[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

Hey BahaD I know this isn't the thread for this inparticular, but making a new thread seemed like a waste, but what happened to the heat refraction you were working on for jet engines? Thanks!

There are some things I haven't finished for it yet, and haven't gotten to it since all my focus is on BDA at the moment.

Hey BD I see you have added the line "radarLOAL = true" for the amraam a couple of patches back.

My radar guided air to air missiles seem to work fine with or without it, so I was wondering what exactly does it do?

At the moment radarLOAL only allows it to attempt re-lock on if it lost lock for some reason during flight (chaff, jamming, or parent radar lost lock).

Eventually it will mean you can launch it without a lock and it'll home in on the first thing it catches in boresight.

Was that, dopler effect in KSP? GIMME!!! ;)

Is there going to be different modes of wingman? So like a bomber one as well as the fighter?

The wing commander will only have certain commands like follow, fly to that point, orbit this point, etc. But those kinds of behaviors (bomber, fighter etc) will be defined on the pilot module itself - not explicitly, but by how you tune the different variables.

Just one thing: The AN/APG-63 radar (cone) should have a TWS mode as well (and it should only support active missiles such as AIM-120).

Yeah, I know, but I need it to to only scan a smaller field of view around the current target, which isn't implemented yet.

Also, I was wondering if it might be reasonable to eventually be able to set flight profiles for individual planes. Setting a flat 0.7 control factor for all speed ranges greatly inhibits a craft. Even more so if the craft has so much control authority that the AI cannot be trusted with more than 0.3 of its potential below 200 m/s and can only be trusted with the full 1 at around 350 m/s. No, I'm not just saying this about my plane. I've been trying to dogfight other people's planes for some time now, and most seem to have this issue.

I plan to have more advanced and flexible settings, but I'm waiting until KSP1.1 so I can see if/how they support importing Unity5 GUI's, so I can try to avoid building all the GUI's from code.

I've got a genius idea! What about adding a targeting pod (only GPS, no lasers), that could be used on satelites and remotely accesed by ground units? It would be incerdibly useful when trying to take down targets hidden behind mountains.

How would that work? You can't see anything on the ground from orbit.

The aircraft are within visual range of each other, they start only 1.5 km away from each other.

Field of view is set to 360 degrees, visual range to 3.5 km, and firing delay to 1.

What weapons are they equipped with?

At exactly 750m/s, KSP switches on "Krakensbane" which makes it so instead of your ship flying through the universe, your ship is stationary and the world moves around you. Landed vessels that aren't on rails don't survive this transition, and I don't have a fix for it at the moment.

Thank you for letting me know, im just glad this is at least a known issue and its not just me being crazy.

How would that work? You can't see anything on the ground from orbit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconnaissance_satellite

Images taken by spy satellites are very detailed. Here's photo of the Pentagon made by Corona satelite made in 1967.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/Corona_pentagon.jpg

It's not bad especially considering the fact, that those were made over 40 years ago

I'm also pretty sure, that Google Maps images are made using satelites.

Basically weapon manager would search for vessels in LKO with special camera part.

- - - Updated - - -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconnaissance_satellite

Images taken by spy satellites are very detailed. Here's photo of the Pentagon made by Corona satelite made in 1967.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/Corona_pentagon.jpg

It's not bad especially considering the fact, that those were made over 40 years ago

I'm also pretty sure, that Google Maps images are made using satelites.

Basically weapon manager would search for vessels in LKO with special camera part.

You know what? I have just realised, that it would be impractical since satelites would be useful only for a short period of time when they are directly above the target. But I came up with another idea - add reconnaisance mode for an AI. Planes in that mode would slowly circle around on altitudes high enough to not be shot down by AA fire. and provide data from their targeting pod to other vessels with some kind of data reciver.

Edited by bartekkru99

... Basically weapon manager would search for vessels in LKO with special camera part... Planes in that mode would slowly circle around on altitudes high enough to not be shot down by AA fire. and provide data from their targeting pod to other vessels with some kind of data reciver.

The problem isn't that it isn't doable in real life, the problem is that KSP uses a PQS system to render planets, which means the ground is rendered as a low-poly mesh until a vessel is within a certain distance of it. This is so that the game runs smoothly when launching ships into orbit or even just flying around. It is because of this limitation that orbital/high-altitude targeting doesn't work, and there really isn't anything that can be done about it, because the game would become a slideshow whenever craft go airborne.

In summary, long range/high altitude targeting with any degree of accuracy is impossible without serious changes to KSP's PQS system.

The problem isn't that it isn't doable in real life, the problem is that KSP uses a PQS system to render planets, which means the ground is rendered as a low-poly mesh until a vessel is within a certain distance of it. This is so that the game runs smoothly when launching ships into orbit or even just flying around. It is because of this limitation that orbital/high-altitude targeting doesn't work, and there really isn't anything that can be done about it, because the game would become a slideshow whenever craft go airborne.

In summary, long range/high altitude targeting with any degree of accuracy is impossible without serious changes to KSP's PQS system.

But can't we get the data field of elevation-vs-coordinaates somehow without PQS? Then it would be easy to calculate ray hit point on terrain.

Sorry if this is the dumbest possible question ever, but: How do you get your weaponry to target the vehicle you have targeted by double-clicking on it? It doesn't make the sight go over it, even when using the tracking radar and missiles.

Sorry if this is the dumbest possible question ever, but: How do you get your weaponry to target the vehicle you have targeted by double-clicking on it? It doesn't make the sight go over it, even when using the tracking radar and missiles.

You gotta use the legacy targeting for weapons to track a double-click target. With the radar (assuming the radar can lock targets) I believe you click the target on the radar window.

But can't we get the data field of elevation-vs-coordinaates somehow without PQS? Then it would be easy to calculate ray hit point on terrain.

Unfortunately the quads that are generated are procedural, and generated from a height map, so while you can easily get horizontal coordinates (lat/long), you can't get accurate vertical ones beyond a certain distance, even with terrain turned on maximum. This is a limitation of KSP, and at the moment, there isn't a practical solution to the problem, and likely never will be.

When I tried to install this mod Norton tagged turret.dll as harmful enough to instantly remove it. What is going on and should I worry about it?

No. Norton is just detecting a .dll it doesn't recognize. My antivirus freaks out whenever I try to play KSP for the first time for the same reason. :huh:

I don't suppose a solution would be for the game to load the first chunk of terrain the laser hits? (to prevent loading a chunk on the other side of the planet) Could that work?

Not really. The PQS system is based on subdividing quads, and loading that terrain from high altitude/orbit would create some crazy bugs, like activating the anti-kraken code and destroying everything on the ground within physics range.

Frankly, there really isn't a way to do it that wouldn't involve completely rewriting the PQS system, and that would make KSP unplayable as you'd get all the kraken issues that drove people crazy to begin with, and then some. It is something that people are just going to have to accept.

It does give me a thought, though: maybe Baha should address the issue in the OP FAQ since it keeps popping up.