[WIP] NASA SLS - Released: Orion MPCV Core Module 1.0 [4/18/2015]

Update

Now that my computer is restored, I'm really feeling this mod again.

Here is the high poly (around 400k) of the Orion MPCV I'm working on (textureless ATM). It is what I'll be using to bake the normal maps from after I finish adding all the detail work.

RvVz9Ai.gif

The low poly model is much more manageable at around. I'm having to manually retopo this, but I'm estimating that the final poly count will be around 4 to 5k.

Enjoy

Looks odd around the windows. I don't know if it's the normal or the model, though. Also, shouldn't there be more RCS on the capsule? Apollo had a pretty comprehensive rotational controls on the pod, I'm sure Orion would have a similar system.

Looks odd around the windows. I don't know if it's the normal or the model, though. Also, shouldn't there be more RCS on the capsule? Apollo had a pretty comprehensive rotational controls on the pod, I'm sure Orion would have a similar system.

Keep in mind that is a WIP base texture and not the finished product. It is still very rough.

But, here is the progress on the texture, with three alternate textures I'm playing with.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Keep in mind that is a WIP base texture and not the finished product. It is still very rough.

But, here is the progress on the texture, with three alternate textures I'm playing with.

http://imgur.com/a/oBXSA

Number 3 is closest to the real thing, but should have a more "tiled" look with lots of small tiles, for maximum realism.

Number 3 is closest to the real thing, but should have a more "tiled" look with lots of small tiles, for maximum realism.

It's been confirmed officially that only the EFT-1 capsule will be black. With humans on board the white tiles are better for heat dissipation, but they are using the black tiles on the first flight because they resist heat more and they want the best chances of getting it back. Also by measuring the damage to the black tiles they can isolate areas where black might be needed.

It's been confirmed officially that only the EFT-1 capsule will be black. With humans on board the white tiles are better for heat dissipation, but they are using the black tiles on the first flight because they resist heat more and they want the best chances of getting it back. Also by measuring the damage to the black tiles they can isolate areas where black might be needed.

Hmmm, didn't know that. Thanks!

I don't think this black "dirt" is a good idea, though. All space modules I've seen were properly painted, and this looks like a sloppy paint job. NASA budget has not been cut that ​much. :)

I don't think this black "dirt" is a good idea, though. All space modules I've seen were properly painted, and this looks like a sloppy paint job. NASA budget has not been cut that ​much. :)

Originally, it was just a stroke of inspiration while I was making the texture. Then, an idea came up about making a plugin to have paint "wear" during re-entry and/or aging. So the white texture would be the usual normal texture and the dirt texture would be the worn one.... if, I can figure out how to make the plugin or if someone like Stupid_Chris makes it before me. Otherwise, it'll just be the normal white texture.

That looks amazing! 1.25m top port, 3.75m bottom?

Hehe. Maybe! More than likely, much bigger. You'll probably see it released at that size in another mod, but part of my SLS mod, it will be more like 5m base.

Originally, it was just a stroke of inspiration while I was making the texture. Then, an idea came up about making a plugin to have paint "wear" during re-entry and/or aging. So the white texture would be the usual normal texture and the dirt texture would be the worn one.... if, I can figure out how to make the plugin or if someone like Stupid_Chris makes it before me. Otherwise, it'll just be the normal white texture.

Hehe. Maybe! More than likely, much bigger. You'll probably see it released at that size in another mod, but part of my SLS mod, it will be more like 5m base.

Bobcats soyuz somehow changes texture during Reentry. The thermal blankets "burn off" and make it looks burnt and dirty. So maybe talk to Dragon01 and ask him how it works/if he could help you.

I may be misunderstanding, so I just want to clarify. You mean that the pod (Orion capsule) you're making will have a 5m base? If that's the case, how big is the core stage of your SLS?

Bobcats soyuz somehow changes texture during Reentry. The thermal blankets "burn off" and make it looks burnt and dirty. So maybe talk to Dragon01 and ask him how it works/if he could help you.

Wish I could. The plugin is Asmi's, who's gone. No source code is available (what I got from BobCat was not wrapped for release), and it stopped working during a recent update. If someone could get in touch with Asmi about that, it'd be great.

So you opted to go with 1:1 scale to the actual rocket. That's gonna be one monster lifter for KSP.

I prefer it this way. People can easily rescale that for .64, the other kinda-standard floating around here

So you opted to go with 1:1 scale to the actual rocket. That's gonna be one monster lifter for KSP.
I prefer it this way. People can easily rescale that for .64, the other kinda-standard floating around here

My reasoning is simple. There are already LOADS of mods with 3.75 and 5 rocket parts. So why make another? Plus, as Budgie mentioned, if someone HAS to have a .64 scale version, I will be including tweakscale to accommadate this. But, it will be the lower stages will be 8m, the upper stages 5m and so on.

But isnt the whole game .64 scale and not 1:1 wouldnt it be better to scale for .64 and offer a 1:1 the majority will use .64 the minority will use 1:1

Like I said, if someone wants .64 scale (aka 5m parts), then there are already loads of mods offering those. KW Rocketry, ChakaMonkey, NovaPunch, among others. I'm not a big fan of re-inventing the wheel.

There used to be people that said, "OMG! Why 3.75? The whole game is geared toward 1.25 and 2.5!". Then there was stock 3.75m parts. Then people said, "OMG! Why 5m? The whole game is....". Then there were 5m parts. And there are still people using ridiculous and unrealisitic rocket configurations to lift heavy loads. So why not have 8m parts?

Like I said, if someone wants .64 scale (aka 5m parts), then there are already loads of mods offering those. KW Rocketry, ChakaMonkey, NovaPunch, among others. I'm not a big fan of re-inventing the wheel.

There used to be people that said, "OMG! Why 3.75? The whole game is geared toward 1.25 and 2.5!". Then there was stock 3.75m parts. Then people said, "OMG! Why 5m? The whole game is....". Then there were 5m parts. And there are still people using ridiculous and unrealisitic rocket configurations to lift heavy loads. So why not have 8m parts?

Forgive me for being argumentative but your logic is slightly flawed. It's like saying FASA shouldn't exist because of KW and CSS shouldnt exist because KSOS and Tiberdyne, and raidernicks probes are useless because of AIES probes cores. There is a need for high fidelity realistic real world models. There are quite a few people like myself who like doing historical missions and install only the historical packs. Having a proper SLS however easy it is to rescale is only useful for RSS. Now a scaled down SLS with a 5m core stage that could be useful all around from career to sandbox. I fear that doing ONLY a 1:1 scale alienates a lot of users. I mean I don't wish to add work but having two versions regardless of how easy it is to rescale in game, would make it very appealing and easy to the average user. Just consider scaling everything down for the average user.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.