[WIP] NASA SLS - Released: Orion MPCV Core Module 1.0 [4/18/2015]

I love replicas myself, but I haven't gotten into RSS yet. All the same, I really prefer .64 scaled models, like Bobcat's have been since he started his historical packs. I think this project lends itself to modeling it 1:1, then releasing an unscaled version for RSS and a version with all parts scaled .64 for a non-RSS game. I really don't want another pack at the standard dimensions (1.25, 2.5, 3.75 etc), unless by chance the real model scales down to be like that, because loads of those exist already, there are stockalike SLS-like mods. Just my two cents, and as I understand it, I think thats what the OP plans to do anyway.

I have decided on dimensions. I'm doing it to real-life scale (the pod is 5m, I'm doing it as 5m in Blender). When I export from Unity, I will scale it down to 5m in KSP.

They appear to be Auxiliary Thrusters. Unfortunately, there are several versions of the proposed design. There seem to be two major versions, one with the Auxiliary Thrusters on the underside, and one with the thrusters on fins.

http://imgur.com/a/9oZys

The first two were the original designs, and were going to be built alongside Ares 1-X and Ares V. You can see the difference because of the distinctive circular solar panels. The new design uses standard rectangular solar panels.

You are 100% correct. :blush:

Although, if you are looking for stock scaled SLS, I would recommend one of the following:

ChakaMonkey by YANFRET

Sum Dum Heavy Industries - Service Module System by Sumghai

Both much more mature than my offerings and both are more skilled than me. Definitely worth a look.

I know, my mods are a little bit affiliated with the latter and I am affiliated with Yanfret. Hehe. (I use it too)

Because Aerojet Kerbodyne itself is a part of SLS

Jokes aside, I don't agree with that at all, and I don't see how you could possibly justify that without playing around with word definitions. It's not true even on the face of it. Modelling is equally easy as long as you stay consistent with your dimensions and clearly not doing maths is easier than doing maths. Then there's issues with scaling bugs. Clearly it's best to model 1:1 with KSP. The scaling thing in part configs is the result of bad foresight on SQUAD's part anyway, isn't it. They simply scaled things as a hack, instead of remodelling everything to the correct scale. Sure it's useful, but I think people rely on it too much when they really don't need to.

Anyway, didn't you say something about modularity and compatibility in another thread? If they make it with real proportions it will be impossible to scale it consistently. Say they wanted to make the adapter with real dimensions. if they scale the bottom of it to a standard width, the top will not be standard any more. Then the pod will have to be non-standard and wont fit anyway else.

I myself copy a blueprint but the blueprint is scaled down to the KSP measurements ahahaha

Differing opinions on scaling options aside...

The more recent Service Module. Texture still needs some (by some, I mean A LOT) of tweaking.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The models for the Orion MPCV, Service Module, Adapter, and Aeroshell are complete. The textures for the MPCV and Service modules are about half done. The textures for the Adapter and Aeroshell are done. Still trying to figure out how to do workable normals (all my attempts so far look like [explative]). Next up, the Upper propulsion stage.

Edited by noonespecial

The service module looks good, especially the engine. I'm just wondering if the lower half is a bit shorter than the concept images on the first page of the post. It seemed like the bottom cylinder should be a bit longer.

The service module looks good, especially the engine. I'm just wondering if the lower half is a bit shorter than the concept images on the first page of the post. It seemed like the bottom cylinder should be a bit longer.

Depends on the version, but I think I agree with you and did make it a bit longer.

Update 7/31/14

MPCV + Service Module + Adapter + iCPS

Up next: The larger upper stage LUS

On a side note: I noticed that Module Manager has a function to search for existing mods and one of the provided examples is detecting RSS and scaling the models down to 0.64 if RSS is not found.

Does anyone have an experience with this? If I'm understanding this correctly, I won't even have to release two version. Just a single version with module manager that will detect if RSS is present and do the scaling appropriately. Is that correct?

If I'm understanding this correctly, I won't even have to release two version. Just a single version with module manager that will detect if RSS is present and do the scaling appropriately. Is that correct?

Yes. I assume you've given up on making this compatible with every other part on this planet. Is that correct?

Yes. I assume you've given up on making this compatible with every other part on this planet. Is that correct?

Hey Cpt.

I'm not entirely sure where you got the impression that I was planning on making this compatible with every other part. The closest thing I've said that hints at compatibility with other parts was in the initial post, stating that some of the SLS parts already appear in the game in the form of other mods. My intention was to not recreate those mods IF they were to proper scale. Specially in this statement:

The MPCV may already exist in game in the form of sumghai's SDHI, I haven't checked yet to see if the scale matches the SLS. If it does match, then one less part(s) to make. Otherwise if SDHI doesn't match, I will make a matching version.

As far as general compatibility, it will have that. The command pod/service module are circular 5 meter parts. Stock adapters (with tweakscale) and KW adapters can adapt any of the larger components of this system to anything in stock. Beyond that, as part of the LUS module, there is a 5m to 8.4m adapter, which if used in combination with aforementioned adapter could even adapt the absurdly large fuel tanks for use with any other mod/stock parts.

Edited by noonespecial
bloody typos

Update 8/1/14

Finished the models for the LUS tank. Also started on the LUS engine clusters. Many details to add to the engine cluster, but there is the tank and the cluster rendered and in KSP.

<snip>

First of all, good stuff! The scale isn't to my taste but the parts look real good. Second, it just so happens that I am also making a Large Upper Stage and I couldn't help but notice that the tanks and intertank structure for your Large Upper Stage models are way off the mark - if realism is the mark, I haven't read the whole thread - so I thought I'd help you out by offering you some reference material. Best of luck with your mod!

First of all, good stuff! The scale isn't to my taste but the parts look real good. Second, it just so happens that I am also making a Large Upper Stage and I couldn't help but notice that the tanks and intertank structure for your Large Upper Stage models are way off the mark - if realism is the mark, I haven't read the whole thread - so I thought I'd help you out by offering you some reference material. Best of luck with your mod!

Holy crap, you're absolutely correct.

I have the same pictures. Used them when I was building the pieces, but neglected to look at the pictures when I was putting the pieces together. Wrongly assuming my memory was adequate to the task. I've look at the photo a dozen times since, but payed more attention to the top tank and engines. Somehow I became utterly blind to the details in the middle. Thanks for pointing it out!

This was also before I learned you can put a reference photo into Blender.

Here is how far off my model is. Again, thanks for pointing it out.

gV26HPa.png?1

Edited by noonespecial

Holy crap, you're absolutely correct.

I have the same pictures. Used them when I was building the pieces, but neglected to look at the pictures when I was putting the pieces together. Wrongly assuming my memory was adequate to the task. I've look at the photo a dozen times since, but payed more attention to the top tank and engines. Somehow I became utterly blind to the details in the middle. Thanks for pointing it out!

This was also before I learned you can put a reference photo into Blender.

Here is how far off my model is. Again, thanks for pointing it out.

*snip*

Haha at least you found out before you made TOO much progress :D looking good though overall and am very impressed

Looks great!

It would be nice to keep both of the designs, the 1xJ-2X and the 4xRL-10 Large Upper Stage. (As far as I know, they're still keeping open the option of using the J-2X in the future.) Or maybe just separate the fuel tank and engine into two different parts.

Update 8/4/2014

The tank portion of the Large Upper Stage is complete. I'm doing it in two pieces so can I make the two lower assemblies, a single engine version and a 4x engine version. First three images are cycle renders from Blender, the following four are from KSP. The last two pictures are shown with the Mk1-2 and the ChakaMonkey Orion for size comparison. (I'm in no way affiliated with ChakaMonkey or am I going to redistribute or use YANFRET's models. Just using it in this picture for size comparison.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.