[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

I found some great inspiration on the beautiful horrible things people build to hurt each other :)

Those top-attack rocket launchers (around 2 minutes in) look extremely Kerbal-tastic -- use a quick charge to push the rocket out of the tube, and then ignite the main engine 20 ft off the ground? Jeb would be proud (he'd probably want to ride one).

Im working on adapting this for MP useability.

Since MP has become viable currently, itd be super fun to be able to fight with this in that mode. Im working on tweaking the .dll so that things like instakill, inf ammo, ect are impossible to enable without actually editing the .dll, and heck, anyone COULD technically edit a .dll and use it to cheat in MP, but since MP is so new and unofficial mods only, i think thats a small issue atm. This is to make the playing field EVEN for all people.

I also plan to add some guns of my own (redone models that were intended for my final release of the old AKS gunpod pack i was working on assumign anyone even remembers that small mod from the old .21 days).

Ill make sure to credit you for the original work, as all im doing is recoding the mod and making it as balanced as possible and best for MP.

My mod will most likey rebalance things liek accuracy, rof, damage, overheat time, ect, to make MP combat actually fun and not 1 sided.

I really like your missiles as they are, since the countermeasures make them balanced.

Now to make some capital ship guns, perhaps i can utilize my 128mm FlaK AA cannon i made when i was bored, prolly in a dual configuration. That and the 280mm siege gun, again, in a dual turret.

Edited by panzer1b

Im working on adapting this for MP useability.

Since MP has become viable currently, itd be super fun to be able to fight with this in that mode. Im working on tweaking the .dll so that things like instakill, inf ammo, ect are impossible to enable without actually editing the .dll, and heck, anyone COULD technically edit a .dll and use it to cheat in MP, but since MP is so new and unofficial mods only, i think thats a small issue atm. This is to make the playing field EVEN for all people.

I also plan to add some guns of my own (redone models that were intended for my final release of the old AKS gunpod pack i was working on assumign anyone even remembers that small mod from the old .21 days).

Ill make sure to credit you for the original work, as all im doing is recoding the mod and making it as balanced as possible and best for MP.

My mod will most likey rebalance things liek accuracy, rof, damage, overheat time, ect, to make MP combat actually fun and not 1 sided.

I really like your missiles as they are, since the countermeasures make them balanced.

Now to make some capital ship guns, perhaps i can utilize my 128mm FlaK AA cannon i made when i was bored, prolly in a dual configuration. That and the 280mm siege gun, again, in a dual turret.

I never forgot! Great to have you back Panzer!

Yes, DMP is already good enough that BDArmory can already be made to work with it.

It is precise enough that you can make missions like this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79111-DarkMultiPlayer-0-1-6-2-KSP-0-25-Alpha?p=1535606&viewfull=1#post1535606

I will make a video using BDArmory weapons to show that missiles actually hit their targets inflight now, all we need is support for the flares and make the missiles hit the target not only for the client who fires.

The target can see the missiles already, but small errors make it miss, so it's inconsistent.

I think it would take a bit more than balance fixes to get this to work for multiplayer. None of the code is written to handle multiplayer, so there's no way that certain factors like the random chance of bullets causing damage, the chance of missiles acquiring flares, and other things calculated internally by the mod will be synchronized across the network. I notice that in >1.6.0 of DMP, there is "Initial support for other mods to interface with DMP and send data over the DMP network." so it would indeed be possible, but seeing as how I am still developing BDA, and major changes/additions may come in future updates, it might be premature to start a fork for multiplayer. I'm not stopping you, but keep in mind that if I make updates that you want to have in your multiplayer fork, you would have to implement them yourself.

My plan was to wait for official KSP multiplayer to drop, and then start the whole conversion process, instead of doing all the work to make it DMP compatible when I (or whoever) would have to do the work again to make it KSPM compatible.

Again, I won't stop you, but my suggestion is to wait it out a bit.

Edit:

teryds, I am interested in seeing how BDA behaves in DMP currently, so make sure to post it here :)

Edit2:

I did some more reading on the DMP page, and saw this relevant comment

I'd need to work with them to sort it out correctly - even though it's possible to send data over DMP now, I haven't written a public domain reflector, and I'll need to flesh it out a little more.

Pertaining to combat mods.

Edited by BahamutoD

Would like to know if Skillful integration will ever become a thing? Because, while Skillful DOES have pretty booms, you have pretty boom-makers.

Skillful is a completely different damage system and wile I was once a fan I have become more accustomed to and now prefer BD armory. Also just look at the rate of development BD armory has taken several months to get beyond where skillful got in almost a year and a half!

As of integration... No not really just too many differences to make it really possible

I think it would take a bit more than balance fixes to get this to work for multiplayer. None of the code is written to handle multiplayer, so there's no way that certain factors like the random chance of bullets causing damage, the chance of missiles acquiring flares, and other things calculated internally by the mod will be synchronized across the network. I notice that in >1.6.0 of DMP, there is "Initial support for other mods to interface with DMP and send data over the DMP network." so it would indeed be possible, but seeing as how I am still developing BDA, and major changes/additions may come in future updates, it might be premature to start a fork for multiplayer. I'm not stopping you, but keep in mind that if I make updates that you want to have in your multiplayer fork, you would have to implement them yourself.

My plan was to wait for official KSP multiplayer to drop, and then start the whole conversion process, instead of doing all the work to make it DMP compatible when I (or whoever) would have to do the work again to make it KSPM compatible.

Again, I won't stop you, but my suggestion is to wait it out a bit.

Edit:

teryds, I am interested in seeing how BDA behaves in DMP currently, so make sure to post it here :)

Edit2:

I did some more reading on the DMP page, and saw this relevant comment

Pertaining to combat mods.

Most of the fixes im making are minor, so it WOULDNT be difficult for me to update the mod every once in a while. Really all im doing is changing directories ect, part names, and removing many options from the alt-b menu (so noone can enable teh cheaty stuff). This is NOT ALOT OF WORK, so i by no means making a mod from the ground up. Part/directory changes are done so that someone cant just use the normal BDA mod and rename the .dll, to prevent people from cheating (although that atm should be minor since there are few mp players anyways as of now).

As for parts im releasing (once i make models workable), those will be released in my mod, and in a version compatible with this one, so anyone whether MP or SP can use em. Im also gonna need to extensively test the parts and all to make sure they are as balanced as i can get them to be, and probvably the biggest change here is removal of ability to use aim assist (this is for autoaim balance since autoaim is OP with target leading especially in space as one can just enable target autoaim and wipe out anyone who gets near with 0 effort). The other change im planning is a generic lowered damage across teh board. While not all may agree with me, i feel the current amount of damage is way to high for a fun MP battle. Thing just die way to quickly, and a smaller plane is pretty much a 1 shot instant cripple with the 20mm or 30mm. I have plenty of options here, but i feel making the 30mm do a hair more damage then the 12.7mm would make battles more interesting in general. This is especially true for space combat, as those at least how i envision it would involve ships slugging it out, with individual shells doing minor is any damage. Only explosive weapons are going to stay as is, so that there is an actual reason to use any gun aside form the 30mm turret (which has no drawbacks aside from mass and size, although teh 2nd one is only limiting small things, doesnt matter on larger craft at all).

As for the sync issue, i will have to test that out myself, hopefully at least the cannons will sync properly. Even client side damage calcs would work fine, as long as my client tells the server that x part was destroyed. Ideally all players would sync everything, but i would be happy to live with client side hit detection FOR NOW.

Also, i plan to make the tracers red/blue, based on team selection. i may make them tweakeable per gun, but i feel red/blue would make the tracers much neater both visually and as a nice visual IFF indicator. If i manage to implement this, and you would be interested, feel free to ask me for the code, ill give it to you.

Skillful is a completely different damage system and wile I was once a fan I have become more accustomed to and now prefer BD armory. Also just look at the rate of development BD armory has taken several months to get beyond where skillful got in almost a year and a half!

As of integration... No not really just too many differences to make it really possible

As for skillful weaponry, i gave that a try, and i really disliked the whole HP system, its harder to use in MP (as everyone would need to sync the HP of every part non stop), and it is just not something i liked that much in most games ive played (say rtss, i prefer say tank combat with modules vs pure HP, ect u get the idea). Its effects and ease of use were also downsides, whereas the BDA mod is just perfect combination of simplicity, without taking away from neat stuff like missiles/jamming.

Edited by panzer1b

"if anything from skillful is worth integrating its armor not necessarily the HP system but the parts"

~LORDPrometheus

I agree, except for the people with worse computers skillful lags a lot so I think he could maybe have it be optional (a separate package or maybe config [i think it'd be a config, whatever] that you put into the BDA folder).

Baha, maybe you would be able to make a new variable that would be used just like modern BDA parts do for damage on impact tolerance. It could be called damage defense or something and there could be armor that had normal crash tolerance, but high damage defense.

Baha, maybe you would be able to make a new variable that would be used just like modern BDA parts do for damage on impact tolerance. It could be called damage defense or something and there could be armor that had normal crash tolerance, but high damage defense.

That just might work honestly. Create a couple of "reskinned" (double thick 1x1 white or green or whatever color Baha or whoever makes the mod as I know someone was working on one about 100 pages back or so wants) structural panels in a few different shapes with said slider that goes up insanely high certain parts but mostly stay's around the max of say the Abrams would do.

A module manager config could probably apply an armor value to each part. It'd be a simple threshold not a degrading hp value. Basically if you have a fuel tank it's punctured by anything if you have a normal structural panel it can block 50 cal (since it's basically a two or three inch thick steel plate which won't actually block a .50BMG but its a game so why not) and dedicated armor pieces have higher capabilities but weight becomes prohibitively high when you can resist things like tank rounds or missiles.

rail guns

ra... ra... rai.... RAILGUNS!!!!! ERMAGERSH!!!! I will totally test anything and everything if it means we get railguns sooner xD speaking of which, going to test the phys rang issue RIGHT NOW!!! Great job @BahamutoD

Can the HEVK missiles de-orbit by themselves?, like a small orbital strike

They are bound by the physics range and have very low mass. Also as their name implies they are. Kinetic Kill Vehicles meaning they use Impact to destroy their target not a warhead. They would burn up before they reached the lower atmosphere due to their low size and construction. It'd be interesting if someone modeled a "rod from god" and gave it a warhead to simulate its impact from orbit.

Back to the point... No it cannot

Hey Baha if I wanted to tweaks he damage caused by your weapons is that straight config edits or does this need DLL changes?

You can do all damage tweaking via config edits. Bullet damage depends on muzzle velocity and bullet mass in the weapons' part config. You can also change the overall damage factor of all guns by changing the 'damage multiplier' value in settings.cfg.

Cannons, missiles, and bombs have blast power and blast radius values in their configs.

For some reason the weapon manager fires missiles when the system was supposed to be disarmed..

http://i.cubeupload.com/cALUiQ.png

If you mean the "System is disarmed" bit, that refers to a system that's independent of guard mode. The "arming" system will set vessels as your active target if they are in a certain view cone in front of the weapon manager (basically for quickly acquiring targets by pointing your vessel at things), and allows you to fire missiles, bombs, rockets by holding the main fire key(left-mouse by default), instead of action groups.

If you mean that the guard switched to the AIM-9 when you set it to None, that is part of the guard mode's feature of switching to a proper weapon when it finds a target. It will also switch if it has selected a turret that is out of ammo, gun that isn't a turret, a bomb, or a rocket pod.

If you don't want it to attack, turn guard mode off.

On the same subject, I did some work today that will allow a guard to use missiles if a target is far away, then switch to guns when the target comes closer. Here's a demonstration:

Edited by BahamutoD