[WIP] NASA SLS - Released: Orion MPCV Core Module 1.0 [4/18/2015]

So I noticed something today that kind of made me lose interest in this project a bit.

My primary motivation for doing this was I saw the SLS and noticed a lack of anything like it in game. So I was excited to do it. There were a few stockish projects. So I said to myself, I'll do this at full 8.4m scale to make it unique.

Then today, I noticed in the ChakaMonkey Beta 0.12 release, there are 8.4m parts. I have only recently started follow YANFRET's endeavors, so I don't know if it's a new addition or was originally planned and I missed it. Regardless, everyone contributing to ChakaMonkey are much better modelers, texture artists, etc., than I am and now that they are (or have been?) doing 8.4m scaled parts, I see little point in continuing what I've been doing here.

As such, I putting the MPCV/LUS/etc on the back burner and shifting the goals of this project. I will release them eventually, but I see little point in concentrating solely on them as there are higher quality versions of exactly the thing already available. However, I will eventually finish them and release them because I said I would and I'm not the sort of person to leave something half finished.

Instead, I'll be concentrating on the other components planned for the SLS.

Such as:

The Lunar Radio Telescope

Mars (Duna) Surface Mission

The Advanced Technology Large-Aperture Space Telescope (ATLAST)

and

The Solar Probe 2

To reiterate: I'm not abandoning this project, just shifting priorities. The Upper Stage and Orion will eventually be completed (although I really don't see a point, I just can't leave something unfinished). I will just be putting priority on the other parts.

That being said... I think I'll go start modeling the ATLAST. Looking at that thing makes my mouth water :D

Interesting design with those side tanks. It looks a bit thin to be able to fit three people. Looking forward to how the SLS payloads will turn out!

It's just the ascent module for the ALTAIR lander. It's only a small portion of the intended lander and used primarily just to ferry people from the surface to the Orion in orbit.

Here is the (maybe) finished untextured model

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I wouldn't give up...chaka monkey is a group effort of over a dozen individual modders. I use chaka monkey myself and it is wonderful. An independent development of a kerbal sls is an amazing endeavor, my suggestion is to attempt to add a kerbal flavor to your designs to differentiate yourself.

I wouldn't give up...chaka monkey is a group effort of over a dozen individual modders. I use chaka monkey myself and it is wonderful. An independent development of a kerbal sls is an amazing endeavor, my suggestion is to attempt to add a kerbal flavor to your designs to differentiate yourself.

We have decided to join forces to enhance the overall product. That way noonespecial can release systems that one day will add up to his original project goals while enhancing Chaka Monkey along the way. The revised Altair pod at the bottom of the previous page is the first result of our cooperation, that is... my suggestion, his execution. And what a magnificent model it is already!!!

It's just the ascent module for the ALTAIR lander. It's only a small portion of the intended lander and used primarily just to ferry people from the surface to the Orion in orbit.

Here is the (maybe) finished untextured model

http://imgur.com/a/NLdIQ

Edited by YANFRET

We have decided to join forces to enhance the overall product. That way noonespecial can release systems that one day will add up to his original project goals while enhancing Chaka Monkey along the way. The revised Altair pod at the bottom of the previous page is the first result of our cooperation, that is... my suggestion, his execution. And what a magnificent model it is already!!!

ok i need to retrieve my jaw from Saudia Arabia now (its called geographical accuracy... god)

also this is destined for greatness now

As I said, I'm not giving up or abandoning the project. It is simply I'm putting the Orion and Launch system on the back burner and shifting priorities to the payload systems that aren't already done in other mods.

That being said: Eye candy, the ALTAIR Ascent Pod

As I said, I'm not giving up or abandoning the project. It is simply I'm putting the Orion and Launch system on the back burner and shifting priorities to the payload systems that aren't already done in other mods.

That being said: Eye candy, the ALTAIR Ascent Pod

http://imgur.com/a/NLdIQ

http://imgur.com/a/XyVgA

http://imgur.com/a/DwOJ2

It's so beautiful!

dawson-crying-o.gif

Exactly. This way we can all move forward together without getting bogged down with continuously perfecting the launch vehicle. And when there is a fleet of nice payloads inspired by the Boeing PDF, we can get back to re making Orion and SLS.

I had the same reaction. Don't you just wanna fly it around the solar system with a bag of snacks?

By the way if you like that, he's getting ready to cook us a nice cake to go with it... stay tuned.

Edited by YANFRET

Isn't it ironic that you are producing SLS accurately as it is planned alone and Yanfret is producing a mix of multiple packs of the community to make an SLS which fits KSP sizes (iirc)?

It's funny because realistic SLS is actually a joint project from a lot of companies for NASA too. XDDD

Is there a reason why those thrusters are so polyfull?

Because at the rendering of this model, I had yet to do the detail work on those particular pieces, so instead just hit it with a subsurface for the sake of the rendering. The small thrusters are actually hexagons and the large thrusters are decagons with the base being an octagon.

Not that high poly counts matter all that much these days (alas, unless you're ferram and are basically the only person KSP is GPU, not CPU-limited for...)

Sorry to be off-topic, but what CPU does ferram4 have in his rig? Nice mod by the way, noonespecial, I like the SLS -- even though they said it will launch no later than November 2018 (rather than December 2017).

Edited by Woopert

There's a concept for a Mars lander in this PDF from NASA, it's about Boeing's plans for lunar and Martian landers. It's from 2011, I believe, so maybe it's not current. They do show it with the SLS, though it's the older SLS design with five engines (new one has four engines) and the old Orion MPCV design is shown as well.. Hope this helps! :)

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/604643main_2-Panel%202_Donahue_Final.pdf

Sadder question: what GPU. :(

I'm confused, Nathan --- for ferram4, does he have a very good CPU and a bad GPU, or a very good CPU and his GPU is very good, but being limited by KSP? Or maybe something else? :P

Edited by Woopert

Where did you find this reference material? The stuff that I have seen had a radically different design.
There's a concept for a Mars lander in this PDF from NASA, it's about Boeing's plans for lunar and Martian landers. It's from 2011, I believe, so maybe it's not current. They do show it with the SLS, though it's the older SLS design with five engines (new one has four engines) and the old Orion MPCV design is shown as well.. Hope this helps! :)

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/604643main_2-Panel%202_Donahue_Final.pdf

I'm confused, Nathan --- for ferram4, does he have a very good CPU and a bad GPU, or a very good CPU and his GPU is very good, but being limited by KSP? Or maybe something else? :P

I'm using the pictures from the Boeing SLS booklet, which was released in January 2014. Sometimes, I use information from the EAS if it is more recent (such as with the service module).

http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/defense-space/space/sls/docs/sls_mission_booklet_jan_2014.pdf

I'm using the pictures from the Boeing SLS booklet, which was released in January 2014. Sometimes, I use information from the EAS if it is more recent (such as with the service module).

http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/defense-space/space/sls/docs/sls_mission_booklet_jan_2014.pdf

This is a pretty good source, very recent with lots of pictures:

http://spirit.as.utexas.edu/~fiso/telecon/Raftery_5-14-14/Raftery_5-14-14.pdf

The lander there looks similar to the one in the booklet.

This is a pretty good source, very recent with lots of pictures:

http://spirit.as.utexas.edu/~fiso/telecon/Raftery_5-14-14/Raftery_5-14-14.pdf

The lander there looks similar to the one in the booklet.

Amazing source.

As a thank you, let me present a very work in progress from it :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.