[WIP] NASA SLS - Released: Orion MPCV Core Module 1.0 [4/18/2015]

Presenting: (Updated 4/18/2015)

h1EQmYK.png?1

The core module of the Orion MPCV system.

Orion Black Final by noonespecial on Sketchfab

Downloads for the Orion (DDSLoader required for DDS versions, not included)

1k Resolution Textures (Normal / DDS)

2k Resolution Textures (Normal / DDS)

HD 4k Resolution Textures (DDS)

uvNjDum.gif

88x31.png

Credits

Greys - For initial hand holding that got my started on the correct path.

Starwaster - For his Reflection Plugin Continued.

XDvaE87.gif

mnWKYnb.gif

The MPCV may already exist in game in the form of simghai's SDHI, I haven't checked yet to see if the scale matches the SLS. If it does match, then one less part(s) to make. Otherwise SDHI doesn't match, I will make a matching version.

cBN3egw.gif

One of the more remarkable aspects of this long distance deployable space station is "...provides deep space vehicle assembly...". Sounds like there is an existing mod to compliment that no? Also, did you notice the central component?

G6SPRgy.gif

This part screams "SCIENCE!". Although, coding is my weakness and I'm not confident in my skills to be able to code a new science device. But I'm willing to give it a try. Can't be that hard, can it?

hkVwqix.gif

Not to much to say about these. I recall seeing pretty much these exact same components in other mods. I don't recall which off the top of my head though... I'll find them later.

AjaX01V.gif

Mars? They mean... Duna... right?

Xhu5APt.gif

While there is already ARM in stock KSP (since 23.5), the components in this Boeing concept art look uniquely different...

8hM7O6c.gif

Not to much details about this one. I'll do some research to see if I can find more information about this Europa probe.

pLGJHFI.gif

Another probe, but smaller than the Europa Clipper. But then again, it is just an orbiter. (Please, no tissue paper jokes)

L4cvvLr.gif

Another part that screams "SCIENCE". But, just looking at that thing makes my want to break out blender and start modeling.

4SAiuNN.gif

200 AU... another science related probe I'm thinking. Are those..... strange solar panels or almost stock RTGs on that thing?

ooIxil5.gif

Another probe... another opportunity for SCIENCE.

R9eyRR4.gif

ARM and ADM? Hmmmm.

GEFbeNG.gif

This looks like a type of inflatable habitat? Didn't I see one of those already available? ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over the next few weeks, I will be digging up more information and dissecting the components of this system to more fully plan out it's possible future implementation.

Edited by noonespecial

Stevincent already made most of the SLS, but stalled right before release.

Hmmm. I searched the forum for SLS before posting, but didn't find it. I found it now with that name. I was surprised that no one had tried to make it. But, it was started almost a year ago (July 13th 2013) with no release. Yeah, I'd call that stalled. Oh well. Unless he pops up, I'll continue with the planning stage. Thanks for letting me know :)

Well he was on yesterday, so it's not quite as dead as it could be.

Yes, I see that he logged on yesterday. But no comment or update to the thread 3 months. I'll send him a PM to see if he's still doing it or if I can run with it. :)

Agreed. You should do this first. Sorry for thread jack.

Not at all man. Wasn't really thread jacking. I didn't see the other development thread and I'm glad you brought it to my attention. Last thing I want to do is steal someone else's project! :)

I think I am gonna have to agree with a lot of the people on here. Working from the top down on this one would probably be ideal. Payloads and fairings, upper stage engines, and then work on the rocket. Just and idea.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent a PM to the author of the previous mod about 10 days ago. He hasn't logged in since so obviously I haven't gotten a reply. So I'll be starting on this project this coming weekend as soon as I finish my THST mod. I'll be starting with the Orion MPCV and just do a part.cfg rescale of the existing NASA fuel tanks and engines. After that, I will finish the other SLS payloads. I'll save doing the real SLS tanks and engines for the last, as simply rescaling the existing tanks and engines should be suffient in the short term.

Here are some more reference pictures (mostly for my own reference)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

So will you be modeling the ATV-derived Service Module, or the original one with circular panels? (Both would be very much appreciated, I haven't decided which is best)

Other than that, really excited to see this develop!

Why? It's using only already-released parts anyway.

Pretty funny that the screenshot has the engines in full emissive, though.

I didn't mean I was expecting a pending release. I was looking at this and thinking... "RSS version? Will it fit in the VAB?".

I'm jealous that you found all those pictures. I never saw those anywhere.

Haha same here, those are some nice concepts!

This mod could turn out to be awesome! Will be following the development.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.