[WIP] NASA SLS - Released: Orion MPCV Core Module 1.0 [4/18/2015]

Update

A spot of bad news guys. About four months ago, I announced that I had to take a break due to health reasons. Well, my treatment is on going but recently I've taken a turn for the worse. Don't worry, it's nothing life threatening. I haven't touched a model in about two weeks because currently I find it uncomfortable to sit in any one position for any length of time. So instead of leaving you guys wondering what's up with no status updates, I'm leaving this note. I'm not sure how long it will be, but I probably won't be doing any modeling in the near future.

Best case scenario would be a few weeks, I'm seeing my doctor again tomorrow to see about having my treatment adjusted. Worst case scenario will be two or three months. Don't worry though, this mod is close to 90% completion and I plan to take it that last 10% under any circumstances.

I apologize for the delay. I know many of you are eagerly waiting for this.

Thats fine, its not like people will stop caring [or some at least will] but even the thought to take on a project of this scale is amazing!

- - - Updated - - -

I hope that the Orion capsule is painted white so it looks cool.

Also, can you make it seat 4 Kerbals, so we can have the original 4 in one pod?

What at size is it? 3.75 m or 2.5 m. I'm hoping for 2.5 m.

probably 3.75 or a new size...

• 2 weeks later...

First and foremost, best of wishes with your health and I hope for a speedy recovery but take as much time as you need.

Might I suggest that you could put your project up on github so others (like myself) could help with things like part.cfg files? I have dabbled a decent amount in making and testing .cfg files, particularly for setting up parts in RSS, and it can get tedious at times but I certainly like working with them more than 3D modeling. I can completely understand if you want to avoid that because as helpful as the community can be sometimes, I have also seen it cause many issues by those who don't really know what they're doing. Just throwing the idea out there.

Update

It's been nearly a month since I "called in sick", thanks for all the well wishes. That being said, I am recovering once again. Not yet well enough to start modeling again in earnest, but I'm close. Just want to drop a note to let you guys know that I'm still alive and this project isn't abandoned :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. My health issues are over (mostly) and I'm getting ready to get back into the full swing and finish this damn cursed SLS mod.

To tell the truth, my health has been better for a little while now, but I've been a bit distracted by other things. Namely, this:

OyvFOHpl.jpg

Allow me to introduce the new Mrs. NoOneSpecial. :D

That being said, time to get back business and finish this thing. My apologies for the extended delay(s).

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys. My health issues are over (mostly) and I'm getting ready to get back into the full swing and finish this damn cursed SLS mod.

To tell the truth, my health has been better for a little while now, but I've been a bit distracted by other things. Namely, this:

http://i.imgur.com/OyvFOHpl.jpg

Allow me to introduce the new Mrs. NoOneSpecial. :D

That being said, time to get back business and finish this thing. My apologies for the extended delay(s).

Congratulations!!!

Mostly keeping with the same model (hahaha). I have finished a complete overhault of the MPCV. Nothing you'd notice, but it's a much cleaner mesh and easier to work with UV Map now. All that remains is the finishing touched on the models and textures. Then starts to the fun and exciting [/sarcasm] part.cfg testing and configurations.

This is what, the 9th or 10th time you've redone the Orion? Now that's dedication!

Yeah.... It's a problem of lack of experience and being a bit of a perfectionist. A year ago, I knew absolutely nothing about 3D modeling. So everytime I've done the Orion, I learn how I could have done it better. So, I do it better from scratch. Most of the time, it's caused by a small imperfection in the mesh. Like, here:

WSEVQ0k.png?1

and here.

Otm0tpl.png?1

But the latest one appears to be perfect (or at least, free of visual artifacts.)

SjIryKM.png?1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.