[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

Try using the radome for the radar guided missiles e.g. the AMRAAM. Airborne targets will show up as a 'blip' on the radar screen, which you can then click to lock on to and then launch. I am not sure about IR missiles though.

Thanks.. I'll give that a try. hmmmmm now how do I set up an airborne target?

Baha!

So, you added attach nodes on missiles and bombs and such. This was great for putting them on the rails.

However, now you can't stack them. You can't stack missiles or bombs. So it is nearly impossible to make a vertical dispenser. :(

Thanks.. I'll give that a try. hmmmmm now how do I set up an airborne target?

Any vessel with weaponmanager that is set to opposite team is a target. If it is flying (or freefalling) - then it is airborne.

Just got a thought: I must try airdropping tanks. :P

Baha!

So, you added attach nodes on missiles and bombs and such. This was great for putting them on the rails.

However, now you can't stack them. You can't stack missiles or bombs. So it is nearly impossible to make a vertical dispenser. :(

Here's how I handled it:

3WyzD91.png

Hey everyone, maybe someone could make/recommend some armor plates for building tanks. I've been using the 1x1 and 2x2 vanilla plates and tweak their max temp in cfg to withstand machine gun fire but not missiles and cannons. Maybe some modders could think of a way of making an armor that acts like a heatshield that degrades when shot at. That would be awesome.

I had initially intended to add some armor to ky P.E.W mod but ive been very busy as of late and my current priorities go

1.School and real life

2. Finally rebuild spanner's boomsticks

3. Finish updating PEW models and textures

4. New PEW content

As you can see it may be awhile

I love this mod but I got problems with frames after the update and I was wondering if anyone still has v0.8.3 available and could share please?

Edit: got older version from "Changelog" on kerbalstuff, thanks BahamutoD

Edited by aidrokside

Still looking for any info on weapon damage. I've spent the last 12 hours or so balancing and I've managed to balance for heat (from, eg, lasers and ballistics) using thermal mass multiplier, but I'm still having a few issues.

For example, I want my vehicles to be able to withstand a few hydra impacts. I tried setting the breaking force and breaking torque both to 70000 and the crash tolerance to 70000 as well, but one hydra still breaks the parts apart in one hit.

I hope I don't have to set crash tolerance that high in the first place, because a super high crash tolerance will allow the part to survive falling as well. A main battle tank can survive a lot of things... hydra rockets wouldn't put a dent in one. But drop it from 100m and it absolutely will break :D

Similarly, I still haven't figured out whether ballistic weapons work only on temperature or whether crash tolernace is a factor, or if cannon power affects actual "damage" output, or only affects how much "knockback" is applied.

Edited by allmhuran

Also, laser damage falloff seems really extreme. At 5 structural girder beams distant I have a laser (damage 0.008) putting out 6 times as much heat as it does at 15 structural girders distant to the same target.

Edit: Just noticed I am a couple of versions behind. Will update and see the results!

Edited by allmhuran

Still looking for any info on weapon damage. I've spent the last 12 hours or so balancing and I've managed to balance for heat (from, eg, lasers and ballistics) using thermal mass multiplier, but I'm still having a few issues.

For example, I want my vehicles to be able to withstand a few hydra impacts. I tried setting the breaking force and breaking torque both to 70000 and the crash tolerance to 70000 as well, but one hydra still breaks the parts apart in one hit.

I hope I don't have to set crash tolerance that high in the first place, because a super high crash tolerance will allow the part to survive falling as well. A main battle tank can survive a lot of things... hydra rockets wouldn't put a dent in one. But drop it from 100m and it absolutely will break :D

Similarly, I still haven't figured out whether ballistic weapons work only on temperature or whether crash tolernace is a factor, or if cannon power affects actual "damage" output, or only affects how much "knockback" is applied.

As far as i know (Well, i'm making my own mod sooooooo.........I must know something) damage for ballistic weapons is applied via heat. So the higher a parts heat tolerance the quicker and easier it is to destroy. Cannon power is as you guessed force applied, however it changes effectiveness through changing radius. (Vickers S vs structural pannel T-34, while very few parts were destroyed most of it was very quickly flying away in little pieces, this is after i reduced on the radius, as i wanted achieve a AP effect.) I hope i've helped, PM if you think i can answer further Q's ;).

Yep, I know it uses heat. I don't understand how much. On the weapon side you have the following properties:

* bullet mass

* bullet velocity

* cannon power

* laser damage

* etc

On the target side you have:

* mass

* thermal mass modifier

* breaking force

* breaking torque

* crash tolerance

I know mass and thermal mass modifier matter because the weapons apply heat. I don't know whether breaking force, breaking torque or crash tolerance matter, but I assume they matter for weapons with explosive rounds (cannons, missiles). But how much do they matter? Do I need stupid-high breaking force? Right now it seems the answer is "yes" - the test part (also used in the video below) can take a hit for 600 heat from the gauss on my test rig needs breaking force in the hundreds to not die from the impact. For reference, the same part takes 2 full bursts of the BD m230 to destroy via overheat.

Also, having downloaded 0.95, close range laser damage is still super high, and falls off extremely quickly. A laser that will destroy a target in a fraction of a second inside 10m can barely raise its temperature at 100m. In other words, I think laser falloff damage needs a bit of a looking at. Maybe have a maximum "full damage" range within which falloff is not applied at all? Or just remove falloff entirely. I can't balance my parts around the current calculation, they're either going to be way, way too strong or way, way too weak unless I balance for just one specific range (which would of course be silly).

Here's a video demostration of the laser falloff. One thing I forgot to include was that the laser maxEffectiveRange is 1100... but I don't know if this does anything.

https://youtu.be/mFSgW-jID-A

Edited by allmhuran

Ah bugger a whole bunch of stuff has changed. RoundsPerMinute seems to have no effect, I have a weapon configured as below (updated for 0.95), and when I hold the trigger down it fires repeatedly as per a machine gun, apparently ignoring rounds per minute as well as its maxHeat and heatPerShot, both of which should limit it. I based the config on the howitzer. My last config (pre this update) was also based on the hotwizer and worked as expected. QQ, whole weekend wasted :(

MODULE
{
name = ModuleWeapon
weaponType = cannon

fireSoundPath = KerbalMechwarriorProgram/sounds/ERPPC
oneShotSound = true
overheatSoundPath = KerbalMechwarriorProgram/sounds/las_overheat
showReloadMeter = true
hasDeployAnim = false
hasFireAnimation = true
fireAnimName = fireAnim
spinDownAnimation = false

roundsPerMinute = 5
maxDeviation = 0.01f
bulletMass = 1.1e-2
bulletVelocity = 1750
bulletDrop = false
hasRecoil=false

cannonShellPower = 0.3
cannonShellRadius = 5

ammoName = ElectricCharge
requestResourceAmount = 1000

maxTargetingRange = 1600
maxEffectiveDistance = 1600
onlyFireInRange = false

maxHeat = 2000
heatPerShot = 1900
heatLoss = 300

projectileColor = 100, 100, 250, 200
tracerStartWidth = 0.7
tracerEndWidth = 0.3
tracerLength=200
}

Edited by allmhuran

would love to see some plane launched mirvs would look so awesome in a dogfight when a big missile bursts with loads of small (either tracking or none tracking) missiles also would like to see a missile or bomb with counter measures to distract lasers/guns

i have been following this mod from the start and keep up the good work .

:)

Ah bugger a whole bunch of stuff has changed. RoundsPerMinute seems to have no effect, I have a weapon configured as below (updated for 0.95), and when I hold the trigger down it fires repeatedly as per a machine gun, apparently ignoring rounds per minute as well as its maxHeat and heatPerShot, both of which should limit it. I based the config on the howitzer. My last config (pre this update) was also based on the hotwizer and worked as expected. QQ, whole weekend wasted :(

MODULE
{
name = ModuleWeapon
weaponType = cannon

fireSoundPath = KerbalMechwarriorProgram/sounds/ERPPC
oneShotSound = true
overheatSoundPath = KerbalMechwarriorProgram/sounds/las_overheat
showReloadMeter = true
hasDeployAnim = false
hasFireAnimation = true
fireAnimName = fireAnim
spinDownAnimation = false

roundsPerMinute = 5
maxDeviation = 0.01f
bulletMass = 1.1e-2
bulletVelocity = 1750
bulletDrop = false
hasRecoil=false

cannonShellPower = 0.3
cannonShellRadius = 5

ammoName = ElectricCharge
requestResourceAmount = 1000

maxTargetingRange = 1600
maxEffectiveDistance = 1600
onlyFireInRange = false

maxHeat = 2000
heatPerShot = 1900
heatLoss = 300

projectileColor = 100, 100, 250, 200
tracerStartWidth = 0.7
tracerEndWidth = 0.3
tracerLength=200
}

That's weird, as everything is working for me. My 40mm Vickers S does it's 13 RPM and my Hispanio 20mm does it's 700 RPM.

Also, having downloaded 0.95, close range laser damage is still super high, and falls off extremely quickly. A laser that will destroy a target in a fraction of a second inside 10m can barely raise its temperature at 100m. In other words, I think laser falloff damage needs a bit of a looking at. Maybe have a maximum "full damage" range within which falloff is not applied at all? Or just remove falloff entirely. I can't balance my parts around the current calculation, they're either going to be way, way too strong or way, way too weak unless I balance for just one specific range (which would of course be silly).

The formula for calculating laser damage is

[FONT=Monospace][COLOR=#333333]p[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333].[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]temperature[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]+=[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]laserDamage[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]/[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]([/COLOR][COLOR=#009695]float[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333])([/COLOR][COLOR=#3364a4]Math[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333].[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]PI[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]*[/COLOR][COLOR=#3364a4]Math[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333].[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]Pow[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]([/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]tanAngle[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]*[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]distance[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333],[/COLOR][COLOR=#f57d00]2[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]))[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]*[/COLOR][COLOR=#3364a4]TimeWarp[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333].[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]fixedDeltaTime[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333];[/COLOR][/FONT]

laserDamage is the default damage at point blank range. tanAngle is the tangent of the angle of divergeance divided by two. Both are configurable from the part's config file, though tanAngle appears to be missing from it, so the default value of tanAngle = 0.0001 will be used instead.

What the formula does is it scales down the amount of damage based on the increased surface are of the area hit by the laser - think the amount of wall lit by a flashlight. laserDamage is the brightness of the flashlight, while tanAngle controls how quickly it spreads. The bigger the tanAngle, the faster the area increases and the brightness decreases as you walk further away from the wall, the higher the laser damage the brighter the light is initially.

I'm the one who added laser scaling a while back, and now that I look at the formula again, I see I made a mistake back then. My calculations assume the light originates from a single point, which is obviously not the case for a real laser, and results in the brightness of our proverbial flashlight scaling all the way to infinity at point blank ranges. Lucky for us, it's an easy fix. I changed the formula to

[FONT=Monospace][COLOR=#333333]p[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333].[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]temperature[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]+=[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]laserDamage[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]/[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]([/COLOR][COLOR=#009695]float[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333])([/COLOR][COLOR=#f57d00]1[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]+[/COLOR][COLOR=#3364a4]Math[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333].[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]PI[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]*[/COLOR][COLOR=#3364a4]Math[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333].[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]Pow[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]([/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]tanAngle[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]*[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]distance[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333],[/COLOR][COLOR=#f57d00]2[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]))[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]*[/COLOR][COLOR=#3364a4]TimeWarp[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333].[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]fixedDeltaTime[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333];[/COLOR][/FONT]

, in other words the area lit by our flaslight now scales up from 1 square meter, which means the damage at point blank ranges is now equal to laserDamage, and scales down from there as you'd expect.

I made a quick test release for you here: https://github.com/Yskinator/BDArmory/releases/tag/fix1.0

Simply replace the .dll in your GameData/BDArmory/Plugins folder with the new one, and let me know if the damage still seems off. Note that it's not an official release - that's just my fork I use to send the occasional bugfix to BahamutoD.

TL;DR: Fixed a bug, let me know if it works better now. Tweak laserDamage in the part's config file to tweak the point blank damage, tanAngle* for scaling. You'll probably need to bumb up laserDamage quite a bit if you want similar close range performance - here's a little graph for you so you can see the difference. http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+250%2F%28pi*%280.0001*x%29%5E2%29+and+250%2F%281%2Bpi*%280.0001*x%29%5E2%29+from+0+to+10000

*Missing from the configuration file, but it'll be read if you add it. The default value is 0.0001.

(Source for the formulae: http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacegunconvent.php#id--Laser_Cannon--Equations)

Edited by Yski

That's weird, as everything is working for me. My 40mm Vickers S does it's 13 RPM and my Hispanio 20mm does it's 700 RPM.

I think it might be because I am asking for 1000 units of "ammo" (electric charge) per shot, so it's trying to fire 1000 times? I dunno, just a hunch, working on something else just this second but I will test that within the next hour.

The formula for calculating laser damage is

[FONT=Monospace][COLOR=#333333]p[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333].[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]temperature[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]+=[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]laserDamage[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]/[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]([/COLOR][COLOR=#009695]float[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333])([/COLOR][COLOR=#3364a4]Math[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333].[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]PI[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]*[/COLOR][COLOR=#3364a4]Math[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333].[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]Pow[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]([/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]tanAngle[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]*[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]distance[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333],[/COLOR][COLOR=#f57d00]2[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]))[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]*[/COLOR][COLOR=#3364a4]TimeWarp[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333].[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]fixedDeltaTime[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333];[/COLOR][/FONT]

BRILLIANT info! This kind of detail is super useful. Yeah I know it's in the source code, but I didn't find it at a quick glance plus even if I did find it, it would be missing the "intentional" explanatory context from you guys. So super thanks!

I made a quick test release for you here: https://github.com/Yskinator/BDArmory/releases/tag/fix1.0

Simply replace the .dll in your GameData/BDArmory/Plugins folder with the new one, and let me know if the damage still seems off.

Thanks a lot, I will test this (and the thing above) and be back here super fast!