[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

found an issue with P.E.W., instead of firing (with legacy targeting) they just jettison

If you have an issue with P.E.W please make sure you put it in the correct forum

as for an issue with targeting make sure you are using the R-7 or greater

- - - Updated - - -

Hey BD could you try to make non-nuclear MIRV's With base plate?

I was looking at making those for P.E.W but have not had the opportunity and will not be able to mod for about a week and a half minimum starting 8/14/15.

the problem is getting dimensions for the reentry vehicles since nuclear warheads tend to be somewhat classified.

For some reason, my 'slave turrets' option doesn't work.

I have an M230 turret on my plane with the targeting pod that comes with BDArmory. However when i use the targeting pod, lock the target and click 'slave turrets'. The M230 doesn't seem to respond to it when i switch to it.

Are you sure? It works for me.

Things that could make it not work:

-Guard mode

-You're trying to fire by clicking on the TGP window. Firing is blocked if you're clicking on any BDArmory gui windows.

I don't have access to KSP at the moment, but I need to ask a question while I'm thinking about it, in case I forget later.

Does the radar screen work in IVA mode with Raster Prop Monitor? If so, that'd be quite awesome.

There's no RPM support at the moment.

Another quick question - is there a possibility of a radar part that does not come housed in a nosecone or shrouded in a hull section?

I've got at least one craft where the front end is an intake scoop, but adding another cylindrical section would throw off the balance of the craft and replacing a section that has fuel... well in this case it's so tight on fuel already that it's not really an option.

I'd like it if there was a smaller part that I could choose to "clip" into an existing craft like that via a small girder segment - or alternatively, place in a housing that I create myself (either from fairings or armor plating). You have radar dish models, but they don't work with tweakscale apparently. (I could probably figure out a way to customize the .CFG to add that bit of code, but then I wouldn't be able to share the craft on sites like Kerbal X etc.)

I don't know what to say.. it's part of the design restrictions. Real aircraft that don't have room for a radar don't have a radar. If you're going to clip something into the vessel anyway, just clip one of the radomes in.

So the guard mode works great now, the only thing I've noticed is instead of the missiles firing from opposite wings like they used to, they fire from the same side. I put them on with symmetry in case that was it, but it does it for all missiles. Here's a pic: (Clown baby your jets are awesome, btw. I tried forever to make my own and they came out terrible. you're a genius)

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/1458391478141610486/F1BC7DE0324429A5ECBE067E237F4D55FCC91963/

It still works if you fire missiles without switching to a different weapon in between. It's always been the case that if you switch to a different weapon, the system 'forgets' to launch the symmetry counterpart of the previously launched missile because it's 'thinking' about the current weapon (something to be improved). Guard mode tends to switch to 'None' if it doesn't have a current target, which is why you may be seeing this in guard mode.

Edited by BahamutoD

BD, I've been trying to make semi active missiles work by changing the "activeRadarRange" to 0, but the missiles do not seem to track.

I've made a semi active copy of the amraam (no other changes whatsoever) to try and locate any other reason why it might not work, but nothing else is interfering.

I've tried upping the range to 1000, then the missile would track towards the intercept vector, but lose track after a while unless i it got within said 1000m before long (ie 2-3km launch range).

For information, normal missiles seem to work fine.

I think I found a bug, I have a Guard plane and radar/missle station at the KSC on team A, with physics at 7KM, and guard range around 4-5km (tried it at 10KM as well), I launch a new place on Team A, run out past the physics distance, turn to team B, turn back and when I get within range, everything is fine and working correctly, guard plane is launching, and radar/missle station is locking on, but as soon as I launch a missle, and I tried with different ones, I am no longer able to control my plane other than throttle, staging and launching, but no attitude control and eventually crash or get shot down.

I have been having this bug with BDArmory and Ferram Aerospace Research.

In the image below, you will see my Na-2A "Not-a-Cessna-Dragonfly" having a bad time. FAR has decided to take a day off, the Flight Data window shows no aerodynamic forces, and the machmeter is kaput as well. This seems to happen when I put BDArmory parts on my craft (it has B9 Procedural Wings if it's important,) but it doesn't always happen. Halp ples.

AQDWE3F.png

I tried doing an AoA sweep after that, and more kaput. This time, KSP is throwing nullrefs: (╯KSP.exe)╯︵uoᴉʇdÇÂÉâ€xÆŽÇÂÉâ€uÇÂɹÇÂÉŸÇÂɹllnN

7kGO7gN.png

EDIT: After taking the weapons on the wings off (not the pylons, just the weapons) and replacing them, I was able to sweep AoA without it throwing nullrefs, and it actually gave me results. I will test it in flight shortly.

Edited by Naten

So the guard mode works great now, the only thing I've noticed is instead of the missiles firing from opposite wings like they used to, they fire from the same side. I put them on with symmetry in case that was it, but it does it for all missiles. Here's a pic: (Clown baby your jets are awesome, btw. I tried forever to make my own and they came out terrible. you're a genius)

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/1458391478141610486/F1BC7DE0324429A5ECBE067E237F4D55FCC91963/

Thanks dude, I see you outfitted the F-16 with RGM's. I haven't even tried that yet.

Here's an ok video with 3 engagements in it. It's using 9.4 with legacy mode turned off. The stealth Raptor has doors jamming at 2,000, but it still doesn't seem to have much effect. The thing gets shot down almost immediately. Radar weapons make dogfights super short, even with the jamming technology.

Things I've noticed in 9.4

- I have seen the AI fire the cannon, but rarely.

- Weapons that are mirrored on each wing used to alternate when fired. Now one wing fires all the missiles before the other wing does, which throws off the COM.

- AI throws both countermeasures no matter which missile it is trying to divert.

- AI throws countermeasures but doesn't seem to do any maneuvers to avoid being hit (This is just from observation, I'm not sure you even touched the flight characteristics.)

- I understand how hard this is to program, but I just feel like the AI takes stupid shots. I've been playing with the scan time to try and make it better though

And I know I brought this up before, but I don't understand why when Autopilot is on with guard mode off, switching teams doesn't cause the crafts to engage. They continue to fly in circles until guard mode is activated. I would love to have the craft engage each other with guard mode off, allowing me to make the decision when to fire.

These 1v2 videos are hard to film, but I was just trying to test the jamming module. I'll switch to 1v1 and use two of the same craft to give better videos and better analysis of the autopilot/guard characteristics.

Also I gave my Zoid cockpit radar. It's pretty dope the name shows up.

MjVhRmL.png

Edited by clown_baby

Update v0.9.5

= New =

- GPS Coordinate lists are now persistent

- Enabled activating multiple jammers with diminishing returns for each additional jammer

- Added more stack nodes to adjustable rail

- Added configurable lock-on after launch ability for radar missiles (activation of this mode is not yet implemented though)

- Above feature also allows radar missiles which have lost surrogate radar lock to continue to predicted impact point and automatically attempt active re-lock (currently used on AMRAAM)

= Changes =

- Added variations on jamming contact's detected bearing on jammed radar Demonstration GFY at different ranges

- ECM functions have been separated into configurable traits (rcs reduction, range/bearing jamming, lock-breaking)

- Made radar missile's active radar signal strength threshold configurable

- Missiles will detonate some time after they have missed

- Changed explosion damage implementation again (much better this time)

- TGP, turrets/guns, and radar will disable if vessel is not controllable

- Increased TWS Radar's sensitivity

= Fixes =

- Fixed persistence of TGP locked coordinates

- Fixed jammers occasionally shutting down despite sufficient electric charge

- Vessel's jamming status is updated if parts are broken off or destroyed

- Weapon manager's module and weapon list is updated if parts are broken off or destroyed

- Fixed (harmless) debug errors when launching rockets

- Fixed rocket appearing in front of rocket launcher for one frame after launch

- Fixed possible NRE spam from ModuleWeapon after vessel loading

Edited by BahamutoD

- AI throws both countermeasures no matter which missile it is trying to divert.

That is deliberate because there's no way to know what type of missile is targeting you - unless an active seeker head goes active. IRL DDS alternates between chaff and flares unless the pilot selects a DDS programme specific for the threat to be expected (i.e.: in SEAD the DDS might have a programme to spit out 2 chaff and 1 flare if the craft are attacking a particular SAM site, another DDS programme might spit 2 flare and 1 chaff, and so on) or the pilot sees the missile and makes the call... which is why Russians mixed seeker heads on their missiles so enemy pilots or future advanced missile approach warning radars couldn't tell which countermeasures to deploy until it was too late. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing an automatic DDS mode that a player can select that allows the plane to automatically spit out countermeasures of a certain ratio, but that's just me.

These 1v2 videos are hard to film, but I was just trying to test the jamming module. I'll switch to 1v1 and use two of the same craft to give better videos and better analysis of the autopilot/guard characteristics.

You're too close for jamming to be effective - the radar just burns right through it, and the constant jamming gives the AMRAAM with its basic HOJ capability an easy means of targeting. If you want to test its effectiveness you need to put the planes farther apart... but then you have a problem with the AI not engaging. Then again, having one of your raptors and an eagle circling about at 20km and you then flying a third plane towards them would reveal whether or not the jamming is doing anything.

That said, I enjoy watching your videos, so I won't complain if you decide to do exhaustive, in depth, extensive tests. :)

Update v0.9.5

You're the best. I have a question, is the targeting pod using the laser to set the GPS coordinates? If so, what's the range of the laser? I ask because I was using distant object enhancement to set targets with a spy plane, but the GPS coordinates ended up being 300 meters out in the middle of the air. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. I assume that's what that no LR means on the window.

~C09E58CE3F8489514BE8BA5F91EF925ECE993672

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks dude, I see you outfitted the F-16 with RGM's. I haven't even tried that yet.

- I have seen the AI fire the cannon, but rarely.

Yeah man! I put them on your F-15 too, but that F16 is a brutal dogfighter and just wrecks house. I see the AI use the cannon all the time, and even get kills. It generally switches to it under 700 meters in my experience.

That is deliberate because there's no way to know what type of missile is targeting you - unless an active seeker head goes active. IRL DDS alternates between chaff and flares unless the pilot selects a DDS programme specific for the threat to be expected (i.e.: in SEAD the DDS might have a programme to spit out 2 chaff and 1 flare if the craft are attacking a particular SAM site, another DDS programme might spit 2 flare and 1 chaff, and so on) or the pilot sees the missile and makes the call... which is why Russians mixed seeker heads on their missiles so enemy pilots or future advanced missile approach warning radars couldn't tell which countermeasures to deploy until it was too late. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing an automatic DDS mode that a player can select that allows the plane to automatically spit out countermeasures of a certain ratio, but that's just me.

Interesting, did not know that. IRL how does a craft know a heatseaker is locked onto it?

You're too close for jamming to be effective - the radar just burns right through it, and the constant jamming gives the AMRAAM with its basic HOJ capability an easy means of targeting. If you want to test its effectiveness you need to put the planes farther apart... but then you have a problem with the AI not engaging. Then again, having one of your raptors and an eagle circling about at 20km and you then flying a third plane towards them would reveal whether or not the jamming is doing anything.

Yeah I figured that. Combat is more fun to watch at close range though. And I'm trying to use the jammer in a way different than intended. I want it to be invisible to radar. I need there to be some advantage to having the weapons inside the craft, else the Raptor with external weapons is far superior. IRL how invisible is the raptor at close range to craft radar?

That said' date=' I enjoy watching your videos, so I won't complain if you decide to do exhaustive, in depth, extensive tests. :)[/quote']

Thanks a lot, I know my rig isn't the best, but I'm working hard on improving my videos. They are much better with only two craft, I'll post some tomorrow. And this is truly all I do in Kerbal anymore. It isn't just for these updates. I play this as a building sim way more than a flying/space sim. I tweak my craft, battle them, tweak, continue. I want to be a one stop shop when/if multiplayer becomes stock. A bunch of equally performing craft for people to use.

Yeah man! I put them on your F-15 too, but that F16 is a brutal dogfighter and just wrecks house. I see the AI use the cannon all the time, and even get kills. It generally switches to it under 700 meters in my experience.

Yeah I love the 16, looks a little weird with those giant weapons on it. I wouldn't complain one bit if all the missiles were scaled just a tiny bit smaller...

But I sent you the MRK II F-15 if you wanna test it. It has reduced weight for the added weight of the radar and heavier misisles.

Edited by clown_baby

Hey, Baha, could you make it possible to make it so that a laser-guided missile fired by one vehicle can follow a target laser point set by a targeting pod on another? Essentially make it possible to share laser targeting data in much the same way that radar and gps coordinates can be shared.

Interesting, did not know that. IRL how does a craft know a heatseaker is locked onto it?

They don't, generally speaking. The only warning they get is from the more advanced missiles using laser ranging for the fusing, at which point it is too late for flares. They can tell though if a missile is an active homing missile because the seeker goes active in the terminal guidance phase and the RWR gives them a threat alert, in which case they might be able to pop only chaff in the few seconds they have left; but it's best practice to pop both chaff and flare at the first sign of the threat, since the wrong choice usually ends really, really badly. :wink:

I want it to be invisible to radar... IRL how invisible is the raptor at close range to craft radar?

I intend to make stealth parts in RvB just for that purpose, though how stealthy they will be is questionable.

As to your question, considering its RCS is about 0.00018m2 (1/1000 that of an F-15), a radar like the AN/APG-63(v)2 or the Russian N-011M has a search/track range of about 410km/195km vs a typical fighter (F-15/SU-27), so they would detect an F-22 at about 170km for search, and 62km for tracking. Against older radars like the MiG-21's RP-22 Saphir-21, its search and track ranges are 30km/14km vs typical fighters... the F-22 would show up at a scary 10km search and 5km track! The pilot would see the Raptor well long before it could lock onto it! :cool:

Thanks a lot, I know my rig isn't the best, but I'm working hard on improving my videos... I want to be a one stop shop when/if multiplayer becomes stock. A bunch of equally performing craft for people to use.

Videos by people like you are what inspired me to make RvB. I love seeing dissimilar aircraft battle it out, and can't wait to see the improvements that Baha keeps making to the AI. A slow process, sure, but much fun to watch!

Edited by Scoundrel

Usually, it won't unless the pilot or someone else like a wingman can see the launch and figure out it is likely an IR missile since they didn't get a radar launch warning.

There are however systems that can detect missile launches (bad analogy: imagine having thermal cameras pointing in every direction and beeping when they see a launch) like on the A-10C, and then do the same process.

Yeah I figured that. Combat is more fun to watch at close range though. And I'm trying to use the jammer in a way different than intended. I want it to be invisible to radar. I need there to be some advantage to having the weapons inside the craft, else the Raptor with external weapons is far superior. IRL how invisible is the raptor at close range to craft radar?

Thanks a lot, I know my rig isn't the best, but I'm working hard on improving my videos. They are much better with only two craft, I'll post some tomorrow. And this is truly all I do in Kerbal anymore. It isn't just for these updates. I play this as a building sim way more than a flying/space sim. I tweak my craft, battle them, tweak, continue. I want to be a one stop shop when/if multiplayer becomes stock. A bunch of equally performing craft for people to use.

Yeah I love the 16, looks a little weird with those giant weapons on it. I wouldn't complain one bit if all the missiles were scaled just a tiny bit smaller...

But I sent you the MRK II F-15 if you wanna test it. It has reduced weight for the added weight of the radar and heavier misisles.

Stealth aircrafts are not infisible, they just deflect most of radiation into thin beams. For example, it wing leading edge happens to be exactly perpendicular to toy - it would be visible. Imagina airplane has mirror surfaces and is in completely dark void, and you have a flashlight. If the light reflects to you - you can see the airplane is there. If it reflects in other direction - you can't see it.

Anyone know how to use JDAM's, i know there GPS guided but i don't know how to target them,

also, slave turrets isn't working for me atm, thanks in advance.

Edited by will 146

Anyone know how to use JDAM's, i know there GPS guided but i don't know how to target them

You point the laser on the spot you want to target, click target, then click the button that adds it to the GPS list. Then select the GPS point you want to target, select the JDAM and wait until the targeting reticule is over the target then release.

Side note:

After our spies friendly tourists stole took tourist pictures of clown_baby's F-22, our engineers at Kerbal Dynamics have been busily improving it with the latest in shiny new airplane parts:

g5xZcov.jpg

For some reason ours is inexplicably superior. Perhaps it is the addition of our state of the art pylons and missile rails? Let's take a closer look, shall we?

fmaa82h.jpg

Oooh! Look at those amazing pylons and rails! Surely that must be why this aircraft has superior low observab- Ooops! Some clumsy engineer accidentally pulled a lever he shouldn't have...

9z8a0U3.jpg

Yeah, I know the nose cone is supposed to be hollow... unfortunately Unity's collision mesh doesn't like it when parts aren't convex so I'm trying to figure out a workaround that doesn't make it glitchy. Also it doesn't actually swing out (yet!), I just faked it.

And yes, it is a stealth nose cone. :cool: Still in testing as I have to figure out if the parameters are actually working.

Edited by Scoundrel
Apparently I used a no-no word.

Nice job. I used to do this with the Kethane scanner and Procedural Fairings fuselage, as there was a sore lack of nosecone options then. If I could make stock farings a) smooth (that ugly fairing base doesn't help) and B) unstageable I'd use them the same way.

Hey Baha, I needed longer than 5km ranges for my space battles, so I made a few adjustments to allow that. I made it so that MAX_BULLET_RANGE is read from the config file as I imagine it was intented to be, and removed an arbitrary hardcoded 8km max range limit from PooledBullet. I sent you a pull request in case you'd like to include it on the official release, for all the other long range maniacs out there. :D

It seems guard mode has something similar limiting it to shorter ranges, so I'll see if I can give it the same treatment.