[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

Selecting "next" and "previous" weapon from the weapon manager is, most of the time, definitely better than assigning every weapon to its own action group, but I continue to face the same conundrum: I can't fire anything but missiles or rockets with KOS, because the only fire button exposed as a GUI element or action group in BDA is the fire button for rockets/missiles.

I'm desperate for any solution to this. The simplest solution seems to be reinstating the ability to fire a gun via the right click menu (which I believe would also provide the ability to bind it to an action group) as I think used to be the case in earlier versions of BDA. It may not get used very often, but it still has its place even if we ignore the KOS thing for a moment: if a craft only has a few different weapons, then sometimes assigning them individually to action groups is going to be quicker/more convenient than cycling through them. From that point of view, the KOS compatability that also comes from this solution is a bonus.

Alternatively, a fire button for a selected gun (to complement the one for missiles) in the weapon manager would also work for KOS.

If KOS were able to provide a generic keypress input (as mused by Steven), that would also be a workaround. But it's not ideal, because then the KOS program needs to know which button the user has assigned as fire (or the user has to edit the KOS script). Plus, the keypress event would have to go to the correct vessel... ie, the one the KOS CPU is running on. I don't think it would by default, since the keypress will almost certainly be sent to the active (focused) vessel by KSP. But then that would defeat the purpose of the solution, ie, providing the ability for non-focused, KOS controlled craft to fire their BDA weapons.

Edited by allmhuran

allmhuran, unfortunately, it was never the case that guns had action groups or right-click menu buttons for firing. KSPActions and KSPEvents (action groups and buttons) are one-shot events, so for a gun, it would either have to be firing one bullet at a time, or toggling start firing/stop firing. It's why I had to use a separate keybinding for guns in the first place. When KSP 1.1 comes out and I come back to working on BDA, I'll see if I can add this as an option.

Ah yes I was wondering about that myself after posting, ie, how could you "hold" fire for a weapon that requires it, and I couldn't think of a way with the stock setup, so I started wondering about my memory of older versions of BDA, and that perhaps it was only ever missiles which had this capability. Thanks for the confirmation!

The delay for 1.1 does not cause me too much pain... I'm sure a lot of things (ie, this, infernal robotics and KOS) will all need some updates for the new GUI elements, so I've already stated that I won't be releasing anything myself until after that.

Are the GPS targets supposed to be persistent when reverting the flight? They don't seem to be for me, which is annoying.

Also, the RBS-15 overspeeds and misses the target completely, no matter what altitude it is set to.

if you fly and set a gps target then revert it won't stay

allmhuran, unfortunately, it was never the case that guns had action groups or right-click menu buttons for firing. KSPActions and KSPEvents (action groups and buttons) are one-shot events.

Not true. KSPEvents are one-shot, but KSPActions are *not*. KSPActions are in fact boolean toggles (Press the key once and it becomes true. Press the key again and it becomes false.) although this fact is often hidden from the user, because most items that use them merely fire off one-shot things every time the state either toggles from false to true OR from true to false.

One example where the boolean state isn't hidden from the user is the lights action group - hit the key once for lights on, and again for lights off. Same with the landing gear.

This is why assigning action groups in the VAB have several options - assign something to when it toggles, to when it activates, or when it de-activates.

So hypothetically, you could have an action group for guns - press a key to start the gun, press it again to stop the gun, and then kOS could map to it with DOACTION(TRUE) and DOACTION(FALSE).

And that would let people add guns to whatever action groups they feel like customizing it to in the VAB - which might be nice for those making special hardware control rigs too.

However, all this being said, I'd still agree with waiting for 1.1 because who knows what SQUAD will change about how action groups work.

Not true. KSPEvents are one-shot, but KSPActions are *not*. KSPActions are in fact boolean toggles (Press the key once and it becomes true. Press the key again and it becomes false.)

Easy to miss (I did at first as well) but BD mentioned that too (" it would either have to be firing one bullet at a time, or toggling start firing/stop firing"), which would be a really annoying implementation from a user's point of view (despite giving KOS something to work with).

Hey anyone know why the Weapons Manager wouldn't work? The very few times I have been able to make it actually read that there is one on my jet, the tabs won't expand (Weapons, Guard Menu, Modules) and the time it does't it just says "No Weapon Manager found".

Easy to miss (I did at first as well) but BD mentioned that too (" it would either have to be firing one bullet at a time, or toggling start firing/stop firing"), which would be a really annoying implementation from a user's point of view (despite giving KOS something to work with).

The part that wasn't true was the claim that BOTH KSPEvents and KSPActions are fire once. They're not. KSPActions are boolean toggles. And adding support for using action groups does not imply you then take away the keypress interface.

Hey anyone know why the Weapons Manager wouldn't work? The very few times I have been able to make it actually read that there is one on my jet, the tabs won't expand (Weapons, Guard Menu, Modules) and the time it does't it just says "No Weapon Manager found".

Try Re-Installing the mod, or try on a fresh copy of the game.

The part that wasn't true was the claim that BOTH KSPEvents and KSPActions are fire once. They're not. KSPActions are boolean toggles.

Well sure, but that's why it would be "toggle on" and then "toggle off" if it was an action, ie, "toggle firing" (on/off). At least I'm pretty sure that's what BD meant anyway but if not he can clarify.

And adding support for using action groups does not imply you then take away the keypress interface.

Oh no, not at all. As I said earlier, the next/prev weapon switch in combination with the keybind is far and away the best all around design for BDA itself. Didn't mean to imply otherwise. I just mean I understand why it wouldn't have been there.

Hey, Bahamuto, harpwner's made a very impressive extension to your mod. When you get the chance do you think you could put it up on the front page with the rest of the extensions?

Parts by other members:

Direct any questions about these to the respective authors, not me

- Naval Artillery System by Acea et al.

- P.E.W. by LORDPrometheus

- Heavy Ordnance Pack by Harpwner

- Acea's Hydra-70 resupply box

High physics range you know ALT+B and just crank up the physics range? I didn't fire a missile at 180km yet but at ~100km without any probs in 0.90

Here's a vid of me engaging a drone at +70km head on.

My game freaks out, lags and doesnt load properly plus leaks huuuge amounts of memory so crashes when changing scenes at high distances... so it's not just doing that.

Keep it at around 25km and it works (-ish, I hope 64 bit works in 1.1), engage a lot of ground targets which load at 11km max anyway.

Baha, can you add alighment indicator for guns and rockets, just like the one you have for your adjustable landing gear? It may need to be more precise tho. Currently it is very difficult to adjust weapons that are attached to different parts.