[WIP] NASA SLS - Released: Orion MPCV Core Module 1.0 [4/18/2015]

Medium Sized Tank (or the upper portion of the real, not so modular, SLS), Untextured.

Large Tank by noonespecial on Sketchfab

Large Sized Tank (or the lower portion of the real, not so modular, SLS), Untextured.

Large Tank by noonespecial on Sketchfab

Edited by noonespecial

Looks good. Just remember, all red parts on the SSME (or most rockets and aircraft, for that matter) are protective covering and generally should not be present on launch.

Updated the engine cluster to reflect the new source image (I know it isn't authentic, but it looks damn cool, so I'm using it ;) ) and fixed a small problem pointed out by YANFRET. Just a base color texture, no refinement and no normal map.

Engine-cluster by noonespecial on Sketchfab

Edited by noonespecial

Updated the engine cluster to reflect the new source image (I know it isn't authentic, but it looks damn cool, so I'm using it ;) ) and fixed a small problem pointed out by YANFRET. Just a base color texture, no refinement and no normal map.

So there will be no option to use the more realistic engine models now?

So there will be no option to use the more realistic engine models now?

The difference being: Decorative ridges and a black band. Not unrealistic, just doesn't match the current design... maybe, possibly, as future design hasn't exactly been finalized. So I'm not going to go crazy adhering to small details that haven't been finalized yet and are subject to change at any time. One of the drawbacks to modeling a future concept as opposed to historical replica.

I found this video made by boeing, it might be a helpful guide for a space launch system mars mission:

Lol oh look it's our NOS Duna Lander. Hmm I wonder where we got the idea. Actually seing it in this video makes me realize what a great job NoOneSpecial did with that part. We could easily fake that segment of the video with KSP.

PS: totally over the PSA style of this video. The PDF all that comes from is much less high school. However, the super short video segments of inflatable entry make it all worth while. Like Wow.

The difference being: Decorative ridges and a black band. Not unrealistic, just doesn't match the current design... maybe, possibly, as future design hasn't exactly been finalized. So I'm not going to go crazy adhering to small details that haven't been finalized yet and are subject to change at any time. One of the drawbacks to modeling a future concept as opposed to historical replica.

Hey, can we talk about the tops of the core stage engine fairings?

Where did you get the reference for making the duna lander?

not sure how much this will help, but here is one of the sources: http://spirit.as.utexas.edu/~fiso/telecon/Raftery_5-14-14/

and this might work: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz2xKY6gsft4bW1sMFVtR1RjVHc/view?usp=sharing

Edited by billbobjebkirk
added another source

Your first link is where most of the information for the lander came from. We had some other random pictures for elsewhere around the net, plus some artistic inspiration/liberties. Your second link I haven't looked at yet :).

• 2 weeks later...
ok, wanting to know, what's new...very interested in this mod...

Well, I'm just getting back into the swing of things after the holidays. But Chinese New Years is coming up soon (I'm in China, after all), so I'm planning on doing a full release before then. All the modeling is done, I'm just doing finishing touches on textures, animations, Unity and part configs.

The release will include:

NASA SLS Block 1A (Engine Cluster, Lower Stage, Middle Stage, adapters, SRB and fairings) [stock and RSS versions]

As well as the parts I've done for ChakaMonkey, with some personalized changes, including:

Altair Command Pod

Mars Lander

The following is on the tentative list, if I finish them, I finish them. Otherwise, they will have to wait until after Chinese New Years.

Orion MPCV

ICPS

some other things.

P.S. My strong point is modeling. I'm so-so with textures, but learning. Unity and Part.cfgs are my weak point and end up taking the longest. Any volunteers? ;)

Well, I'm just getting back into the swing of things after the holidays. But Chinese New Years is coming up soon (I'm in China, after all), so I'm planning on doing a full release before then. All the modeling is done, I'm just doing finishing touches on textures, animations, Unity and part configs.

The release will include:

NASA SLS Block 1A (Engine Cluster, Lower Stage, Middle Stage, adapters, SRB and fairings) [stock and RSS versions]

As well as the parts I've done for ChakaMonkey, with some personalized changes, including:

Altair Command Pod

Mars Lander

The following is on the tentative list, if I finish them, I finish them. Otherwise, they will have to wait until after Chinese New Years.

Orion MPCV

ICPS

some other things.

P.S. My strong point is modeling. I'm so-so with textures, but learning. Unity and Part.cfgs are my weak point and end up taking the longest. Any volunteers? ;)

If it helps any, go to youtube and check out the recent AMA (Ask Me Anything) by Bob Fitch (our friendly, neighborhood Felbourn)

I'll give part .cfgs a go if you wish, I'm confident with them.
If it helps any, go to youtube and check out the recent AMA (Ask Me Anything) by Bob Fitch (our friendly, neighborhood Felbourn)

Thanks for the offer and link...

But, the problem lies not in a lack of understanding of the part.cfg, but in what should be in the part.cfg. For example, balancing the parts. Weight, drag, fuel capacity, thrust, isp, etc. I know how to add them to the part.cfg, what I have trouble with is... should it have a thrust of X or a thrust of Y.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.