[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

Yes, this is right, and I think it would be great as a gameplay mechanic.

A good way to escape the missiles would be to corkscrew towards the missile while deploying flares.

So, being behind your target is a big advantage not only for locking on it but you also have a higher chance to hit.

I just hope this does not turn into people covering their engines with wing parts to make them harder to lock on, maybe you could just consider the direction the engine is facing instead :P

Edit: the B-2 Spirit bomber is a good obvious example of placing the engines in a way the engine signature is occluded.

The way the occlusion test works is it fires a raycast towards the part, and if the point the ray hits is greater than a certain distance away from the part's origin, it fails. Right now that threshold is 5m, so a thin wing covering the engine won't block it :)

how will you be implimenting a countermeasure for the AMRAAM's? i thought you would be implementing a jammer but...

The two options I have in mind are chaff, which would work similar to flares, except instead of the missile locking onto the chaff, they would just lose the lock on the original target, and ECM which would deny range and velocity data, so the missile would be forced into pure pursuit instead of lead pursuit, making it easier to avoid with proper maneuvers.

Bahamuto, can you consider writing a plugin that removes the "Cannot switch in the atmosphere" message?

Because 1. It's annoying. 2. It really nullifies some advantages of the extended load range. 3. It really ruins the setup of some of my dogfights.

I apologize if this has been asked a lot/or already tried and it's not possible. I was just wondering if you were aware of this and had any plans to remove it.

(I may be pushing too far but, a plugin that puts kerbals on seats on launch? I REALLY want to strap Jeb to a modular Air-to-surface missile without all the hassle)

1. I can't answer that :D

2. try a mod called take command :wink:

The two options I have in mind are chaff, which would work similar to flares, except instead of the missile locking onto the chaff, they would just lose the lock on the original target, and ECM which would deny range and velocity data, so the missile would be forced into pure pursuit instead of lead pursuit, making it easier to avoid with proper maneuvers.

I like number 2. It sounds a lot more fun. :)

The way the occlusion test works is it fires a raycast towards the part, and if the point the ray hits is greater than a certain distance away from the part's origin, it fails. Right now that threshold is 5m, so a thin wing covering the engine won't block it :)

Well, it should be less than that.

Actually, there should be different "levels" of blockage, but for gameplay purposes you could just tweak this to see which value fits better.

Hey guys, I have a quick question.

I downloaded 1.0.4 and added the latest BDarmory download, however it seems to not work. No textures show up for the part models. They're all white.

Did I do something wrong, or did I miss the memo that BDarmory doesn't work for 1.0.4?

Thanks in advance :D

BD, if you have trouble figuring out what battle mechanics are "realistic," you can (maybe?) go find someone on these forums who's a fighter pilot, ask them; they're probably everywhere.

Even I know two fighter pilots in training.

I need an opinion on this though: The way it's set up now, if the plane turns towards the missile, the hot engines are occluded by the front of the plane and the missile usually loses lock. Is this realistic? Should I keep it that way?

In older IR missiles yes. But for newer generations of IR missiles like the AIM-9X they are all aspect missiles. Which means they will pick up the heat on the leading edge of the aircraft along with the heat of the engines for a target.

It is a bit easier to "spoof" an IR missile that is fired from a head on engagement then from the one fired at your rear.

How will the turret re-write effect turrets? Will we just have to do some .cfg fiddling? Or will it be re-assigning scripts? Also will it be easier to make custom turrets?

- - - Updated - - -

Also what scripts get applied to what parts of the turret?

- - - Updated - - -

Actually i can't do anything with the scripts anyway because they apparently have compiler errors.

I'm working on heat still. Here's a clip (with debug lines enabled) showing an optimal firing direction indicator, and usage of flares. The missile is temporarily distracted by the flares as they fall in front of it's seeker, but it regains lock on the plane which has full thrusting turbo jets (very hot).

That's pretty close to spot on. Once the seeker is tracking a target it narrows its FOV (usually from 5° to 2.5° for seekers like on the IRIS-T, though those FOV numbers are usually lower at 2° to 1°, and obviously vary with each missile type) as part of its countermeasure rejection logic routine. Aircraft turn to get out of the seeker FOV before it gimbals its sensor to maintain its lock; when blinded by flares it won't know which way to "look" which is how you lose an IR track for most missiles. Older single colour spin scan seekers are highly susceptible to IRCM, but the newer two colour conical scan seekers have much better rejection logic.

I need an opinion on this though: The way it's set up now, if the plane turns towards the missile, the hot engines are occluded by the front of the plane and the missile usually loses lock. Is this realistic? Should I keep it that way?

It's realistic for early seekers, but modern all-aspect seekers can see the leading edges of aircraft and use that for targeting. If people like I can go more in depth on the subject.

BD, if you have trouble figuring out what battle mechanics are "realistic," you can (maybe?) go find someone on these forums who's a fighter pilot, ask them; they're probably everywhere.

Even I know two fighter pilots in training.

I read a lot of Dale Brown, does that count?

Thanks for the info on heat seekers, guys. I think I'll let it be a configurable option - that way we'll have space to have certain heat seekers that are better than others, which would be unlocked later in the tech tree (when we have career and contracts down the road?)

How will the turret re-write effect turrets? Will we just have to do some .cfg fiddling? Or will it be re-assigning scripts? Also will it be easier to make custom turrets?

You'd have to make a few adjustments to transforms and the hierarchy in unity for existing turrets, but it will make it much less confusing for making new ones. You don't actually assign any scripts within unity other than lights or particle emitters. For part modules, you add them in the part config.

With heat seeking at a point where all that's left is tweaking, a bit if HUD work, and making sure AI doesn't fire without a lock, I've began work on radars. So far I've got the two types of scanning done.

One is 360degree rotating radar for ground based detection radars or AWACs.

The other is a forward facing radar that sweeps over a certain field of view, like on fighters.

Here it is so far: (no models or locking yet)

You'd have to make a few adjustments to transforms and the hierarchy in unity for existing turrets, but it will make it much less confusing for making new ones. You don't actually assign any scripts within unity other than lights or particle emitters. For part modules, you add them in the part config.

With heat seeking at a point where all that's left is tweaking, a bit if HUD work, and making sure AI doesn't fire without a lock, I've began work on radars. So far I've got the two types of scanning done.

One is 360degree rotating radar for ground based detection radars or AWACs.

The other is a forward facing radar that sweeps over a certain field of view, like on fighters.

Here it is so far: (no models or locking yet)

One minor request on what looks to be an outstanding addition to the plugin.

For the radar display can you put a color or icon for it being higher, lower or same alt as the tracking radar. I know a modern radar on like the F-15C Eagle and F-16 will show the altitude of the target right next to it on the screen, in 1kft.

main-qimg-a566c906180e37e2eb5e1d948cd2239e1

44777588.cms

You can see in this picture the radar is in FCR mode, with 3 possible hostile targets on it. 1 of which is locked, and is at 13kft moving roughly towards the firing aircraft.

Edited by Hodo