[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

Hey Baha I have a bug report/feature request (Putting this as both since I don't know if it was a bug or just isn't in there).

Can you set it up so that the FLIR/Targeting Pod camera can be controlled by a joystick HAT switch? Honestly it just seems to make since to set it up like that to me.

Have you tried the key binding?

Actually, my Kerman Class Cruiser engaged 4 incoming mavericks and shot them down with 2 goalkeepers, then engaged the stearwing that launched them with 8 AMMRAMs.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you tried flying slower over them? In the video you were starting to get Mach effects. The new Guard and AI are smart enough to not waste a missile if it can't even catch up to you.

when my plane went over it wasnt Mach, it only become Mach after the fact

So I was testing some very asymmetric combat scenarios. The AI needs a stand-off distance setting, maybe one particular to each kind of weapon, like 2 km for AIM120, 500 m for AIM9 and 50 m for guns/cannons. The AI needs variable minimum speed setting as well. In short when a large-fast fighter goes up against a small-slow but nibble fighter the fast fighter tries to maneuver in close like it was also small-slow and nimble, and gets utterly destroyed. There needs to be a way to program a fighter to stay high and fast, swoop in, fire missiles and fly away, turn around when far and repeat, it should only go to cannons and close in fighting if it has no missiles.

I tried playing around with the altitude settings but this resulted in the big fighter not willing to pitch down enough to lock its weapons on the small fighter. Really need to change the minimum altitude setting to no treat that limit as if it was the ground.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Likely an accident of the copy and paste nature of making config files. In any event, the actual mass of a .50 AN/M2 aircraft machinegun is 27.68 kg.

...Did you make snarking noises when you typed that? Anyways the point is the the weight needs to be reduced way WAY down. It took less then a minute.

http://www./download/q9672i2dlg08s65/browninganm2.cfg

BD, can you allow us to change the keybinding for slewing the radar and targeting ball to an axis binding, so I can use a hat switch to control it? Currently I can only use keys on the keyboard, and that makes me take a hand off my joystick.:confused:
The hat switch actually counts as 8 buttons usually so it should work, but right now only one direction seems to be getting recognized for me (hat down). This could be a problem with the default Unity input system, and I won't be able to work around it without some external input plugin.. we'll see.
I have a bug with the guards. Guards on the ground don't attack air targets, even in range.

I use Linux Mint 17.2 and start KSP with " LC_ALL=C ./KSP.x86_64 ".

Ferram Aerospace and Stock Bug Fix are installed too.

Baha, im having a problem with SAM sites not engaging. here is a video https://youtu.be/dilFV6JYKUY

EDIT: I tried the AMMRAM, it did the same thing.

I'm unable to reproduce these issues.

Please provide some more details, or try again with "debug labels" enabled in the settings, and send me your log. Otherwise I have no idea what might be going wrong and can't help you.

Baha is it possible now to have a working rocket launcher turret? Or is it unconcerned in the current version?

PS: My teammates and I tried to get one to follow the mouse and fire normally for several hours, and finally we failed.

PS2: The KAS config is now useless please remove the link on OP thx

Currently no. While the turret module is now separate and can be used with other things, the support for it needs to be implemented in the rocket launcher module. It will be simple, but I haven't got around to it.

Ok so I think I have Guard Mode now working on my Base Defense units. It looks like I have to get out of targetable range, 2000 meters before changing teams. Is this intentional? @BahamutoD

That shouldn't be the case. I'll need more details to figure out what could be going wrong.

I was playing with contracts and I ran in a peculiar bug. I made a contract that spawns an aircraft at 1000m, with pilot, guard and engines activated, so when the battle starts, it starts to fly just nice.

What happens tough is that it's bot invisible on radar from my plane and fails to launch missiles at me (but it fires with gun). My bet is that somehow the enemy craft didn't "take off" and therefore still count as "landed".

If that's the case, you should check with the contract configurator guy (I assume that's what you're using).

The hat switch actually counts as 8 buttons usually so it should work, but right now only one direction seems to be getting recognized for me (hat down). This could be a problem with the default Unity input system, and I won't be able to work around it without some external input plugin.. we'll see.

That's the thing. Stock KSP picks it up just fine.

Please provide some more details, or try again with "debug labels" enabled in the settings, and send me your log. Otherwise I have no idea what might be going wrong and can't help you.

Currently no. While the turret module is now separate and can be used with other things, the support for it needs to be implemented in the rocket launcher module. It will be simple, but I haven't got around to it.

That shouldn't be the case. I'll need more details to figure out what could be going wrong.

If that's the case, you should check with the contract configurator guy (I assume that's what you're using).

It might just be that SAM truck because my cruiser shot down a stearwing with 8 AMMRAMS that launched 4 mavericks that the ship also successfully shot down

Easy. Decoy radar site or (i would need to test) for heat seeking missiles that do not need a radar lock

They are too short ranged for that, so even if you can use a radar they won't lock on until later, and yeah... I don't see the advantage at all. They will work as if they didn't have a radar or launch way too early.

Supposedly the radar is meant for detecting anything flying within a huge range of it, to use in a stationary site that creates a radar zone of control over your airspace so that you will know if something flies there. Then you can warn the SAMs to standby (Which are using smaller locking ones, at shorter range) or the best option, scramble interceptors. A bomber doesn't stand a chance if a fighter wing gets to take off and cut it off en route to the target.

Of course, loading range and the tracking station mean you will always know if anybody is flying anywhere. There just isn't the same airspace/intelligence aspect to KSP that made that big radar a thing IRL.

It might just be that SAM truck because my cruiser shot down a stearwing with 8 AMMRAMS that launched 4 mavericks that the ship also successfully shot down

It could be your decouple settings for the missiles on that truck. If it's set with an ignition delay, the clearance detection could be tripping since it knows the missile will collide with the bottom or the other side of the launcher.

That's the thing. Stock KSP picks it up just fine.

I don't yet know how to access KSP's input binding stuff, so I'll look into it.

So I was testing some very asymmetric combat scenarios. The AI needs a stand-off distance setting, maybe one particular to each kind of weapon, like 2 km for AIM120, 500 m for AIM9 and 50 m for guns/cannons.

Yup, its on the todo list.

Can someone explain why I would wanna use the large detection radar? It doesn't lock!

The main purpose is for AI/Guards to detect enemies - just to know they exist and where they are.

Hey Bahamuto, first of all I just want to say thank you for this awesome mod. I have been having an enormous amount of fun with it. You must be a busy guy, and probably get bombarded with 8 million requests per second for features. I was an all stock guy but suddenly after playing with kOS I downloaded a BUNCH of mods - well, the ones that are high quality anyway. Let's just say some mods, I removed. I have a quick question - I'm wondering how I can integrate the usage of kOS with your parts. For instance, if I wanted to write a script in kOS that would automatically set the targeting pod to a particular geoposition. In my flight sim DCS, in the A-10C I can do something similar to that by slewing my TGP to a pre-loaded waypoint.

Hey Bahamuto, first of all I just want to say thank you for this awesome mod. I have been having an enormous amount of fun with it. You must be a busy guy, and probably get bombarded with 8 million requests per second for features. I was an all stock guy but suddenly after playing with kOS I downloaded a BUNCH of mods - well, the ones that are high quality anyway. Let's just say some mods, I removed. I have a quick question - I'm wondering how I can integrate the usage of kOS with your parts. For instance, if I wanted to write a script in kOS that would automatically set the targeting pod to a particular geoposition. In my flight sim DCS, in the A-10C I can do something similar to that by slewing my TGP to a pre-loaded waypoint.

You can do that with the GPS system. Have a gps point selected and click the GPS button the the targeting pod GUI.

You can do that with the GPS system. Have a gps point selected and click the GPS button the the targeting pod GUI.

I'll explain more clearly, sorry. I am aware that you can slew the targeting pod to a certain position on the ground, and then send those coordinates to the GPS Coordinator and store coordinates that way which the targeting pod can be subsequently slewed to. The specific thing I'm curious about, however, is how I can use kOS to pass the same coordinate information to the GPS Coordinator and/or targeting pod from a script. This would be similar to how a pilot already has mission data loaded into his plane before taking off. However, if there's already a way to do this just let me know. I'm hoping that there's some link or somewhere that I can see all the bahamuto variables, commands, functions, etc. so that I can manipulate his parts in automation, but I'm not going to be pushy about it because ultimately he may not want to expose his intellectual property to that extent, which I'd totally understand.

I only have limited knowledge of kOS, so I don't know if/how it can access fields from part modules. I'll look into it though. If its simple enough, I'd also like people to be able to write their own autopilot AIs that can use the sensors and weapons.

I watched the video, tried to reproduce it and it worked. The difference was that I always used drone parts and never put any kerbals inside the defender unit.

Can someone explain why I would wanna use the large detection radar? It doesn't lock!

The "large detection radar" is an Early Warning Radar (EWR) and its job is to detect aircraft at long ranges. The "TWS locking radar" is a combination of Target Tracking Radar (TTR) and Fire Control Radar (FCR) and it is supposed to get data transferred to it in what is called an EWR Passdown - that is to say, the EWR tells the TTR where to point, and whether to got active or stay quiet. In KSP's limited battlespace, the AI should keep the TTR off if there is an EWR present on its side. The much more powerful EWR continually scans the area, and the AI should only allow the TTR to go active when the EWR detects something within the search range of the TTR; the TTR then looks for the target, activates its FCR to lock up the target, and fires its missile/guns at it. If the EWR is taken out, or there isn't one present, or the system doesn't have a datalink (I can't remember what Baha called his datalink part... radar receiver?) only then should the AI should use the TTR as a search radar.

On another topic:

The current b-scope has the icons fade out after an azimuth sweep; because I was messing with stealth parts I assumed it was because the target was fading out of track due to RCS reduction. Turns out it does this for all targets. On a digital scope the icons don't fade out between sweeps - the fading out people associate with radar was because prior to LCD digital displays, they used old phosphorus tubes on the PPI screens, whose dwell time was long enough to make a pip stay on the screen so people could identify its position and bearing - making it popular in movies for displaying radar sets because the audience could interpret what they saw much more easily. On a real B-scope, the icon stays in its position until the next sweep - and will start blinking if the contact is lost at its last location for 3-5 sweeps depending on the radar model. Hopefully Baha will consider fixing this for the next update. :)

Hey BahamutoD, please consider this small feature request: could you make an "auto mode" for the radar data receiver where if the "auto mode" is activated and the receiver is not connected to any radar, it will connect to the first available allied radar? (optional, preferring tracking radars)

This is needed for making systems of turrets using one radard in contracts configurator (since you have no way of specifying a radar to connect to in either contract or .craft AFAIK)

Also will be useful to create a more robust turrets defence system that can survive the death of a single radar.

It should be quite easy, i would do that myself but, ehm, i've not visual studio installed at the moment and i think that it will require more time to setup the development enviroment than actually doing the changes in the code.

Thx

I only have limited knowledge of kOS, so I don't know if/how it can access fields from part modules. I'll look into it though. If its simple enough, I'd also like people to be able to write their own autopilot AIs that can use the sensors and weapons.

Thanks bahamuto, I appreciate it. I'll throw in this link and a bit of example code from there that may be relevant. In that example, I'm thinking the same could possibly be done with your parts. Seems to be a matter of accessing the module and then setting the appropriate field... which might be how I'd pass coordinate data to a sensor or gps, or instructions to weapons.

Here's an excerpt from the kOS documentation page:

[h=2]PartModules and the right-click menu:[/h]Each Part, in turn has a list of what are called PartModules on it. A PartModule is a collection of variables and executable program hooks that gives the part some of its behaviors and properties. Without a PartModule, a part is really nothing more than a passive bit of structure that has nothing more than a shape, a look, and a strength to it. Some of the parts in the “structure†tab of the parts bin, like pure I-beams and girders, are like this - they have no PartModules on them. But all of the interesting parts you might want to do something with will have a PartModule on them. Through PartModules, **kOS will now allow you to manipulate or query anything that any KSP programmer, stock or mod, has added to the rightclick menu**, or action group actions, for a part.

This particular example is a little complex looking because they are doing something for all the chutes on the vessel, and some prior user defined variables had presumably been made.

http://ksp-kos.github.io/KOS_DOC/general/parts_and_partmodules.html?highlight=partsdubbed

// Change the altitude at which all the drouge chutes will deploy:

FOR somechute IN somevessel:PARTSNAMED("parachuteDrogue") {

somechute:GETMODULE("ModuleParachute"):SETFIELD("DEPLOYALTITUDE", 1500).

}.

I watched the video, tried to reproduce it and it worked. The difference was that I always used drone parts and never put any kerbals inside the defender unit.

That's odd, drone parts should work fine too. Maybe it was out of electricity?

Hey BahamutoD, please consider this small feature request: could you make an "auto mode" for the radar data receiver where if the "auto mode" is activated and the receiver is not connected to any radar, it will connect to the first available allied radar? (optional, preferring tracking radars)

This is needed for making systems of turrets using one radard in contracts configurator (since you have no way of specifying a radar to connect to in either contract or .craft AFAIK)

Also will be useful to create a more robust turrets defence system that can survive the death of a single radar.

It should be quite easy, i would do that myself but, ehm, i've not visual studio installed at the moment and i think that it will require more time to setup the development enviroment than actually doing the changes in the code.

Thx

Seems like a good idea. There's a few other things I need to handle with the datalink receiver, like what to do if two different units want to track different targets using the same tracking radar. Right now, whoever tries to lock a target last overrides the command of the radar. This could be an issue if the previous user was using to guide a missile. The reason I bring this up is, if there's a whole bunch of datalink receivers auto-linking to the same tracking radar, they'll just be fighting over it the whole time and interfering with each other.

Thanks bahamuto, I appreciate it. I'll throw in this link and a bit of example code from there that may be relevant. In that example, I'm thinking the same could possibly be done with your parts. Seems to be a matter of accessing the module and then setting the appropriate field... which might be how I'd pass coordinate data to a sensor or gps, or instructions to weapons.

Here's an excerpt from the kOS documentation page:

[h=2]PartModules and the right-click menu:[/h]Each Part, in turn has a list of what are called PartModules on it. A PartModule is a collection of variables and executable program hooks that gives the part some of its behaviors and properties. Without a PartModule, a part is really nothing more than a passive bit of structure that has nothing more than a shape, a look, and a strength to it. Some of the parts in the “structure†tab of the parts bin, like pure I-beams and girders, are like this - they have no PartModules on them. But all of the interesting parts you might want to do something with will have a PartModule on them. Through PartModules, **kOS will now allow you to manipulate or query anything that any KSP programmer, stock or mod, has added to the rightclick menu**, or action group actions, for a part.

This particular example is a little complex looking because they are doing something for all the chutes on the vessel, and some prior user defined variables had presumably been made.

http://ksp-kos.github.io/KOS_DOC/general/parts_and_partmodules.html?highlight=partsdubbed

// Change the altitude at which all the drouge chutes will deploy:

FOR somechute IN somevessel:PARTSNAMED("parachuteDrogue") {

somechute:GETMODULE("ModuleParachute"):SETFIELD("DEPLOYALTITUDE", 1500).

}.

Ah, if that's the only access kOS has to partmodules, then it won't work at the moment. The way the GPS system works right now, is the designated target and the list of targets are objects that contain a Vector3d (lat,long,alt) and a string (name). This means it's not a KSPField. If only kOS had a way to fire a method with parameters or something, like GETMODULE("Foo"):FUNCTION("SetGPSTarget",name,lat,long,alt)

Edited by BahamutoD

Hey just a couple of things.

One thing you should consider doing is adding a tab button to the AI that lets them choose to priorities Air to Air or Air to ground. That way one fighter can cover the ground strike.

Also the bombs tend to explode all at once if they are near each other when the first bomb hits. For example If i have the ripple set to 650 when one bomb hits any other bombs near it will also explode, making carpet bombings useless.

One other idea (this is a stretch) but you could consider letting the AI have control of the bomb bays for things such as bombers and stealth fighters.

Anyway keep up the good work. Cant wait to try out the squad mode in the future updates

There's a few other things I need to handle with the datalink receiver, like what to do if two different units want to track different targets using the same tracking radar. Right now, whoever tries to lock a target last overrides the command of the radar. This could be an issue if the previous user was using to guide a missile. The reason I bring this up is, if there's a whole bunch of datalink receivers auto-linking to the same tracking radar, they'll just be fighting over it the whole time and interfering with each other.

That's because you're doing it backwards. The TTR/FCR radar locks up multiple targets as a designator (this is called multi-targeting and radars can lock up from 1 to 37 targets, depending on the model). The datalinked launch system selects one of the locked up targets to fire at - the system does not tell the radar which target to lock. So all you have to do is set it so a unit with a datalink gets a choice of targets to launch at, but doesn't actually get to tell the radar set which target to lock. UI-wise, the player would select the radar and click on which targets they want the radar to lock up, and then switch to the launching unit to choose between targets. You could probably have a tally for the targeting radar which indicates how many lock-ons are left; this would allow players to have multiple radars locking up multiple targets, and datalinked units would switch between radar sets for their target selection. This would allow for homeland-style radar chains and scenarios where a player has to punch through the chain to get at a target within.

OMG that Mod is AWESOME. I love it and all its additions! Maybe I'll make my own... So remember the old "Gondola" cannon from Retro future? The parts are outdated and I would like to see a tutorial... Maybe I can recover the model =)

and a tutorial for making missiles would be awesome too... XD

Edited by Quabbo