Symptom of Kerbal Addiction

Merv DeGriff

Today I set my status on GMail to: r(v)=(a(1-e^2))/(1 + e COS(v))

So my wife immediately responds with "Are you playing Kerbal at work?" on Gmail chat.

I don't know if I should be amused that she thinks I play Kerbal at work... (Only on lunch break!) Or stunned that she recognized the formula that fast. In other news, I appear to need a second copy of KSP now...

Any other married Kerbal addicts out there?

Last night in the pub, when asked what I'd done over the weekend, I pulled out a notepad and wrote:

"dV=(IspG)ln(M1/M0).

That I learnt this from playing KSP is cool.

That I've memorised in from playing KSP is not a good sign.

Help, I need beer!"

Thankfully, I'm not married any more so I can get away with KSP and beer.

Hi Tanner.

BTW, shouldn't it be a "Kerbaholic" or "Kerbaloholic" instead? Seems like it will be easier to pronounce...

I am married myself, but my wife is not addicted to scientific or pseudo-scientific games (I am speaking of SpaceChem, for instance).

She keeps calling kerbals "cucumberoids", and does not mind any of my in-game successes. However, she thinks that it is good that I am spending time on KSP, and not on DotA for example. Her point is that KSP is at least bringing some experience.

I would not say I am too much addicted (which is called "posessed" I suppose), but that's probably due to lack of time. I have a lot of other activities, which prevent me from playing as much as I want... long enough too much.

My wife comments on me playing with "those little green things".

I've played KSP so much that I had to request Ground Control to tell my wife I love her very much.

I'm not allowed to ignore her on the grounds that she's not going through CAPCOM any more.

Hi, my name is Chris and I'm a Kerbaholic.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

The courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference.

Thanks.

P.S. My girlfriend calls this the 'space game', and I love her for it.

I week ago I went into work and was looking at some sales graphs a maanger had and I mentioned they looked like a beizer curve which started a 5 minute lecture from me on the how, why ect ect which lead to my new nickname the math teacher......

Yea I think I may need help ( still in denial )

Hi, my name is [redacted] and I am most definitely a Kerbaholic. I can occasionally get my wife to Kerbal (which is officially a verb now) or sit thru a particularly amusing video (as long as no Kerbals were harmed in the making of this video). And she just now asked me if I'm Kerballing and referred to the wedding she attended today as "very Kerbal" (it actually was, minus the explosions. Well at least the chemical kind). She also coined the phrase "oops I Kerballed" when we found a random rocket garden in Utah.

I find it helps the addiction to occasionally put the Kerbals away (or just leave them floating in space) and go out back & shoot and/or weld something to regain some redneck cred. But I'm afraid one day that might lead to an actual rocket. Since it involves propellant & fire.

God help me if Squad ever makes an iThingâ„¢ version of KSP.

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

<dd style="line-height: 22.399999618530273px; margin-left: 1.6em; margin-bottom: 0.1em; margin-right: 0px; color: rgb(37, 37, 37); font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">O God, give us the serenity to accept what cannot be changed, (.24 release date)

</dd><dd style="line-height: 22.399999618530273px; margin-left: 1.6em; margin-bottom: 0.1em; margin-right: 0px; color: rgb(37, 37, 37); font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">The courage to change what can be changed, (Mods)</dd><dd style="line-height: 22.399999618530273px; margin-left: 1.6em; margin-bottom: 0.1em; margin-right: 0px; color: rgb(37, 37, 37); font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">and the wisdom to know the one from the other

</dd>

<dd style="line-height: 22.399999618530273px; margin-left: 1.6em; margin-bottom: 0.1em; margin-right: 0px; color: rgb(37, 37, 37); font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">O God, give us the serenity to accept what cannot be changed, (.24 release date)

</dd><dd style="line-height: 22.399999618530273px; margin-left: 1.6em; margin-bottom: 0.1em; margin-right: 0px; color: rgb(37, 37, 37); font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">The courage to change what can be changed, (Mods)</dd><dd style="line-height: 22.399999618530273px; margin-left: 1.6em; margin-bottom: 0.1em; margin-right: 0px; color: rgb(37, 37, 37); font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">and the wisdom to know the one from the other

</dd>

Smirk.

As for me, I played KSP so much, even my username turned green.

Yeah, quitting KSP is not difficult. I do quit it about ten times a day... everytime I go for a smoke. Then again, quitting smoking is no problem either. I do that just as much... about ten times a day, everytime I return to my PC to play KSP again. :)

Hi, my name is Red and I'm a Kerbaholic. It's been 12 hours since my last session.

My wife is a terrible enabler, she never pesters me to stop "playing rockets" as it gives her unilateral control over the TV. I amuse myself by blowing things up while she watches $CurrentlyAiringRealityShow. So we're both happy.

Hi, I'm Aka, and I'm a Kerbaholic.

I quit the game not late at night cause I have a job that requires to wake up early in the morning, and find myself trying to catch sleep with lots of toughts about my ongoing missions, requirements of Delta-V, what will be my nexts missions, and the sctructure of my current vessels, and plans for the next ones...

When the alarm clock buzz, I check the forums...

I don't want to identify myself yet but I was given my first taste of KSP for free (demo).

Soon I was back with my cash and now I will do just about anything to get 10 minutes with KSP.

Then I tried KSP laced with an incredible kicker (BTSM) and now I am a w.h.o.r.e.

Kids, stay in school.

Edited by Lanzfeld

If we're being technical, a Kerbaholic would be addicted to Kerbahol..

Here's a funny thing though - I'm not addicted to KSP. When I'm not playing it, I think about what I could be doing in it and have loads of cool ideas but when I boot it up, I just think 'ehh.. this isn't working.." or " this is taking too long" or whatever. I rarely actually play it, and when I do, its usually only for bug testing or mod beta tests etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.