[1.1] NavUtilities, ft. HSI & Instrument Landing System

kujuman

1 hour ago, DeputyLOL said:

@kujuman Do you think RPM could get a 'Runway' or 'Waypoint' variable so we know when NavUtilities is following a waypoint or lining up with a runway.

do you just want to know if it's a runway or a waypoint? Navutils always has some target destination selected, even if the screen isn't up. If you let me know what you're thinking you'll do with it that will help me figure out how to write it

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 0:43 PM, kujuman said:

do you just want to know if it's a runway or a waypoint?

@kujuman Yeah, basically.

The reason why is because I might be using the variables from NavUtilities and putting them into pilot assistant to make an autopilot that might be able to autoland or follow waypoints.

Edited by DeputyLOL

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've used this mod before a while ago but can't seem to install it properly/it won't work - even with the quick fix posted just a few replies above.  Can anyone tel me exactly what to put in my KSP gamedata folder from the GitHub download?  There's a lot of folders in that zip file.  BTW, I already have RPM working in my KSP.  

Thanks in advance for the help. 

17 hours ago, LnX said:

Hi,

I've used this mod before a while ago but can't seem to install it properly/it won't work - even with the quick fix posted just a few replies above.  Can anyone tel me exactly what to put in my KSP gamedata folder from the GitHub download?  There's a lot of folders in that zip file.  BTW, I already have RPM working in my KSP.  

Thanks in advance for the help. 

Download the release version: https://github.com/kujuman/NavInstruments/releases/download/0.6.1/NavUtilities.0.6.1.zip

Then you need to copy the "KerbalScienceFoundation" folder from the archive into your KSP/GameData where all of your other mods are. So your Kerbal Space Program folder structure should look like that:

jW4fQ0V.png

If you play KSP v1.1.3 don't forget to replace the file "\GameData\KerbalScienceFoundation\NavInstruments\NavUtilLib.dll" with the one I've posted earlier.

Edited by Ser

Ive been dying to use this mod but my loading screen has been stuck on analogHSI and the game wont load. If i take the file out it simply does not work. I have replaced the library.dll file and still nothing. I have RPM, toolbar and a good amount of other mods but this one does not work. Please help.

P.s. Here is my log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gn0o8xh8jp1diws/KSP copy.log?dl=0

3 hours ago, stealthyki11a said:

Ive been dying to use this mod but my loading screen has been stuck on analogHSI and the game wont load. If i take the file out it simply does not work. I have replaced the library.dll file and still nothing. I have RPM, toolbar and a good amount of other mods but this one does not work. Please help.

P.s. Here is my log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gn0o8xh8jp1diws/KSP copy.log?dl=0

Could not find file "/Users/Alex/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/GameData/KerbalScienceFoundation/NavInstruments/PluginData/NavUtilLib (1)/hsi_overlay.png".

Looks like you have wrong folder structure. Make sure you've installed everything as I've described a post above.

Edited by Ser

5 hours ago, Ser said:

Could not find file "/Users/Alex/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/GameData/KerbalScienceFoundation/NavInstruments/PluginData/NavUtilLib (1)/hsi_overlay.png".

Looks like you have wrong folder structure. Make sure you've installed everything as I've described a post above.

Everything seems in order. Here is a pic of my files and yes it does go gamedata/kerbalsciencefoundation/navinstruments then this https://www.dropbox.com/s/78rr1h09jb87c04/Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 8.48.44 AM.png?dl=0

Edited by stealthyki11a

52 minutes ago, stealthyki11a said:

Everything seems in order. Here is a pic of my files and yes it does go gamedata/kerbalsciencefoundation/navinstruments then this https://www.dropbox.com/s/78rr1h09jb87c04/Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 8.48.44 AM.png?dl=0

If you look carefully you'll see that for some reason you have "NavUtilLib (1).dll" file instead of "NavUtilLib.dll". I guess the dll's name is used to automatically generate the folder's path and, of course, the game can't find it. The best way is to delete "NavUtilLib (1).dll"  and put this file on its place. And don't rename it.

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, DeepSlayLP said:

Why is it only showing two buttons (Next runway; next G/S)? Is it due to it only being supported by 1.1 or is it also supported in 1.1.x?

You'll find the solution if you read through the Page 12, my friend.

• 4 weeks later...

@Ser

On 6/29/2016 at 10:42 PM, Ser said:

If @kujuman doesn't mind, here's a quick fix for KSP 1.1.3

Replace "\GameData\KerbalScienceFoundation\NavInstruments\NavUtilLib.dll" file with the one from the link. Source code is on the GitHub.

didn't work for me:

Spoiler

a05fc70cbedf47fb9054f3de16f1c80c.png

Spoiler

e9c5d7d561904bc486567e8b3cbe6bd6.png

I did everything you said, also tried to reinstall it all and use your dll, yet nothing changed.

EDIT: Don't be alarmed, I signed up just to try and see if you can help me.

Edited by kostor
mention @ser

20 hours ago, kostor said:

I did everything you said, also tried to reinstall it all and use your dll, yet nothing changed.

EDIT: Don't be alarmed, I signed up just to try and see if you can help me.

So you've signed up just to try me? :) Just kidding. It would be nice to see your output_log.txt from KSP_Data folder.

@Ser

10 hours ago, Ser said:

So you've signed up just to try me? :) Just kidding. It would be nice to see your output_log.txt from KSP_Data folder.

I'm sorry for not responding any sooner, as I had a long day at work.

Anyway, I tried using pastebin but it limits to 500Kb per paste, and the file is around 9.5MB. 

I have it on dropbox here, but it shows that you need to download it as it too big to preview. Tell me if you know any online service

so you won't have to download it if you don't want to.

Edited by kostor
grammar

14 hours ago, kostor said:

I'm sorry for not responding any sooner, as I had a long day at work.

Anyway, I tried using pastebin but it limits to 500Kb per paste, and the file is around 9.5MB. 

I have it on dropbox here, but it shows that you need to download it as it too big to preview. Tell me if you know any online service

so you won't have to download it if you don't want to.

Can't see anything interesting in that log. I'd recommend you to do the following: run KSP without any other mods, with NavUtils only. Make sure the issue persists and then copy the output_log.txt file.

2 hours ago, Ser said:

Can't see anything interesting in that log. I'd recommend you to do the following: run KSP without any other mods, with NavUtils only. Make sure the issue persists and then copy the output_log.txt file.

@Ser

I will start doing that. It will take some time to check what mod might cause this, but I will report back with what I should find.

EDIT:

My research shows this is the mods that causes this problem. This mod also changes the texture of kerbin to Earth. it is used to fuel Real Solar System, Real Solar System Extended and Sigma Binary. Without them, all planets will look like default ones rather like earth and other planets in the solar system.

Edited by kostor

@kostor

Are you sure about Kopernicus? I have it too but without Real Solar System stuff and everything looks ok. Could you post your output_log.txt when running KSP with NavUtils and Kopernicus and after you see the issue had appeared?

2 hours ago, Ser said:

@kostor

Are you sure about Kopernicus? I have it too but without Real Solar System stuff and everything looks ok. Could you post your output_log.txt when running KSP with NavUtils and Kopernicus and after you see the issue had appeared?

@Ser

After another check, it seems like it is rather a cocktail of mods that when I add kopernicus to it, it causes the navutil to fail. How should I operate next? you sure nothing came up in the output_log.txt?

Here is the modlist:

Spoiler

5d9eaf7384084d958660d8e3f8a5f189.png

Now just remember that I can't vouch for every mod name in the list, as some mods use different name than the one presented in the KSP forum/CKAN. But I'm sure they are all familiar by now. 

1 hour ago, kostor said:

@Ser

After another check, it seems like it is rather a cocktail of mods that when I add kopernicus to it, it causes the navutil to fail. How should I operate next? you sure nothing came up in the output_log.txt?

I just assume that the log was not complete. So I ask you to make sure the bug is reproduced and post the output_log.txt right after that again. Of course, if you launch 64 bit version the file should be from KSP_x64_Data folder, just in case. The thing is that every time I saw a similar issue there was a clear error message in the log. If it's a conflict with some mod it most likely result in exception too. So it should be there if the log is correct.

Edited by Ser

1 hour ago, Ser said:

I just assume that the log was not complete. So I ask you to make sure the bug is reproduced and post the output_log.txt right after that again. Of course, if you launch 64 bit version the file should be from KSP_x64_Data folder, just in case. The thing is that every time I saw a similar issue there was a clear error message in the log. If it's a conflict with some mod it most likely result in exception too. So it should be there if the log is correct.

@Ser Again, when adding RSS it happened. This time I checked the txt file, seems like it throws something for Navutil. 

Though, I am not sure why, but it doesn't seem like RSS has anything to do with it.

Please check it out on Dropbox.

Error that repeats: (But I'll let you check it as there is more to it)

Spoiler

(Filename:  Line: -1)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at NavUtilLib.Utils.CalcDistance (Double lat1, Double lon1, Double altMSL1, Double lat2, Double lon2, Double altMSL2, System.String bodyName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NavUtilLib.Utils.CalcDistanceToBeacon (.Vessel thisVessel, NavUtilLib.Runway currentRwy) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NavUtilLib.GlobalVariables.FlightData.updateNavigationData () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NavUtilLib.NavUtilLibApp.DrawGauge (UnityEngine.RenderTexture screen) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NavUtilLib.NavUtilLibApp.OnWindow (Int32 WindowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Edited by kostor

17 hours ago, kostor said:

@Ser Again, when adding RSS it happened. This time I checked the txt file, seems like it throws something for Navutil. 

Though, I am not sure why, but it doesn't seem like RSS has anything to do with it.

Please check it out on Dropbox.

O'right, there's something to look at finally. I don't use RSS mod yet so I can't check that myself but my biggest guess is that the trouble is caused by that Kerbin is renamed to Earth in RSS. So you can try to edit the files VABpads.rwy and custom.rwy in the folder KerbalScienceFoundation\NavInstruments\Runways and change every entry of the word "Kerbin" to "Earth".

Hope that helps and if that does please let us know here.

2 hours ago, Ser said:

O'right, there's something to look at finally. I don't use RSS mod yet so I can't check that myself but my biggest guess is that the trouble is caused by that Kerbin is renamed to Earth in RSS. So you can try to edit the files VABpads.rwy and custom.rwy in the folder KerbalScienceFoundation\NavInstruments\Runways and change every entry of the word "Kerbin" to "Earth".

Hope that helps and if that does please let us know here.

@Ser It took some more than just those 2 files: also the defaultrunways.cfg.

I'm also using KSC Switcher for more options when launching, which changes the runways and their headings. Anyway to handle that, so Navutil will be aligned with the chosen runway?

4 minutes ago, kostor said:

@Ser It took some more than just those 2 files: also the defaultrunways.cfg.

I'm also using KSC Switcher for more options when launching, which changes the runways and their headings. Anyway to handle that, so Navutil will be aligned with the chosen runway?

NavUtil just uses the coords from those config files so I'm afraid they may be messed up for non-standard runways. In that case you'll have to create correct runway descriptions for NavUtil yourself. I think you can use RPM's NAV page to get precise coords and vessel mover.

So, in general, did my solution work for you? Do you see a proper HSI window now?

Just now, Ser said:

NavUtil just uses the coords from those config files so I'm afraid they may be messed up for non-standard runways. In that case you'll have to create correct runway descriptions for NavUtil yourself. I think you can use RPM's NAV page to get precise coords and vessel mover.

So, in general, did my solution work for you? Do you see a proper HSI window now?

Yes, Thank you for all of your help. I hope that the mod creator would think about adding config files for RSS.

@kostor@kujuman

I think the good solution would be to make runway configs as regular KSP's cfgs, so the runways could be altered and added via Module Manager. That would let creators of custom runways to add configs for them to work with NavUtils, and may be they even would not be lazy enough to do this :)

The other thing I'd propose is to ignore runways not belonging to celestial body of the active vessel, so Earth runways would never appear in stock universe and Kerbin would never appear in RSS and cause those NullReferences.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.