[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

Can we get a rundown on how to use the HARM? Radars on aircraft don't seem to be detecting ground based radars to fire at

I think you have to be locked by the radar.

(like in real life. No kidding, for radar destroying missions with these types of missiles, the pilot have to get radar-locked, fire the missiles then do evasive maneuvre to not being shot down.)

I think you have to be locked by the radar.

(like in real life. No kidding, for radar destroying missions with these types of missiles, the pilot have to get radar-locked, fire the missiles then do evasive maneuvre to not being shot down.)

Ah, that makes sense..sort of, haha. Thank you, I'll give it a try.

I am just a humble creative-type who happened to stumble onto BDA and thought my knowledge of sensor and weapons systems could be put to use. Compiling stuff is beyond me at the moment

Don't let the fancy words scare you. Compiling something really boils down to downloading Monodevelop, making sure it knows where to find a few dlls found under KSP_Data, and pressing F8. It's a lot easier than you think - I just didn't have monodevelop installed on my laptop. Now that I had the time, I did a quick patch for anyone interested.

So, here's the unofficial AI-will-use-HEKVs version. Simply replace BDArmory/Plugins/BahaTurret.dll with the one I linked. It's very much a temporary fix, but if you want space battles, it'll do until BahamutoD has the time to update HEKVs to work properly in the newer versions.

One concern I have is - how does all the new Radar, Laser Locks etc, affect the ability of AI Pilots in standby mode to react to incoming threats? Used to be you could put an AI Pilot on a runway, engines ready to go, in standby and guard mode, and if "Team B" comes within the threat/loading range, the AI would take off and attempt to engage.

Now, with bombs and missiles that can target at longer ranges - even effectively outside physics loading range, how do you set up AI pilots to react? Do you link them to an early warning Radar on the ground or something?

In the config files, what does DPS mean? DPS shouldn't mean damage per second as it's somehow tied to turret rotation speed. Moreover in what units is it in?
Degrees per second seems a reasonable guess for a rotation speed.

Degrees per second seems a reasonable guess for a rotation speed.

I think you're right, kind of. I tested it in KSP by seeing how much time a turret with a DPS of 1 takes to turn 90 degrees. The turret did 90 degrees in 117 seconds, or a minute and 57 seconds. Using some rudimentary math i concluded that 1 second = 0.77 degrees. I'm guessing that you are 'right' in some degree because the small inaccuracy may have been caused by the turret's gun pitching.

Thanks for your thoughts though, it has certainly helped me a lot. I am into the configuration files stage of updating my mod, using spreadsheets to balance everything and whatnot. Have a nice day!

Turn on your RWR (Radar Warning Receiver). At the moment you don't even need to be locked (might change this later).

It's odd, I don't see that part, in either utility or the BDA section - I assume that's different than the Radar Data Receiver, which I do have.

for radar destroying missions with these types of missiles, the pilot have to get radar-locked, fire the missiles then do evasive maneuvre to not being shot down.

Not quite. In the early days of SEAD, Wild Weasels (WW) on an Iron Hand mission used the target tracking radar (TTR) illumination to determine the location of the SAM site, of which the SAM crews knew better than to simply leave their TTR on all the time. What they did was basically turn them on for a few seconds every minute or two, and only left them on when they had a contact. So, aircrews would deliberately allow themselves to be tracked in order to keep the radar on long enough for their early anti-radiation missiles (ARM) to fly to target - note that being tracked is different from being locked on to. This inevitably ended up with aircrews flying into range of the SAM's fire control radar (FCR, or "locking radar" as it is apparently called) which would in fact lock them up if the ARM hadn't taken out the TTR; this is how most of the aircraft attacking SAM sites got shot down.

Once the TTR was down, cluster munitions typically made short work of the SAM site.

Modern SEAD, while just as dangerous, uses a combination of ECM and towed decoys to create big juicy targets for the TTR to illuminate while the aircraft remain mostly undetected and can lob their ARMs with relative impunity. Clever SAM commanders know the tactics aircrews use and will reposition their TTR radar every 8 hours or so (in the Balkans, some SAM commanders repositioned their TTR every hour) in the hopes of misdirecting a WW mission and bagging them an airplane or four. Never happened, of course, but not for lack of trying.

Now, if a SAM site leaves its TTR on all the time, WW don't need to bother with the whole "get them to leave their radar on by tracking us" schtick. They just get within range of the ARM's seeker and fire before they ever have to worry about TTR passdown and the FCR lighting them up... which is how it works right now.

But, regardless of whether or not the FCR has a plane locked up, all SEAD target radars off the threat display received from the RWR.

why don't you go the easy way for now and make that part a weapon, you can fire it and remove the missiles like the rocket pods do.

That's not a bad idea. My original intent was to have the launcher use a variety of ordnance, so as to bypass the clearance check as well as the drop time and lateral eject options... but maybe I should make them just use the R-77 and R-60. I'll have to figure out how that works.

Compiling something really boils down to downloading Monodevelop, making sure it knows where to find a few dlls found under KSP_Data, and pressing F8.

I'll have to check that out. I got mono with unity (hehehe joke there...) but I was just going to delete it. You have made me rethink that. Thanks.

So, here's the unofficial AI-will-use-HEKVs version.

Thanks for the thought! I think though that it was someone else who was asking for that. :)

Edited by Scoundrel

I'll have to check that out. I got mono with unity (hehehe joke there...) but I was just going to delete it. You have made me rethink that. Thanks.

You're welcome. All you really need to do for ksp mods is to go to Project -> Edit References -> .NET Assembly -> navigate to a ksp install -> KSP_Data -> Managed, and choose Assembly-CSharp.dll and UnityEngine.dll. Click add and ok, and you're done. Build -> Build All or F8 should give you a shiny new dll, or an error message if there's still some oddity you have to take care of first.

Greetings everyone, I have a question.

I just downloaded the most recent update for BD Armory, and I have noticed the right-click tweakables for the weapon manager have disappeared. The only thing one can change is to set either Team A or Team B. Everything else seems to be controlled with the BD Armory UI, which is fine for in-game, but makes it impossible to save custom weapons manager settings for individual craft in the VAB or SPH. I am now forced to reset all of my weapon manager settings every time I launch a craft, which is tedious and time-consuming.

Have I missed something, or is this now the way things have to be?