[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

On 11.04.2016 at 5:42 PM, BahamutoD said:

Vessels are given a "heat score" based on the temp of the hottest part and heat being generated, and the heatThreshold is the lowest score it will chase.

Is it possible to give some "heat skore" aka heat signature to missiles? Currently they can't be targeted with infrared guided missiles - while RIM-116 is infrared-guided and can target cruise missiles IRL.

Sorry for wasting your time BD, looks like it was my mistake with the aircraft not engaging each other. I'm embarassed to admit what was going on. My bad! Everything looks good, although I'm sad that I can't launch patrol aircraft under AI pilot then switch to the island airfield and launch a strike. I wish that game limitation could be done away with!

That said, I still can't get physics load distance to work. Is it currently still disabled? I've got it set to 40km but even when I break the 10km max load-in barrier the planes I'm flying away from on the ground still unload at 10k.

And another quick question, since I'm just catching up to all the recent features... should I be able to 'overfly' a vessel on the ground after loading it in and order it to take off with Wing Command? Because if I have a vessel at the island and spawn at the main airfield, I can't seem to select the vessel at the island from the air and issue him commands. On the other hand, the vessel on the ground at the island can select and issue commands to the airborne. Bug?

Edited by Volt

29 minutes ago, Volt said:

Sorry for wasting your time BD, looks like it was my mistake with the aircraft not engaging each other. I'm embarassed to admit what was going on. My bad! Everything looks good, although I'm sad that I can't launch patrol aircraft under AI pilot then switch to the island airfield and launch a strike. I wish that game limitation could be done away with!

That said, I still can't get physics load distance to work. Is it currently still disabled? I've got it set to 40km but even when I break the 10km max load-in barrier the planes I'm flying away from on the ground still unload at 10k.

And another quick question, since I'm just catching up to all the recent features... should I be able to 'overfly' a vessel on the ground after loading it in and order it to take off with Wing Command? Because if I have a vessel at the island and spawn at the main airfield, I can't seem to select the vessel at the island from the air and issue him commands. On the other hand, the vessel on the ground at the island can select and issue commands to the airborne. Bug?

Vessels on the ground (un)load around 8km away from the craft in focus. In the air, they stay loaded until 22.5km I think. Thus, focusing on a craft in the air, say, 15km from a grounded vessel, won't see the grounded vessel because it is not loaded, but switching to the grounded vessel, you will be able to see the airborne craft.

8 minutes ago, Volt said:

Okay. Sounds like stock KSP hardcoded stuff is reducing the functionality of the mod... how irritating.

things like boats can still be loaded in at the BDA physics range. 
So say you have an airplane and you are flying towards a boat and a ground based SAM site. You also have the physics range set to say 20 and the targets are 15km away. Sense the boat is in water the boat will physics load up before before the SAM

5 minutes ago, War Eagle 1 said:

So say you have an airplane and you are flying towards a boat and a ground based SAM site. You also have the physics range set to say 20 and the targets are 15km away. Sense the boat is in water the boat will physics load up before before the SAM

I've also noticed that. IMO it's because boat doesn't need terrain collision meshes, and simulating water collisions doesn't take up memory - water level is same everywhere. SO, splashed down vessels are treated similarly to those in flight.

1 hour ago, sashan said:

I've also noticed that. IMO it's because boat doesn't need terrain collision meshes, and simulating water collisions doesn't take up memory - water level is same everywhere. SO, splashed down vessels are treated similarly to those in flight.

Sadly there are some bugs that prevent boats from being used. For example if you place a boat, go back to space center then go back to the boat it will explode

5 hours ago, Linkdeous said:

Hi BahamutoD, i wanted to ask you something. It's about addon for this mod, does ther eis any FAQ to how to create addon for BDArmory ? Becasue i'm somewhat good to medelling/programming, and i really wanted to make a addon for this awesome mods, thanks you ^^

Not sure if this is what you are after but Prometheus made a few tutorials on how to make weapons for BDA here. A few things are no longer valid but use common sense and they'll point you in the right direction.

18 minutes ago, War Eagle 1 said:

Sadly there are some bugs that prevent boats from being used. For example if you place a boat, go back to space center then go back to the boat it will explode

Explode.... or fly into the air like not-so-majestic birds depending on what boat parts mod you are using...

e0vMIC6.jpg

Just now, Wraith977 said:

Not sure if this is what you are after but Prometheus made a few tutorials on how to make weapons for BDA here. A few things are no longer valid but use common sense and they'll point you in the right direction.

Explode.... or fly into the air like not-so-majestic birds depending on what boat parts mod you are using...

e0vMIC6.jpg

Ive never seen Large Boat Parts fly…I've seen them jump and rip apart but not fly.

2 hours ago, War Eagle 1 said:

Ive never seen Large Boat Parts fly…I've seen them jump and rip apart but not fly.

I have :)

If the LBP Engines are scaled too large and there are too many. If the boat / engines raise out of the water slightly. The boat can fly due to the ridiculous thrust produced by the engines

Typically I can't provoke "ghost avoidance" when I'm videoing... I will keep searching for evidence.

One more little request: could you expose the "I'm shooting" multiplier for the PD controller? the big problem with PIDs for aircraft use is the control sensitivity being very different at different parts of the flight regime - supersonic at 18km will have similar dynamic pressure to quite low subsonic at much lower altitudes, but obviously they're different control problems. The difference between 200kts and 450kts at low altitudes is large, if you tune for stability at 450kts then you can easily end up with a less than optimally responsive craft at 200. The solution to it all might be in control response tuning ( the dynamic deflection mod goes some way to helping, but that is based on Q only so it doesn't differentiate between "I'm so slow on landing I'm about to stall" and "I'm very high up" ) rather than input tuning which might be a little outside the bounds of BDA, but the controller increasing sensitivity while shooting can be detrimental rather than helpful depending on craft so it'd be good to be able to tune it.

11 hours ago, Van Disaster said:

Typically I can't provoke "ghost avoidance" when I'm videoing... I will keep searching for evidence.

One more little request: could you expose the "I'm shooting" multiplier for the PD controller? the big problem with PIDs for aircraft use is the control sensitivity being very different at different parts of the flight regime - supersonic at 18km will have similar dynamic pressure to quite low subsonic at much lower altitudes, but obviously they're different control problems. The difference between 200kts and 450kts at low altitudes is large, if you tune for stability at 450kts then you can easily end up with a less than optimally responsive craft at 200. The solution to it all might be in control response tuning ( the dynamic deflection mod goes some way to helping, but that is based on Q only so it doesn't differentiate between "I'm so slow on landing I'm about to stall" and "I'm very high up" ) rather than input tuning which might be a little outside the bounds of BDA, but the controller increasing sensitivity while shooting can be detrimental rather than helpful depending on craft so it'd be good to be able to tune it.

As I know, auto pilot does not use PID controller in BDA.

Hi, @BahamutoD, I have a few quick questions:

1. Will teammates override their target settings to help each other out? Say, will a missile-targeting plane from team A attack a plane from team B if it's attacking the second A plane?

2. I noticed that the AIM-120s flash in the radome screen when launched. How does their tracking work? Do you have to keep the target centered for a certain amount of time?

Thanks

On 12-4-2016 at 1:35 AM, War Eagle 1 said:

The source of the problem is a stock bug which was partly solved in 1.1, it's related to the amount of mass submerged, the more mass the more violent the effect. I've made a test part and included it in a bug report (#8899). I don't think they consider it high priority (compared with the rest of the problems, it surely isn't) nor have the resources to solve it in the near future.

Question: what's the reasoning behind weapon impact heating up part internals instead of skin? Seems counterintuitive.

I understand weapon impact heat damage looks at crash tolerance and ignores part thermal mass. While this is understandable, I request thermal mass be a part of the method.

Edited by Azimech

On 12/4/2016 at 1:33 AM, Wraith977 said:

e0vMIC6.jpg

That was exactly the tutorial i needed for my purpose :D ,really ,thanks you very much :lol:

Im using the latest version 0.10.4.1 with KSP 1.0.5 and guards wont shoot each other in the air. AI pilots work perfectly and shoot at each other, and when the craft is landed turrets work etc. However when i have a plane in the air, with turrets (guard mode is properly configured, different teams, ammo) they wont shoot each other unless they are both landed. I have no idea what go being going wrong?

48 minutes ago, tomtom100 said:

Is there better way to check heat signature than that tiny window in debug mode? Becouse i want to know how good that wing config prevent heat ground-air rocket locking.

Spoiler

13002438_947912155322578_910298389839327

If you mean that square in the upper left by the clock that isn't what that is, it's radar related. Heat score is what you want to watch. Second the system doesn't actually need to see the part to detect heat it looks at game data that you can't really hide physically, so what you are doing there is pointless.

Edited by Svm420

5 hours ago, Svm420 said:

If you mean that square in the upper left by the clock that isn't what that is, it's radar related. Heat score is what you want to watch. Second the system doesn't actually need to see the part to detect heat it looks at game data that you can't really hide physically, so what you are doing there is pointless.

So when my heat score is 0 then plane is unlockable by heat rockets?

On 4/11/2016 at 0:49 PM, War Eagle 1 said:

Did this get fixed?

There were no major fixes or changes from the current version to the pre-release version other than compatibility fixes.

On 4/11/2016 at 1:19 PM, inigma said:

I saw no errors in the log, but I don't think it is verbose. Using the vid above, do you think you might be able to duplicate it in your environment? Let me know how I can test, and what you need so I can get you data! :)

Hmm, I'll give it a look later once KSP 1.1 is finalized.  Could you open an issue on the BDArmory github with as many details as you can?  That would be really helpful later.

On 4/11/2016 at 4:29 PM, drtricky said:

It simply refuses to use weapons against missiles when it is set to all targets. I noticed however it works when a weapon manager is on a vehicle that is not moving and on the ground. How do I obtain and send you debug logs?

Also, it seems to me that 30mm rounds are noticeably less powerful than 20mm rounds. I have a plane with an mk3 cockpit, and the cockpit withstood six 30mm hits before being nearly destroyed. But it conversely only took two 20mm hits to nearly destroy the mk3 cockpit. I've noticed it applies not just to the cockpit, it applies to other parts like FAT-455 wings and mk1 inline cockpits too.

EDIT: now one of my aircraft is experiencing other AI issues. It not only fires only one missile per target regardless of the weapons manager's settings, it also refuses to fire its vulcans, even though it is within range and position to use them, and has ammo. In terms of behavior, I've also noticed it makes no attempt to turn when the aircraft it is chasing turns around and begins shooting at it. It almost seems to act like the other aircraft isn't there until the gunfire shows up. Solved the issue!

Ah, airborne guards are prohibited from engaging missiles unless they have an anti-missile laser.  This was to prevent fighters from chasing missiles with their fixed guns.  I plan to let you customize guard behaviors a lot more eventually.

On 4/13/2016 at 9:07 AM, Van Disaster said:

One more little request: could you expose ..snip

I plan to allow more tuning of the pilot controller eventually.

On 4/14/2016 at 1:03 AM, Dman979 said:

Hi, @BahamutoD, I have a few quick questions:

1. Will teammates override their target settings to help each other out? Say, will a missile-targeting plane from team A attack a plane from team B if it's attacking the second A plane?

2. I noticed that the AIM-120s flash in the radome screen when launched. How does their tracking work? Do you have to keep the target centered for a certain amount of time?

Thanks

1. Yes, they should.

2. If you're further away than the AIM-120's active radar range (I think it's 8km), you have to maintain lock.  Once the radar displays "ACTIVE", the missile's radar has taken over and you can break lock.

On 4/14/2016 at 4:48 AM, Azimech said:

Question: what's the reasoning behind weapon impact heating up part internals instead of skin? Seems counterintuitive.

I understand weapon impact heat damage looks at crash tolerance and ignores part thermal mass. While this is understandable, I request thermal mass be a part of the method.

It's code from before skin temperature was added to the game.  I haven't done the research to determine the best course of action here.

21 hours ago, Wolf123 said:

Im using the latest version 0.10.4.1 with KSP 1.0.5 and guards wont shoot each other in the air. AI pilots work perfectly and shoot at each other, and when the craft is landed turrets work etc. However when i have a plane in the air, with turrets (guard mode is properly configured, different teams, ammo) they wont shoot each other unless they are both landed. I have no idea what go being going wrong?

Its hard to say without more details or logs :(

55 minutes ago, tomtom100 said:

So when my heat score is 0 then plane is unlockable by heat rockets?

Heat score only gets updated when something is trying to get a heat lock.  Keep an eye on it when you're flying over a heat missile turret.  

13 minutes ago, BahamutoD said:

Ah, airborne guards are prohibited from engaging missiles unless they have an anti-missile laser.  This was to prevent fighters from chasing missiles with their fixed guns.  I plan to let you customize guard behaviors a lot more eventually.

I have a plane with USAF Lasers set to target everything, and it never attempts to engage enemy missiles with those lasers. I have another plane with USAF Lasers that is set to target only missiles, and it works as expected. Do USAF lasers not count as anti-missile lasers?

Edited by drtricky

On 14/04/2016 at 1:41 AM, YauS said:

As I know, auto pilot does not use PID controller in BDA.

Reasonably certain Steer Factor == proportional coeff, and Steer Damping == derivative coeff. There's at least one extra gain coefficient generated by the AI. Whether there's one PD controller under the bonnet or several I've not checked ( and I still haven't got round to looking at the source fully... )