The ship becomes unstable in mid-flight

I'm not saying you're stupid, since I've done this, but you're not pressing random keys before launch, are you? Are you using the keyboard or a joystick / controller?

Also, it may be because your rocket is not symmetrical, although that probably wouldn't make the dials go crazy.

You might just have to download the game again. If so, save your parts and your ships folders in a back up folder, so when you re-download the game, you can have the same parts and ships.

Hope I was of some help.

Ok, try these:

1. Unless its all boosters (you can't change the power of boosters), try starting the launch at a lower power, then slowly excelerate.

2. If you have fins on, try putting them on the bottom of every stage that burns in the atmosphere. This will create little drag but enough to keep the rocket aligned.

3. Add more SAS modules. Make sure they are activatred before launch

4. IF all fails, try one last thing, you may be going too slow which makes it tip over, so try adding boosters.

That's all I can say.

For that matter, don't use too many SAS modules. I've had scenario's where they would caused a sort of resonance and they would overcorrect so much that the ship got worse and worse every pass until eventually ripping itself apart. Also try to keep them near the centerline, they produce force at their location - on a rocket with 'legs', as many sort of do - they will bend and twist and this can compound the problem.

For that matter, don't use too many SAS modules. I've had scenario's where they would caused a sort of resonance and they would overcorrect so much that the ship got worse and worse every pass until eventually ripping itself apart. Also try to keep them near the centerline, they produce force at their location - on a rocket with 'legs', as many sort of do - they will bend and twist and this can compound the problem.

A little trick with the SAS modules is that, should you notice the corrections starting to amplify undesired behavior: Wait until the rocket hits a point where it would begin to change direction, then quickly disengage and re-engage the modules. It should (assuming the rocket is simply spinning around its vertical axis) stabilize the rotations.

I often seem to build rockets that start spinning like a bullet coming off the launchpad, and I've found this works pretty well

I've noticed that, any sort of radial decoupler SRBs tend to start swaying back and forth for me, hell, flat/wide rocket designs start 'flapping' and the entire rocket becomes rapidly unstable because of it, often until I jettison the rockets or they basically dealign the rocket severely.

Only a single quad setup of these is stable for a -while-. Is it because they are on full burn?

am I missing something? building them wrong?

Before I launch all of my dials (throttle, G meter, yaw, roll ect.) seem to alll go crazy and mid flight the ship becomes unstable any ideas why?

Creating a stable flight can both be a tricky and simple ordeal, if you just remember to place SAS systems on every stage without distrupting fuel lines it'll be fine (or so you'd hope) if not then there just a problem with how you've designed it, is there another way you can make it? a loop hole you can exploit? if so try it.