and aero (tweaks will continue in the future)

- Tweaked chaff effectiveness

= Fixes =

- Radar scan threshold now uses the proper configured value

- Radar-detected vessels are no longer reported to both team's target database

- Fixed debris showing up as enemy targets on radar

- Fixed some inconsistent use of TargetInfo

- Fixed rockets spawning in front of rocket pod instead of inside it

BahamutoD I could just kiss you

but I won't

sorry

Now I can continue my war series!

And the missiles seem much less accurate. I assume that's by design. The sidewinders in particular.
Missiles are much easier to avoid, especially with jamming. Too easy to avoid. In fact, they often lose lock half a kilometer from you and 4km from its launcher radar when you're jamming. I've thought home on jam mode sould be more reliable.

Part of the problem is that missiles (IR and AH/SARH) and radar should have an ECCM rating (say, from 1-10) to reduce the effectiveness of jamming and decoy countermeasures; in the limited sphere of KSP, jamming should be used to prevent long range shots from beyond 10km (that's an arbitrary number); inside 10km, jammers should have reduced capability (and HOJ missiles should be a real threat), leaving decoy countermeasures to foil missiles close in.

The other thing is that missiles are SRBs; maybe we could have them burn fuel so their mass changes and they accelerate and maneuver a bit better? Maybe it won't make a difference if we only need to tweak the lethality of the weaponry...

If you want to see an example of: proximity fusing; countermeasures rejection logic; and what an aircraft looks like to a modern IR imaging missile, watch this short video (and check out how many flares that QF-4 at the beginning is popping as that AIM-9 goes in for the kill!):

Sweet can't wait to try the upgrade. I haven't taken a close look at the jammer code yet, but I'm gonna try and make it work with my custom stealth f-22 doors. Right now it has no advantage having the weapons stored inside the fuselage. But if I could make it disappear with the doors closed then reappear once they open, it really would be a stealth craft.

ScholarlyFastHorsemouse.gif

Gfy

Edited by clown_baby

is anyone else having problems activating the ECM jammer? i have a battery pack and everything but as soon as i move or throttle back it deactivates

EDIT:

my bad...just mod confliction

Edited by Ratboyslim