[WIP] NASA SLS - Released: Orion MPCV Core Module 1.0 [4/18/2015]

Forgive me for being argumentative but your logic is slightly flawed. It's like saying FASA shouldn't exist because of KW and CSS shouldnt exist because KSOS and Tiberdyne, and raidernicks probes are useless because of AIES probes cores. There is a need for high fidelity realistic real world models. There are quite a few people like myself who like doing historical missions and install only the historical packs. Having a proper SLS however easy it is to rescale is only useful for RSS. Now a scaled down SLS with a 5m core stage that could be useful all around from career to sandbox. I fear that doing ONLY a 1:1 scale alienates a lot of users. I mean I don't wish to add work but having two versions regardless of how easy it is to rescale in game, would make it very appealing and easy to the average user. Just consider scaling everything down for the average user.

No flaw in logic. I'm modeling at 1:1 because that is my choice and preference. I will include tweakscale (I stated this earlier) for those who wish .64.

As far as this scaling only being useful for RSS, that is quite frankly untrue. As far as the game engine is concerned, a cylinder with 14 faces and 44 triangles will always be 14 faces and 44 triangles regardless if there is some arbitrary configuration file saying it's 8m or 5m. ;)

There are two reasons I chose 75% for Chaka. 1) Orion real size x 75% = 3.75 meters which is great and 2) SLS block II with a full size fairing maxes out the KSP VAB at 75%. What other value it has I'm not sure. I have no idea if a properly proportioned Block I would fit in the KSP VAB at 1:1, but it would probably be very close. If the roof were higher, I might have made Chaka 1:1, but it isn't.

There are two reasons I chose 75% for Chaka. 1) Orion real size x 75% = 3.75 meters which is great and 2) SLS block II with a full size fairing maxes out the KSP VAB at 75%. What other value it has I'm not sure. I have no idea if a properly proportioned Block I would fit in the KSP VAB at 1:1, but it would probably be very close. If the roof were higher, I might have made Chaka 1:1, but it isn't.

I've never actually had a problem building oversized rockets. It's easy enough to shift-click to select the entire rocket and move it up and down while building, dragging it up past the editable area or the down into the floor as needed.

But also to clarify one very important distinction here. This mod is not meant to be exclusively a historical replica, it's also designed to be a general parts addon.

P.S. Is historical replica the correct term? because the SLS hasn't actually been made yet ;)

No flaw in logic. I'm modeling at 1:1 because that is my choice and preference. I will include tweakscale (I stated this earlier) for those who wish .64.

As far as this scaling only being useful for RSS, that is quite frankly untrue. As far as the game engine is concerned, a cylinder with 14 faces and 44 triangles will always be 14 faces and 44 triangles regardless if there is some arbitrary configuration file saying it's 8m or 5m. ;)

I said flaw not in your personal preferences but your logic behind it. I won't question it if it's what you want to make your model look look like. However you said there wouldn't be any use because of KW, Chaka, and NP. Again that's not true because of the need for high fidelity models. Now of its what you want then of course I stand corrected and won't try to change your mind. However if your reasons are because you dont think there is a use or similar models exist then that's simply not true.

I said flaw not in your personal preferences but your logic behind it. I won't question it if it's what you want to make your model look look like. However you said there wouldn't be any use because of KW, Chaka, and NP. Again that's not true because of the need for high fidelity models. Now of its what you want then of course I stand corrected and won't try to change your mind. However if your reasons are because you dont think there is a use or similar models exist then that's simply not true.

I think there is a big misunderstanding / miscommunication going on here. One of the reasons you think my logic is flawed is because of this. I'm not sure if I've phrased my intention incorrectly or if there have been certain assumptions made.

To correct the misunderstanding, I will flatly say again: I am providing 0.64 scaling AND 1:1 scaling. As in, both. The logic is not flawed, because you're applying it to the wrong side of the "and".

So to reiterate once again: I am providing both 0.64 scaling and 1.0 scaling.

Soo, we cool? ;)

Agreed, it's really great.

BTW, could the smaller scale version be done by separate configs, not TweakScale? 1:1 version could then natively support RealFuels and various other mods used by RealismOverhaul, while leaving the 64% version with standard KSP fuel types. That would make things somewhat more streamlined.

U

I think there is a big misunderstanding / miscommunication going on here. One of the reasons you think my logic is flawed is because of this. I'm not sure if I've phrased my intention incorrectly or if there have been certain assumptions made.

To correct the misunderstanding, I will flatly say again: I am providing 0.64 scaling AND 1:1 scaling. As in, both. The logic is not flawed, because you're applying it to the wrong side of the "and".

So to reiterate once again: I am providing both 0.64 scaling and 1.0 scaling.

Soo, we cool? ;)

Of course!!! Sometimes I hate these forums because everything contrary sometimes comes off as mean or angry. I was just trying to emphasize that your parts would be important in spite of all the other mods out there. It seemed like you were saying your parts wouldn't be useful because of all the other mods. I totally understand now what you're doing and im sorry for making it seem like I was argumentative or rude. Yes we are cool.

Agreed, it's really great.

BTW, could the smaller scale version be done by separate configs, not TweakScale? 1:1 version could then natively support RealFuels and various other mods used by RealismOverhaul, while leaving the 64% version with standard KSP fuel types. That would make things somewhat more streamlined.

TweakScale is but one option. A MM config could be written to autodetect RSS and/or RF and add the required support automatically. That's another option (though, one I don't know how to do yet)

U

Of course!!! Sometimes I hate these forums because everything contrary sometimes comes off as mean or angry. I was just trying to emphasize that your parts would be important in spite of all the other mods out there. It seemed like you were saying your parts wouldn't be useful because of all the other mods. I totally understand now what you're doing and im sorry for making it seem like I was argumentative or rude. Yes we are cool.

No worries mate :D

Uranus Orbiter.

Haha.

Sorry, its finals week

You forgot the rest of it: "Another probe, but smaller than the Europa Clipper. But then again, it is just an orbiter. (Please, no tissue paper jokes)"

;)

Nor any wisecracks about it being a first line of defence against Klingons. :D

Edited by Jack Wolfe

Update December 12th 2014

Good News!

SLS Block 1A is nearing completion.

Eye Candy:

Full view of Block 1A (mostly untextured)

http://i.imgur.com/YsxDk0J.png?1

Component view of Block 1A

http://i.imgur.com/Qw8FlZC.png?1

High Poly SSME

http://i.imgur.com/1ZqXrd8.png?1

Low Poly Engine with Normals/Texture baked from the High Poly

http://i.imgur.com/GhAFXa0.png?1

Looks great! can't wair to see the end result!

Looks great!

Btw, the poly count doesn't matter for the game, just saying;)

That does kinda depend on the polycount. The "Energy Project" addon has so high polycounts on one of the parts that it slows the game down by quite a bit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.