[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

Sure fine, now I have not tried this put If I was aim at a craft, would it not lock onto that craft using the coordinates provided by the game its self?

It was a suggestion, jeez, I even prefaced kindly saying to take them or leave them at your whim.

Fine, scratch the supersonic bomber.

No, the TGP only works by locking onto a point found by firing a ray at something. If it doesn't hit anything (such as if the collider of the terrain is disabled) it invents an imaginary plane at the altitude of the surface below the vessel and raycasts against that. The TGP doesn't really "know" what a vessel is unless it hits one with the ray.

And sorry, I didn't mean to be harsh. Bad day I guess.

Okay, after some more tests, it looks like my issues with the targeting have been solved; it was a problem with the save in the end. Oh well, I can transfer craft files anyway.

On that note, I still need to experiment with the AI, They seem to have a hard time with deploying countermeasures at the moment.

Edited by [ Jeremy ]

Your understanding of the physics is good and your editing is also good, good use of cuts and video speed to keep things moving along. Commentary is of a style I prefer (I hate the shouters) and is pretty fluid with very few "ums", "ahs" or breaks in the first half of the video. It's easy to lose focus after that because the plan doesn't ususally extend that far ahead. I'd look for an improved mic if I were you. You've clearly done some prep work, if you can improve that to set up even more entertaining scenarios and, perhaps most importantly, build some more... ahem... "kerbal" craft, your only problem will be getting buoyancy above all of the other let's plays. Youtube is pretty saturated with them.

Thanks for the advice. I really want to get a new mic and looked into it but right now my money is on the short side. Currently working full time but not earning enough to do much, wages for my line of work keep getting less as the governments want cheaper rather than better. Any money I get from YouTube will be put straight back into it though I may have to bite the bullet with the mic and just get one. I'm planning on using the NKD - Heavy Ordinance pack sometime in the future which may end up in a mess with those nukes.

The radar only detects airborne vessels. I'm currently trying to put together a how-to video for air-to-ground attacks.

Exactly. I'm wondering the same thing. Somehow neither my hellfires nor cruise missiles do not lock on targets. They just act like dumbfire missiles. I thought mb some other mods can break their logic, but for example machine-gun turrets doing their job fine. Mb, I'm stupid but I can't understand what's the purpose of radars/heat designators...

Just in case. I'm using 5dim contract pack.

Edited by qwertyza

My fault. I'll put the setting in the config file.

Can't blame you, considering how many awesome things you're working on. I know for a fact I forgot to specifically mention it should be added when I made the changes, and it was the only thing I had on my plate at the time.

While you're at it, could you add tanAngle (current default 0.0001) to ABL's config file and torqueRampUp (default 30) to missiles, just so those who wish to mess with them know those variables exist. Then there's also MAX_GUARD_VISUAL_RANGE (default 3500) missing from settings.cfg, though I'm not sure if you actually wanted to add it, or if it kind of just slipped in with other changes.

It's probably best if you also put a little comment above tanAngle explaining that it controls how quickly the damage scales down. I'm starting to think I made a mistake when naming that one - it might've been a better idea to call it laserScaleFactor or something, with a comment explaining its origins instead of the other way around.

Edited by Yski

Hey guys! Just for anyone who's interested, I've updated and created some new aircraft! I know some have been waiting, so here they are! : http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/130444-Tbone-s-Modded-Replica-Sci-Fi-Aircraft-Ground-Vehicles%21

Also, I'm still working on fixing my XAGM for the new update, It's doing really weird loopy things, I just need to find those 'goldylox' settings for it and all should be good... hopefully.

No, the TGP only works by locking onto a point found by firing a ray at something. If it doesn't hit anything (such as if the collider of the terrain is disabled) it invents an imaginary plane at the altitude of the surface below the vessel and raycasts against that. The TGP doesn't really "know" what a vessel is unless it hits one with the ray.

And sorry, I didn't mean to be harsh. Bad day I guess.

Well I'm getting the idea that you are trying to realistically simulate how these weapon systems work. Would it not be easier simply to use the fact the game its self already registers the location of every craft regardless of distance from them? Like for example a spy sat camera would never SEE a craft from orbit as it is not rendered from that distance, but it could simply copy the location of that craft from the register and display it, pretending to have seen the craft and pretending to recognize it.

2) I can only guess the Radar Warning Receiver can only detect radar-guided missiles. Is there a way to detect heat-seeking missiles? (Besides looking at them, obviously :P )

Generally, no. An aircraft's missile approach warning radar (MAWR) detects missile launches and displays them in the Threat Display (there's also an audible warning tone) that the RWR also uses. If a missile approaches 4000m and hasn't gone active, then it has a passive seeker, but that's no guarantee that it is and IRM, as it could also be a SARH missile - Russians are famous for producing missiles with SARH and IR seeker heads to keep their targets guessing as to what countermeasure to deploy. Thus SOP is just to deploy both chaff and flare until the missile is identified or it loses lock.

This is also partially due to the limits of what distance the terrain colliders (thus landed vessels) can load. I hate it as much as you do, but at the moment, there's little use for anti-ground attacks from distances beyond 5-10 km.

Can't you just assume the terrain is perfectly flat and its altitude is equal to that directly below the airplane? Not the best solution but atleast usable.

As for target detection:

1. Long-range targeting. Just check if there's a vessel in certain very narrow cone arount targeting point, and use its coordinates. Usually we target vessels at long range. If the player can point the pod directly at that vessel with max zoom, then the vessel position can be assumed to be known.

2. Make laser-guided missiles fly to last target position if they lose lock. As an example, real Hellfire can be fired at helicopters. I've tried that using TGP-to-radar slaving. The pod flickers between "LR" and "NO LR", so the missile loses lock almost instantly.

So, radar works by just having it linked then, cool. Now, for a mini SAM using Sidewinders, can I just turn on guards mode and leave it at that? I could link to extend the range, but I think 3.4 is a good range for them really. Won't hit much otherwise.

Space scumbag on his newest video requested space AI :)

The next update is the great AI update. We'll see.

I'm waiting for the Unity5 update before doing anything major for AI, since I want to use the new GUI system.

The next update will just be a few fixes and improvements to the current AI stuff like steering and taking off.

Space flight AI is a low priority though. Without using sci-fi technology, there's not much 'piloting' involved...

Edited by BahamutoD

Can't you just assume the terrain is perfectly flat and its altitude is equal to that directly below the airplane? Not the best solution but atleast usable.

As for target detection:

1. Long-range targeting. Just check if there's a vessel in certain very narrow cone arount targeting point, and use its coordinates. Usually we target vessels at long range. If the player can point the pod directly at that vessel with max zoom, then the vessel position can be assumed to be known.

2. Make laser-guided missiles fly to last target position if they lose lock. As an example, real Hellfire can be fired at helicopters. I've tried that using TGP-to-radar slaving. The pod flickers between "LR" and "NO LR", so the missile loses lock almost instantly.

But then what is the difference with the old double click to target. There is no way to not know every single defense on the planet currently, and you would be able to just paint everything without ever going in to scout anything. Then just fire cruise missiles from nearby-ish locations and you win. Realistic? Maybe, but with KSP limitations you can't get the balancing factors real life has for those situations, and you do need to keep a semblance of gameplay...

Don't they fly straight if they have no lock? So if it orients on a stationary helicopter, loses lock, should still hit it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm waiting for the Unity5 update before doing anything major for AI, since I want to use the new GUI system.

The next update will just be a few fixes and improvements to the current AI stuff like steering and taking off.

Woo. That Unity update is a lot of hype eh. I hope they manage to fix the bloody memory leak changing scenes. It gets annoying to load the game for every mission I fly, and for every 3-4 base defenses I put out...

Well, it is needed. yay!

Laser guided missiles do already fly to the last known location of a laser lock. They don't deal with last known velocity though. If something is moving fast enough that it can't maintain a solid laser lock, you probably should be using an AAM.

Space flight AI is a low priority though. Without using sci-fi technology, there's not much 'piloting' involved...

To add to that, there's also the fact that Space Scumbag is using his own custom Star Wars physics gained through black magic and possibly Kraken worship, and that completely changes how space battles work. Any realistic space battle is likely to happen at extreme ranges, so a very simple AI would probably boil down to trying to keep at whatever range was deemed optimal for that particular ship, while doing small RCS maneuvers to avoid some of the incoming fire, and that would look nothing like a Star Wars battle. Likewise, a more Star Wars-y space AI would be completely useless under normal physics.

If anything, I'd recommend kOS for Space Scumbag's next video, that way the AI would actually work in close range soup-space battles.

Edited by Yski

Not sure if im the first to find this or not, but im running a clean game except BDarmoury and this error occurs

When reaching speeds of around 750 m/s and flying low to the ground objects on the ground will explode

Hopefully there is an easy fix for this or something but its difficult to find so i just posted it here

https://i.gyazo.com/b16c997af6dc5325390ba2f4db7825b8.gif

At exactly 750m/s, KSP switches on "Krakensbane" which makes it so instead of your ship flying through the universe, your ship is stationary and the world moves around you. Landed vessels that aren't on rails don't survive this transition, and I don't have a fix for it at the moment.

Edited by BahamutoD

At exactly 750m/s, KSP switches on "Krakensbane" which makes it so instead of your ship flying through the universe, your ship is stationary and the world moves around you. Landed vessels that aren't on rails don't survive this transition, and I don't have a fix for it at the moment.

oh my god

ksp already has warp drive?!?!?!?!

Update v0.9.8

= New =

- "Peace Mode" option in settings menu - guards/AI won't attack (for setting things up)

= Changes =

- Reduced radome mass

- Adjusted global drag multiplier (affects missiles)

- Improved AI Pilot steering and aiming

- Improved AI Pilot's 'extend' behavior

- Improved AI Pilot's take-off behavior

- AI Pilot will no longer fly straight up to achieve target altitude when loitering

- Guard will no longer engage target that has lost more than 75% of its mass

- Radar lock-on-after-launch is now limited to 2 re-lock-ons before failing

= Fixes =

- Missile will now remove FAR aerodynamics when launched (use BDArmory aero instead, no more double-drag)

- Fixed particle streaks when floating origin shifts

- Fixed typo in main fire key binding

- Fixed maxDeviation for all guns

- Fixed NRE's if active targeting pod is destroyed

- Fixed NRE if attempting to send gps data without weapon manager

- Fixed default drag model on bombs

- Fixed bullet spawn position on guns

- Fixed default max bullet range

- Included bullet range config value in settings.cfg

- Configured HEKV-1 for radar guidance (untested)

- Minor optimizations

Notes:

- Scratch what I said about saving your settings file. I made some changes to some of the defaults. You can still save your gpsTargets.cfg, and the BDAInputSettings{} section of the settings file, though.

- I still don't know why bombs are messing up the whole plane's aerodynamics when using FAR, but missiles now work fine - they no longer use the FAR aero module

Edit: SORRY!

Hotfix v0.9.8.1

= Fix =

- Fixed persistence of Peace Mode option

Edited by BahamutoD

Yeah... it was unnecessary to do anything for FAR, the latest update disabled FAR aerodynamics on BDArmory bombs (and has for about a week in the dev build) and has no problems with vessels with them attached. Depending on how you're doing that, you'll get errors thrown instead when FAR can't find the PartModule it was expecting to still be there and starts throwing errors. Please don't do that.