[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

@BD, sorry if this is mildly annoying, but I have a deployment question.

How hard would it be to make a small module that you can use to spawn craft at coordinates (I can get these and altitude from Hyperedit) of the player's choosing? I know contracts can do this to an extent, so I am intensely curious as to how difficult it would be to implement this.

I would think that all it would take would be to have an input box for the coordinates and altitude, and an option for multiple aircraft that will spawn aircraft at an editable interval around the coordinates. Also a design drop-down box that would show spawnable designs (make it an option in weapon manager).

I am asking because it is a royal pain to actually position each aircraft and launch them etc. I simply get into the air faster and more efficiently than the AI, and by the time they start shooting their fates are already sealed. Also would help in arranging large convoys to attack as well.

Edited by ryanedward
Spelling errors.

Ok. Tested last update. Here's my results: guard visual aiming for turrets (at least .50 cal ones) doesn't work at all. Also even when it works it does so rarely. Like, it makes a burst, then it rests for about a minute or half a minute. Looks like missiles works fine though.

Ok. Tested last update. Here's my results: guard visual aiming for turrets (at least .50 cal ones) doesn't work at all. Also even when it works it does so rarely. Like, it makes a burst, then it rests for about a minute or half a minute. Looks like missiles works fine though.

I can confirm this... my CIWS fired 2 bursts in total that were a minute apart... and then it stopped trying altogether

I had to switch to it and manually refresh guard mode for it to start firing again.

Can some one help me with the HARM's like just explaining what I have to do to set them up, it would be much appreciated

HARMs target enemy radars, so you need to have a radar on your own plane and your target also has to have a radar that is active.

These are steps needed to make it work:

1. Activate your radar warning receiver from the BDA manager.
  2. Select the radar you want to target: you know you've done it right because a diamond will appear on the target when it has been targeted.
  3. Select your HARM.
  4. Launch your HARM.
  5. ???
  6. Profit!

If you end up with a pair of underpants instead of a destroyed target, you've done it wrong. :wink:

Part of the problem is that missiles (IR and AH/SARH) and radar should have an ECCM rating (say, from 1-10) to reduce the effectiveness of jamming and decoy countermeasures; in the limited sphere of KSP, jamming should be used to prevent long range shots from beyond 10km (that's an arbitrary number); inside 10km, jammers should have reduced capability (and HOJ missiles should be a real threat), leaving decoy countermeasures to foil missiles close in.

The other thing is that missiles are SRBs; maybe we could have them burn fuel so their mass changes and they accelerate and maneuver a bit better? Maybe it won't make a difference if we only need to tweak the lethality of the weaponry...

If you want to see an example of: proximity fusing; countermeasures rejection logic; and what an aircraft looks like to a modern IR imaging missile, watch this short video (and check out how many flares that QF-4 at the beginning is popping as that AIM-9 goes in for the kill!):

I haven't modelled HOJ yet and the jammer functionality is still pretty lame/placeholder - I'll keep those tips in mind when working on it later. Thanks.

Eventually it would be wise to either have solid fuel as a resource in the missiles that gets drained, or to just define an initial mass and final mass, which would be easier.

Heh yeah I've seen that video.. AIM-9X's are insane!

Baha you are amazing.

I couldn't tell, did the AI throttle down to half, and then throttle back up to full? Or was it already at half?

Other then that, it looks amazing. :kiss:

Yeah the AI will throttle down while flaring if it has energy to spare.

is anyone else having problems activating the ECM jammer? i have a battery pack and everything but as soon as i move or throttle back it deactivates

EDIT:

my bad...just mod confliction

Which mod?

How hard would it be to make a small module that you can use to spawn craft at coordinates (I can get these and altitude from Hyperedit) of the player's choosing?

I have plans to do that later when I'm ready. Looking at Contract Configurator source, its a bit of a process to spawn vessels from craft files.

How does the jammer work?

I tried to activate it and see how the radar of another plane would react but I saw no difference. Does the jammer only work against missile? Or do the result of the jammer can be seen on the radar?

Again the jammer functionality isn't completely finished, but as of now, you don't really see the effects unless the vessel is a certain distance away - it basically cuts down on it's cross section and causes the blip on the radar to be jittery.

Found the issue.. dumb mistake. I'll upload a hotfix in a bit.

Awesome update Bahamuto! The cruise missiles are showing up on radar now, but the guards are still not locking on or firing on them when they're incoming. Is there something I'm missing?

I'll take a look. (But I think it's just because I haven't done threat assessment of GPS missiles yet)

Edit:

I found the issue. I have a coroutine that occasionally goes through the target database and removes null entries and entries that it thinks are no longer threats. Apparently missiles are always removed, but you just notice it on cruise missiles because they are in flight long enough to be removed by the coroutine. On top of that, with the new targeting system, the subroutine that checks whether a missile is hostile was still checking for legacy target vessel stuff. Fixed it.

Here's a sped up gfy. (close call)

Edited by BahamutoD

This mod is awesome. I have been having fun making small starfighters (can fit inside a 3.5m radius), with all of the radar and gear needed to detect the enemy. I honestly can't wait to see what new weapon systems you add in the future. I'm hoping for something a bit more sci-fi looking.

Maybe this is physically real, but is it necessary to add that complexity when the end result is the same?

Well, I think yes - as if we limit the range by sensitivity only it becomes difficult to detect small objects, like missiles.

HARMs target enemy radars, so you need to have a radar on your own plane and your target also has to have a radar that is active.

These are steps needed to make it work:

1. Activate your radar warning receiver from the BDA manager.
  2. Select the radar you want to target: you know you've done it right because a diamond will appear on the target when it has been targeted.
  3. Select your HARM.
  4. Launch your HARM.
  5. ???
  6. Profit!

If you end up with a pair of underpants instead of a destroyed target, you've done it wrong. :wink:

So click on the RWR for it to work all I get is an F on the RWR and dosent target

I can't get radars to show other craft at all. I have a craft with a track while scan (TWS) radar and another craft just over a km away with a clear line of sight. Both craft have weapon managers. The radar is team A and the target is team B. Nothing shows up on the radar scanner even though it's set to a 10 km scan radius. When I switch to the other craft an S shows up on the radar warning receiver, whatever teams the craft are on.

Edited by volcanicshrimp

One more very, very important idea: Add "fire flare" and "fire chaff" action gropus to weapon manager. Make them fire tweakable amount of flares or chaffs upon activation, from available dispensers, at tweakable RPM. Currently, if I want to have many flare dispensers just to increase total number of flares, I need to assign each pair to its own action groups, or they fire all at once, which still gives me only 42 button presses.

Baha can you give the targeting pod more zoom. Because its really hard to mark a GPD coordinate on a tiny little ship from another ship from 5km away just to launch a cruise missile that does a weird oscillation thing while in flight and misses. Also if you select a target by double clicking the purple marker it should give you a GPS coordinate. Because its impossible to launch cruise missles from a plane if you are farther than 2km because the object doesnt render in and you have to try to mark super precisely, all that yet again for a cruise missile that does some weird oscillation while in flight and misses its target. I dont think 0.9.0 was in testing phase long enough lol

Baha can you give the targeting pod more zoom. Because its really hard to mark a GPD coordinate on a tiny little ship from another ship from 5km away just to launch a cruise missile that does a weird oscillation thing while in flight and misses. Also if you select a target by double clicking the purple marker it should give you a GPS coordinate. Because its impossible to launch cruise missles from a plane if you are farther than 2km because the object doesnt render in and you have to try to mark super precisely, all that yet again for a cruise missile that does some weird oscillation while in flight and misses its target. I dont think 0.9.0 was in testing phase long enough lol

Oh, that;s like it is in real life. You should pre-designate targets by a recon aircraft.

Well, we need persistant GPS markers for that tho...

Oh, that;s like it is in real life. You should pre-designate targets by a recon aircraft.

Well, we need persistant GPS markers for that tho...

Yes, that would be awesome.

I'm thinking that all cockpits would have "radios" so once any craft saves a GPS coord, it gets sent to all other craft on that team with a cockpit.

Or maybe you could have a small radio part or something for drones.

Then we could have legitimate use for scout planes/drones. And then we could make markers for KSC buildings and such.

Much awesomeness. :D

Were you using legacy targeting? As I mentioned before, the new systems haven't been completely integrated into the guard's routines yet. I'm working on that now.

Legacy targeting was set to 'false', the only things I changed were the physics range, infinite ammo and fire key.

legacy targeting changes the targeting systems to pre 0.9.0 systems? If so then as I have already said the problem has been around since 0.8/0.7

Updated to the most recent version and now it seems to work fine ,thanks :wink:

Edited by Wraith977
Updated version of BDA

@Endersmens: that seems cool, what about integrate it with KSP 1.1 com systems when it releases? This way you could block the craft from sending data when flying at certain areas or if its com systems are jammed, forcing you to leave the area alive to send the coords.

@Baha: I did not have the chance to try out the latest version but is it possible to fight without using radars?

@Endersmens: that seems cool, what about integrate it with KSP 1.1 com systems when it releases? This way you could block the craft from sending data when flying at certain areas or if its com systems are jammed, forcing you to leave the area alive to send the coords.

@Baha: I did not have the chance to try out the latest version but is it possible to fight without using radars?

I feel like with 1.1 they should make cockpits have a small comms range. It doesn't make sense to have to have an external radio system for 10km.

But I would take any system baha comes up with. :D