[WIP] NASA SLS - Released: Orion MPCV Core Module 1.0 [4/18/2015]

Not an Update

I'm really enjoying modeling, but I have to say... for some odd reason, I haven't played KSP since I started modeling. I only boot up KSP to test parts and fly it around a little bit before I go back into blender. Seems like a natural evolution though: First, played space ship games, then, play a space ship building game, finally, build parts for space ship building game. Though, I must admit, I miss playing KSP especially with exciting new mods like Karbonite. Meh, I haven't even left LKO since .24 was released.

I've had this, too. :) I don't model, but as a mod dev, I don't play much, either, usually flying missions for testing. Building the ISS was my main thing in KSP, but it turned out to have some issues, so I stopped for now.

Oh, that is NICE!! Though for some strange reason I get a strong Harkonnen vibe from it. Must be the carbon fibre. No matter, we can pretend Duna is Dune. :D

But do, please, refine the ascent nozzle. It's just stuck on, with no infrastructure to make it look like a working engine.

And don't get me wrong. My observation is a bit of a nitpick. I'll use the hell out of this once it goes live!

Edited by Jack Wolfe

Oh, that is NICE!! Though for some strange reason I get a strong Harkonnen vibe from it. Must be the carbon fibre. No matter, we can pretend Duna is Dune. :D

But do, please, refine the ascent nozzle. It's just stuck on, with no infrastructure to make it look like a working engine.

And don't get me wrong. My observation is a bit of a nitpick. I'll use the hell out of this once it goes live!

I would tend to agree about the engine. Unfortunately, the only schematic for this comes from the earlier posted PDF from Nasa which shows:

h1nGsCX.png

There are other artists renderings, but zero pictures showing the bottom. The wireframe shows the full engine, which appears to be primary inside the structure. Since the pod couples to an ascent module, I didn't want to recess the bottom. I'm open to suggestions about what to do about it through.

• 2 weeks later...
Looks great! Are you still working on this, or are you taking a break?

I'm still working on this. I'm collaborating with YANFRET to add the NASA SLS payloads to the ChakaMonkey. So far, we've completed the ALTAIR pod and currently working on a multipart Mars (Duna) lander system. I'm also working on a few other mods at the same time.

Those carbon fibers are awfully big.

Yup, they are. But that was just a quick and dirty render. The final texture looks more like this:

xnH5sKg.png?1

Not an Update

I'm really enjoying modeling, but I have to say... for some odd reason, I haven't played KSP since I started modeling. I only boot up KSP to test parts and fly it around a little bit before I go back into blender. Seems like a natural evolution though: First, played space ship games, then, play a space ship building game, finally, build parts for space ship building game. Though, I must admit, I miss playing KSP especially with exciting new mods like Karbonite. Meh, I haven't even left LKO since .24 was released.

i have the same thing too except it is caused by instability of 64-bit coupled with the outbreak of high quality mods (and binge-watching Heroes on Netflix) which has left me downloading mods more than actually playing the game although i haven't gone to the Mun in awhile i have gone to LKO, HKO, and MKO but i haven't built the 3 stations i promised myself i would. :(

I really like those launchers. A lot. Im looking to have a more uniform fleet and this might be what im looking for :)

Head over here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64993-24-2-Chaka-Monkey-EXPLORATION-BETA-0-12

The launchers for the SLS are pretty much done by this other guy. High quality collaboration between many very skilled modders here at KSP. It will be a while before I get to the launchers. I will finish all of the payload systems (custom ChakaMonkey versions and my own versions) before I even get to the launch systems themselves.

We're having a great time making new spacecraft. One thing that has always been on my mind is a replacement for the Bobcat Altair pod that has shipped with the Chaka Monkey pack from the beginning.

Here's the new version made by Noonespecial with Chaka development textures, docked with the old Bobcat version for comparison

RX7b6k.jpg

I think you'll agree this collaboration is producing high quality results!

I don't want to discourage you, but there's ChakaMonkey. Maybe you should join with Yanfret instead of developing yet another SLS all by yourself.

Also, as far as joining Yanfret and ChakaMonkey? Let's look at the names of people working on ChakaMonkey. Yanfret, Bobcat, Sumgai, etc and containing mods from KW, Nova, Fuztek, KOSMOS, ALCOR, etc. In other words, ChakaMonkey reads like the "Who's Who" and "Must have mods" for KSP. I've barely learned how to use blender and my textures need a great deal of work. I'm not of the caliber of modeler or modder that these guys are.

everyone contributing to ChakaMonkey are much better modelers, texture artists, etc., than I am
We have decided to join forces to enhance the overall product. That way noonespecial can release systems that one day will add up to his original project goals while enhancing Chaka Monkey along the way. The revised Altair pod at the bottom of the previous page is the first result of our cooperation, that is... my suggestion, his execution. And what a magnificent model it is already!!!

Called it! Welcome to the "Who's Who" club. :cool:

• 1 month later...
Are you still working on this project?

Definately, but most of it will be released under the ChakaMonkey mod. I will be making significant changes to each part (mostly mod dependencies and textures) to differentiate from ChakaMonkey. But things are progressing nicely. YANFRET provides great feedback and ideas to which is really helping me keep a high standard of quality and grow as a modeler. You can check the latest information there, but here is the most recent work:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64993-24-2-Chaka-Monkey-EXPLORATION-BETA-0-12?p=1510093&viewfull=1#post1510093

Definately, but most of it will be released under the ChakaMonkey mod. I will be making significant changes to each part (mostly mod dependencies and textures) to differentiate from ChakaMonkey. But things are progressing nicely. YANFRET provides great feedback and ideas to which is really helping me keep a high standard of quality and grow as a modeler. You can check the latest information there, but here is the most recent work:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64993-24-2-Chaka-Monkey-EXPLORATION-BETA-0-12?p=1510093&viewfull=1#post1510093

Oh thats great! So from what I understand is ChakaMonkey, like with Bobcats stuff is taking your real world stuff and Chakaizing them. But here is where you will release the real world or potentially real world stuff?

TBH, I'm not that fond of ChakaMonkey. It's neither very Kerbal nor a real replica. I'd rather have a real NASA SLS than some fantastic "Monkey" LV.

• 5 weeks later...
How big will the fairing be for custom payloads?

I'm not quite at the stage in development where I'm making fairings currently. If I choose to make static fairings, as opposed to procedural fairings, I will make them within the specifications of those used by the real SLS.

Update November 29 2014

Good news is, I've rebuilt my crashed computer and pretty much up and running again. I have completed two of the payloads to my satisfaction and will be starting on a few more soon.

The Mars lander and accompanying command pod are completed. I will be putting the finishing touches to the inflatable habitat portion of the Mars landing system (luckily, was able to recover most of it) soon. Then, I will be starting on the CISLUNAR, the ATLAST, and the Lunar Surface module. I hope to have them completed before Christmas.

Assorted Eyecandy

yA8Xtfk.png?1

3WJettw.png?1

DkjOrPP.png

kH62IoN.png

xAtyhxR.jpg?1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.