[WIP] NASA SLS - Released: Orion MPCV Core Module 1.0 [4/18/2015]

I have no idea which has the higest polycount. They all look good. Well, the pink one looks like it could do with a higher polycount...
The one on the right looks best to me. Those things on top of the nozzle coming outward are clearly defined, the engine looks round, and simply looks the best to me! :) Keep it up!

:D

8151E0I.png?1

From left to right...

12,508... 6,727... 3,154... 15,652... 26,803

Far right (26k) is the original model. Pink one (15k) is one I manually retop'd. The others were decimated in MeshLab from the original model.

Edited by noonespecial

Hey are all of these models gonna be downloadable? I just saw this tread and there is too much here for me figure to it out.

No he made this thread for kicks obviously, but if you believe hard enough, you can "will" the parts into your game.

No he made this thread for kicks obviously, but if you believe hard enough, you can "will" the parts into your game.

I just asked cause the only download I see is the Orion. Every thing else isn't there. People could post the download on their own thread you know. Maybe this was one show craft thingamajob.

Edit. Oh wait is the same person making all the models, I thought they were different people.

If anyone is interested....

There is a MASSIVE model of the SLS Block1 on the NASA website. What I mean by massive, is that it's over 5 million triangles. Good luck opening it. Even my i7 4770k / 32G DDR3 computer chokes when trying to open it. My god.

http://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/detail/sls-block1-obj

Here's a render of that SLS super mesh. I'm going to love combing over every detail of this thing looking for details to add to mine.

E1YZTIT.png?1

Edited by noonespecial

If anyone is interested....

There is a MASSIVE model of the SLS Block1 on the NASA website. What I mean by massive, is that it's over 5 million triangles. Good luck opening it. Even my i7 4770k / 32G DDR3 computer chokes when trying to open it. My god.

http://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/detail/sls-block1-obj

Here's a render of that SLS super mesh. I'm going to love combing over every detail of this thing looking for details to add to mine.

http://i.imgur.com/E1YZTIT.png?1

No Kidding! I've a 4790K, 16GB Ram, GTX780 6Gb and 500Gb SSD and I wasn't able to open it in Max 2016! Wow! Do they really have supercomputers at NASA?

Edit: Well I was eventually able to after few tweaks on the import and importing it with a Zbrush preset.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Devinci
eventually!

Actually that is the CGI model they will use to fake the Mars landings.

(I'll let myself out now.)

To quote the forever eternal words of Gloria Gaynor-

"GO ON NOW GO

WALK OUT THE DOOR

JUST TURN AROUND NOW

YOU AIN'T WELCOME ANYMORE"

actually you're entitled to your opinion so i guess stay

No Kidding! I've a 4790K, 16GB Ram, GTX780 6Gb and 500Gb SSD and I wasn't able to open it in Max 2016! Wow! Do they really have supercomputers at NASA?

Edit: Well I was eventually able to after few tweaks on the import and importing it with a Zbrush preset.

http://imgur.com/a/zc8zx

I'm pretty sure that the model was created in Zbrush, which would also explain it's ridiculous size (and dirty topology).

Just remember that the tank will be orange.

I can't disagree more. There are no current official sources to suggest it will be orange. The only places I've seen orange tanks are from early artist concept pictures from unofficial sources (nasaspaceflight.com for example).

There have been forums upon forums and threads upon threads and threads in forums and so on discussing this. Some speculate that the tank will be left unpainted (like the shuttle ET) for weight purposes. Some speculate that the tank will be painted black and white (like the Ares) for roll control and better thermal management. However, I'm not in the department of adhering to speculations. There is but one answer to the will it be orange or white question, and that is.... wait for the launch in 2018. I personally don't want to wait until 2018 to release this mod, so I will be adhering to the most up to date official source material, which all display the SLS as painted black and white.

If, in three years, the SLS launches with an orange tank. Then I'll change the texture ;)

I will be adhering to the most up to date official source material, which all display the SLS as painted black and white.

Artist's renditions are not official sources. A particular egregious recent example - note the glaring inaccuracies in this rendition of CST-100: http://www.collectspace.com/images/news-022015e-lg.jpg

There is absolutely no reason to paint the tank, for the exact same reason there was no reason to paint Space Shuttle's ET. The orange spray-on polyurethane foam insulation provides all the necessary thermal protection, that's why it's there. This is the reason Delta IV is unpainted orange, the reason HIIA and B are unpainted orange. Ariane 5 is also unpainted, but uses light-colored bricks of insulation instead of spray-on foam.

You are right, that the most official source is actually hardware that has flown. This particular bit of hardware has flown (unstretched), as part of Space Shuttle.

Plus it looks way better.

Artist's renditions are not official sources. A particular egregious recent example - note the glaring inaccuracies in this rendition of CST-100: http://www.collectspace.com/images/news-022015e-lg.jpg

There is absolutely no reason to paint the tank, for the exact same reason there was no reason to paint Space Shuttle's ET. The orange spray-on polyurethane foam insulation provides all the necessary thermal protection, that's why it's there. This is the reason Delta IV is unpainted orange, the reason HIIA and B are unpainted orange. Ariane 5 is also unpainted, but uses light-colored bricks of insulation instead of spray-on foam.

You are right, that the most official source is actually hardware that has flown. This particular bit of hardware has flown (unstretched), as part of Space Shuttle.

Plus it looks way better.

Like I said, and this should be the end of this particular discussion, I will not engage in, nor adhere to, speculation. All official material, official websites and press releases, show the SLS as painted black and white. Yes, it is possible that in the future, they will not paint the tank. One could argue, that the painted version is simply for it to look attractive for press releases. Irrelevant. Opinion of which one looks better is irrelevant. I will be creating the mod using the most up to date official material. I will not deviate from official material for reasons that are purely speculative. If you disagree, you can make a custom texture once I release the mod and release it as your own mod. That's all.

Like I said, and this should be the end of this particular discussion, I will not engage in, nor adhere to, speculation. All official material, official websites and press releases, show the SLS as painted black and white. Yes, it is possible that in the future, they will not paint the tank. One could argue, that the painted version is simply for it to look attractive for press releases. Irrelevant. Opinion of which one looks better is irrelevant. I will be creating the mod using the most up to date official material. I will not deviate from official material for reasons that are purely speculative. If you disagree, you can make a custom texture once I release the mod and release it as your own mod. That's all.

But I have a different opinion that is wrong and I want you to do extra work so I don't have too!

But I have a different opinion that is wrong and I want you to do extra work so I don't have too!

That's not nice. Also how can an opinion be "wrong"?

I was just trying to give my advice on how to accurately represent this beautiful space vehicle. If discussion isn't welcome, there is no reason this should be on a forum.

Edited by Kibble

That's not nice. Also how can an opinion be "wrong"?

I was just trying to give my advice on how to accurately represent this beautiful space vehicle. If discussion isn't welcome, there is no reason this should be on a forum.

Discussion is welcome, but only discussion that is correct, not wrong.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.