[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

Don't know yet if this is fixed in 0.10.x, but in 0.9.x, I noticed an odd bug with the AI. 

Sorry in advance for the music. It was playing in another tab.

The AI can pilot flying wings reasonably well if they have enough Brakerudder control (these ones can fly at 400 m/s pulling 6 G with the engines off), but apparently it ceases to concern itself with controlling sideslip below minimum altitude. Here's a video. Within seconds of going under 1410 meters, both of my flying wings sideslip to their doom.

Edited by Pds314

Also to be known is the new AI does weird things with the engine. It shuts it down in the beginning of a turn, then kicks it back on when it straightens out. By this time the plane has slowed down that it becomes a sitting duck.

The new AI is better at dodging and is generally more aggressive, but the engine control is somewhat to be desired. I suppose it does this to keep the plane from stalling, but it does hamper the evasion ability. This is very apparent when the opposing aircraft are in a very tight dogfight (under 600m separation) and both planes are attempting a 6G+ turn.

One idea is for the engine to have a minimum throttle setting (i.e. 25%) so the engine doesn't completely turn off, but still provides enough thrust to maintain momentum in a tight turn.

Edited by GDJ

I may have found a slight bug.
If a craft has multiple turrets it won't activate guard mode
I made a quick thrown together AA turret consisting of 5 millennium cannons but when its in guard mode nothing happens. However if its only one cannon it works fine

edit: ignore this…i got it working

Edited by War Eagle 1

3 hours ago, GDJ said:

Also to be known is the new AI does weird things with the engine. It shuts it down in the beginning of a turn, then kicks it back on when it straightens out. By this time the plane has slowed down that it becomes a sitting duck.

The new AI is better at dodging and is generally more aggressive, but the engine control is somewhat to be desired. I suppose it does this to keep the plane from stalling, but it does hamper the evasion ability. This is very apparent when the opposing aircraft are in a very tight dogfight (under 600m separation) and both planes are attempting a 6G+ turn.

One idea is for the engine to have a minimum throttle setting (i.e. 25%) so the engine doesn't completely turn off, but still provides enough thrust to maintain momentum in a tight turn.

That's something I've noticed as well. Even in 0.9.x, craft would shut their engines off at times when it was unhelpful to their survival.

Sidenote: I've also noticed the new AI steering behavior is MUCH more aggressive. That flying wing was at 20, but now flips out if it's set that high.

Hmm. Welp. BD certainly did something with the sideslip. I think flying wing fighters may have just gone from finicky to impossible because now it looks like the AI is quite happy to intentionally induce a sideslip if it thinks it needs to.

9 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

I'm curious, is there a way to get the Jernas missile turret to follow laser sight/GPS? From my findings I haven't been able to do this. ;.;

You can use the slave turrets feature on either radar or TGP with the missile turrets.

7 hours ago, GDJ said:

Hmm, I put that behavior in to attempt to save planes from killing themselves in FAR, but it was a temporary measure since ferram4 was working on better G-limiting for the AI.  

3 hours ago, Pds314 said:

Hmm. Welp. BD certainly did something with the sideslip. I think flying wing fighters may have just gone from finicky to impossible because now it looks like the AI is quite happy to intentionally induce a sideslip if it thinks it needs to.

I hadn't considered flying wings - the steering behavior assumes yaw stability in certain situations.  I'll see what I can do.

10 minutes ago, BahamutoD said:

You can use the slave turrets feature on either radar or TGP with the missile turrets.

Hmm, I put that behavior in to attempt to save planes from killing themselves in FAR, but it was a temporary measure since ferram4 was working on better G-limiting for the AI.  

I hadn't considered flying wings - the steering behavior assumes yaw stability in certain situations.  I'll see what I can do.

Without the wish to spoil someone's fun ... there's a reason flying wings were never used in real life dogfighting and probably never will. So if you have to adapt a lot of code and never get a fair result with the AI while compromising the behaviour of other designs ... just saying.

I've flown the Go (Ho) 229 a lot in IL2 1946 and it was only suitable for B&Z, hard to fly and easy to flat spin, and totally unsuitable for turn & burn with even the heaviest of fighters. And this is just imaginary stuff using invented aerodynamic lookup tables because the real life version only existed as a prototype.

I stumbled upon a problem while trying to set up a 1v1 dogfight. For some reason, I can only set the options of the last craft I launched while there is more than one craft. When I switch the focus to the other craft, the GUI gets stuck on the last launched craft. I basically can't change the Guard Mode and the trigger on other crafts except one. Please help :(

Edited by alp3r

Now that we have Hydra turrets, can you incorporate that Hydra ammo box into the main download? Turrets need to be reloaded, or their usefulness is quite low.

30 minutes ago, Azimech said:

I've flown the Go (Ho) 229 a lot in IL2 1946 and it was only suitable for B&Z, hard to fly and easy to flat spin, and totally unsuitable for turn & burn with even the heaviest of fighters. And this is just imaginary stuff using invented aerodynamic lookup tables because the real life version only existed as a prototype.

I've flown a few radio controlled wings, and I must say that rudder is not used at all, even if you have it. Well, it may be useful sometimes, in making loops, for example, or when sideslip becomes too large, but not in turns. The turn is aileron - only, you roll and pull the stick.

Edited by sashan

I've ust had a bug when HARM fired, bit didn't decouple. That was a crazy ride on it's rocket motor, and then Boom! :( Don't have a log, unfortunately - was stupid enough to re-launch a game.

33 minutes ago, sashan said:

Now that we have Hydra turrets, can you incorporate that Hydra ammo box into the main download? Turrets need to be reloaded, or their usefulness is quite low.

I've flown a few radio controlled wings, and I must say that rudder is not used at all, even if you have it. Well, it may be useful sometimes, in making loops, for example, or when sideslip becomes too large, but not in turns. The turn is aileron - only, you roll and pull the stick.

For RC flying it's a different thing, in normal flight rudder is always used in during turns to control side slip (i.e. centering the ball) or you'll lose too much energy. It's useful for aiming as well.

17 minutes ago, Azimech said:

For RC flying it's a different thing, in normal flight rudder is always used in during turns to control side slip (i.e. centering the ball) or you'll lose too much energy. It's useful for aiming as well.

Well, it really depends on a pilot, I use rudder for turning just like real airplanes do. I find it hard to fly without rudder.

1 hour ago, BahamutoD said:

Okay, I get that, and I'm not going to disagree with your decision based on that criteria.

Would it be possible to have a minimum engine setting during battles?

4 hours ago, BahamutoD said:

Hey do you have a tutorial for how to do turrets or could you explain it quick please? Thanks in advance!

so far my only grips are that the TOE launcher, bombs and fixed rocket pods for aircraft (still) don't work for guard mode. Also that the 5000 load range is now set and can't be increased so long range cruise missile strikes from aircraft are just about impossible. That said all of those pretty much have some form of alliterative (like just using laser guided missiles for AI Airstikes and ground based cruise missile launchers) Other than that this update is spectacular.

2 hours ago, War Eagle 1 said:

so far my only grips are that the TOE launcher, bombs and fixed rocket pods for aircraft (still) don't work for guard mode. Also that the 5000 load range is now set and can't be increased so long range cruise missile strikes from aircraft are just about impossible. That said all of those pretty much have some form of alliterative (like just using laser guided missiles for AI Airstikes and ground based cruise missile launchers) Other than that this update is spectacular.

You can still set physics loading range using Alt-B.

So, modular missile guidance was changed, I see.

Is there any documentation on what precisely each setting does? I suspect at least for cruise missiles altitude adjustment behaves a little like a PID controller, but I am of course not certain.

If missile guidance does work that way, which parameter corresponds to which setting?

23 hours ago, alp3r said:

I stumbled upon a problem while trying to set up a 1v1 dogfight. For some reason, I can only set the options of the last craft I launched while there is more than one craft. When I switch the focus to the other craft, the GUI gets stuck on the last launched craft. I basically can't change the Guard Mode and the trigger on other crafts except one. Please help :(

Could I have a tad bit of help please? I reinstalled the mod, deleted every other mod but the GUI is still stuck on the last craft.

23 hours ago, alp3r said:

Can you post an output log?

7 hours ago, War Eagle 1 said:

I know. But every time i do it resets back to 5000

That shouldn't happen as long as you are clicking "Apply Physics Distance".

4 hours ago, Avalon304 said:

So can AI wingmen only attck other vessels... because when using 'Attack Pos' any wingman selected just goes into orbiting that position and never attacks.

Yes, and you still need to have guard mode setup and enabled on the wingmen.  Attack Pos essentially just flies them into the area so that guard mode and the usual AI pilot behaviors can take over. 

Edited by BahamutoD