[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

On 2/18/2016 at 8:25 PM, BahamutoD said:

Okay I caught the team label issue in the editor, but for the turret issues, I'd have to take a look at your output log.

The Rocket Turret functions correctly, but the Missile Turret Fails to articulate towards the target, but at least launches, the Patriot Turret fails to open the pods, articulate towards the target and fire.

9 hours ago, V8jester said:

Now what about the people who use one gun and no weapon manger.... Just throwing that out there. The Turrets fire off the mouse all the time and the Rocket Turrets only fire when armed. So there is a method to his madness.

7 hours ago, MarvinCZ said:

I always thought that was a feature, not a bug. I may be using the mod in a non-standard way, but I always launched my missiles and bombs using the "Fire Missile" function of the Weapon Manager, I almost never Arm my weapons.

@BahamutoD I have a question about AA missiles: Do they currently require a direct hit, or can they explode with a proximity fuse? I'm not sure just from observation, but it seems they need a direct hit. If they do, that would be good place for improvement.

Then as a setting it would be ok, a little toggle "fire guns only if weapon manager is armed" on/off.

It's just that I have two action groups: "Next weapon" and "Arm WM", and shoot everything with the click.

7 hours ago, colmo said:

I've been using Kerbal Krash System with BDA. It does mean that targets are rather more resilient to taking hits, as BDA imparts thermal rather than physical damage. I'm hoping someone writes a modlet to make BDA impart KKS damage instead (the thermal method was Baha's way of sidestepping the lack of a damage mechanic). It also occasionally makes for funny sights like this bent missile.

You can exclude parts from the KerbalKrashSystem by adding this code to the cfg's.

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleKerbalKrashSystem_Exclude
		_toleranceScaling = 2.0
		_malleability = 2.0
	}

6 hours ago, dcompart said:

The Rocket Turret functions correctly, but the Missile Turret Fails to articulate towards the target, but at least launches, the Patriot Turret fails to open the pods, articulate towards the target and fire.

The Patriot wasn't shooting because the target was always within your set Gun Range (so never in missile range),

but to figure out why the turrets aren't moving, I need to see your output_log.txt.

Is it just me or does competition mode still break sometimes?  I'll try to fix it for good today.

Edited by BahamutoD

Hey BahamutoD, I just tried the latest version (0.10.3.1) in an otherwise stock install, and did NOT experience the weird floating-off-to-space/can't-launch-anything bug!!! Everything appears to be working again, I'm going to try in a heavily modded install next, I'll let you know how it goes. One thing that may help other people having the same problem (I don't know if this was THE issue...but) -- Turns out I had an old copy of BDArmory on my desktop, which given you noticed it was searching my desktop, may have been connected. I deleted it, unfortunately I didn't think to try 0.10.1 before grabbing the newest version, so I can't say for sure if it was just that, or if recent changes on your end fixed things.

Either way, sooooo stoked!!!

Hotfix v0.10.3.2
= Changes =
- When multiple radars are linked and one loses lock, the one of the others will attempt to take over

= Fixes =
- Fix competition issues again
- Fixed radar animation on track-only radar
- Fixed fire animation on low RoF guns
- Hid debug listing of radar contacts

8 minutes ago, andreasblom said:

are your weapons supposed to deactivate when you hit a friendly? (I wanted to shoot down a rocket as it was going up w/ a goalkeeper but it just deactivated when I hit and destroyed a few parts)

No, did you have guard mode on or something?

Edited by BahamutoD

4 minutes ago, graphite747 said:

Hey BahamutoD, I just tried the latest version (0.10.3.1) in an otherwise stock install, and did NOT experience the weird floating-off-to-space/can't-launch-anything bug!!! Everything appears to be working again, I'm going to try in a heavily modded install next, I'll let you know how it goes. One thing that may help other people having the same problem (I don't know if this was THE issue...but) -- Turns out I had an old copy of BDArmory on my desktop, which given you noticed it was searching my desktop, may have been connected. I deleted it, unfortunately I didn't think to try 0.10.1 before grabbing the newest version, so I can't say for sure if it was just that, or if recent changes on your end fixed things.

Either way, sooooo stoked!!!

That is really strange!  Well, glad you got it working now.

2 minutes ago, tetryds said:

@BahamutoD take your time to fix the competition mode, BAD-T starts today but there will be plenty of time for people to build their airplanes before battles start happening.

Hah, thanks for the peace of mind.

It should be pretty good now.  At least the "starting competition..." issue should be gone for good.

I wasn't able to pinpoint why sometimes pilots of both teams will orbit the same point and never separate, but its rare, and if it happens again, a flight revert or quickload will fix it.

Apropos orbiting: After a while, especially if they're down to just one plane on either team, they'll just start orbiting eachother forever. I've tried several different designs against each other, and unless the whole battle is won early on, they will end up chasing each other in huge circles. (I have a feeling it's always clockwise, too)

Now I obviously have no idea how you made the AI work as well as it does, but would it be possible to toss in some sort of pattern recognition? Something like "I've now done this one huge and roughly circular pattern X times, time to try bleeding off airspeed/breaking left/something else"?

Update on the broken launchpad/runway glitch: I was able to reproduce the bug again, however this time I figured it out (I'm fairly certain). In Linux, instead of 'create a shortcut' there's 'make a link'.. I had been launching KSP from a link on my desktop, and it would appear that this somehow convinces BDArmory's (and some of KSP's -- the output log and physics files etc kept appearing on the desktop too) file searching that the desktop is the root game directory! It explains why it would have been searching on my desktop for GPSTargets.cfg and Settings.cfg, and it works perfectly if I browse to the KSP folder and launch right from there. So, Linux (or Ubuntu exclusively?) is the problem, not BDArmory specifically, and the fix is simple if mildly inconvenient.

Squashed!!

Edited by graphite747
refinement

5 hours ago, BahamutoD said:

The Patriot wasn't shooting because the target was always within your set Gun Range (so never in missile range),

but to figure out why the turrets aren't moving, I need to see your output_log.txt.

Is it just me or does competition mode still break sometimes?  I'll try to fix it for good today.

Cheers man! I originally thought that Visual Range was the range to track, and Gun Range was the range for any asset to fire guns/launch missiles, great to know that visual range is the fire range for missiles and gun range are for guns! Ha don't work to hard! you've been crazy busy bug smashing! Much appreciated!

I'm watching a YouTube video of someone tackling the AI module for the first time. It's giving me a few insights.

One of my most fun achievements with BDA was creating a VTOL that the AI could launch vertically. ATM, stock parts are awful for the job, a typical plane needs 6 Juno engines and the extra mass and drag (despite being stowed in a Mk2 cargo bay) ruin performance, but it can be done. The trick is using action group bindings, most importantly Gear.

In the aforementioned video, he was trying to make a swing-wing. Sadly, there hasn't been an integrated single swing-wing part since the days of Damned Aerospace. I suspect Infernal Robotics and the IR sequencer now create enough action group hooks that, given a certain state (E g. Gear activation, most useful for transitioning from take off to level flight) it could operate a swing wing.

BDA has several AI pilot 'states' - Gain Alt, Evading, Extending etc. A potentially useful feature would be the ability to trip an action group when a given state becomes active.

1 hour ago, Styles2304 said:

hey random request here . . . but have you considered making a radial mount decoupler that is selectable by the weapons manager for things like drop tanks?

This fits into the idea of having BDA able to interact with action groups. E.g. if guard mode is activated, do you want the AI to drop the extra mass to increase manoeuvrability?

In the meantime, try Smart Parts - they can iirc drop tanks when they're empty.

21 hours ago, graphite747 said:

Update on the broken launchpad/runway glitch: I was able to reproduce the bug again, however this time I figured it out (I'm fairly certain). In Linux, instead of 'create a shortcut' there's 'make a link'.. I had been launching KSP from a link on my desktop, and it would appear that this somehow convinces BDArmory's (and some of KSP's -- the output log and physics files etc kept appearing on the desktop too) file searching that the desktop is the root game directory! It explains why it would have been searching on my desktop for GPSTargets.cfg and Settings.cfg, and it works perfectly if I browse to the KSP folder and launch right from there. So, Linux (or Ubuntu exclusively?) is the problem, not BDArmory specifically, and the fix is simple if mildly inconvenient.

Squashed!!

Ah I noticed that this happened when I ran KSP through a .bat script, but I didn't expect that that was also your problem.  Good to know.

22 hours ago, Veskenapper said:

Apropos orbiting: After a while, especially if they're down to just one plane on either team, they'll just start orbiting eachother forever. I've tried several different designs against each other, and unless the whole battle is won early on, they will end up chasing each other in huge circles. (I have a feeling it's always clockwise, too)

Now I obviously have no idea how you made the AI work as well as it does, but would it be possible to toss in some sort of pattern recognition? Something like "I've now done this one huge and roughly circular pattern X times, time to try bleeding off airspeed/breaking left/something else"?

They have a timer that counts down when they're turning and not making progress on the target, after which they should extend, but I also noticed that it doesn't happen sometimes.  I'll look for ways to improve this.

20 hours ago, dcompart said:

Cheers man! I originally thought that Visual Range was the range to track, and Gun Range was the range for any asset to fire guns/launch missiles, great to know that visual range is the fire range for missiles and gun range are for guns! Ha don't work to hard! you've been crazy busy bug smashing! Much appreciated!

Visual range is just the range for detecting targets without radar, and the gun range is the barrier between using guns or missiles.  Check out the wiki for more info: http://bdarmory.wikia.com/wiki/Guard_Mode

Edited by BahamutoD