Kolsys 8.6 - Complete System Explorer

Kolsys 8.6, a complete system explorer in one mission.

Kerbaltek is proud to present Kolsys 8.6, a complete system explorer mission in one launch. This is the newest evolution of the long Kolsys line, with all our best tech included:
- A heavy lifter that shoves well over 500 tonnes into any orbit.
- A interplanetary tug good for moving anything... like asteroids.
- A high-performance lander, with an ultra-low-profile, solar/ion rover.
- Robotic or manned operation at every stage.
- Proudly all stock with zero add-ons and no clipping or altered parts.
- Under 500 parts, with no fancy angles or building techniques makes for easy customization.
- Carefully built and finely tuned for maximum power, efficiency, and flexibility.
- It's super-neat and fun to fly!

She may not be small, but her brute power at launch quickly gives way to graceful navigation through the entire system. Ask her to dance and give her a whirl, then please tell us how she does for you.

http://www.Kerbaltek.com/craftkitchen

Edited by Ezriilc
updates, formatting, typos

Why are the nuclear engines firing during the launch?

To help with heavy lifting. Since they become very efficient at even low altitudes, it's worth it to have them running from the beginning.

Generally, I don't like any "dead weight", like non-working engines and empty tanks.

Thrust is stopped if there is a part behind an engine like your big tanks below, you'll just end up adding more stress to the ship

Thrust is stopped if there is a part behind an engine like your big tanks below, you'll just end up adding more stress to the ship

You'll find that's not a problem with this ship.

I recommend you try it before knocking it. There is a lot of thought and testing in this design.

I just found and fixed an interesting problem - I think. The nuclear engines are so high on the structure, that their thrust vectoring was causing a positive feedback loop in the steering with just the core section. The pivot point of the ship is well below the center of thrust, making the engines steer in the opposite direction - an odd little problem, but big enough to be a major hassle.

EDIT: I can't figure out how I was able to make the runs to Moho and Eeloo if this was a problem, but I did have some "glitches" with MechJeb on those runs, so maybe this was that. [shrugs] EDIT:EDIT: Further testing revealed this was only a problem during stage 3 - after the size-3 single engine was jettisoned, and before the next tank drop - making the ship long enough to confuse the remaining engines. I've seen that with control surfaces in strange places too.

I've locked the gimbals for the nuke engines to prevent this, and the torque on board should be able to handle the steering required. If this causes any problems, please let me know.

Edited by Ezriilc

I just found and fixed an interesting problem - I think. The nuclear engines are so high on the structure, that their thrust vectoring was causing a positive feedback loop in the steering with just the core section. The pivot point of the ship is well below the center of thrust, making the engines steer in the opposite direction - an odd little problem, but big enough to be a major hassle.

EDIT: I can't figure out how I was able to make the runs to Moho and Eeloo if this was a problem, but I did have some "glitches" with MechJeb on those runs, so maybe this was that. [shrugs] EDIT:EDIT: Further testing revealed this was only a problem during stage 3 - after the size-3 single engine was jettisoned, and before the next tank drop - making the ship long enough to confuse the remaining engines. I've seen that with control surfaces in strange places too.

I've locked the gimbals for the nuke engines to prevent this, and the torque on board should be able to handle the steering required. If this causes any problems, please let me know.

Yeah, the engine gimbal code doesn't take into account tractor designs, they always work wrong and you have to lock the gimbals ad steer with other means. If you didn't find the problem earlier it was because the other engines were overcompensating, and with their higher thrust they can do so without issues.

Rune.Then again, nukes give you the control authority of a turd, so you don't loose much, but it's an old bug.

Yeah, the engine gimbal code doesn't take into account tractor designs, they always work wrong and you have to lock the gimbals ad steer with other means. If you didn't find the problem earlier it was because the other engines were overcompensating, and with their higher thrust they can do so without issues.
I seem to remember this bug from earlier versions of KSP, but I'm glad to hear someone confirm it - thanks! I really would have thought they'd clean that code up by now [sheesh]. I know that some control surfaces used to do that too, but of course they can be reversed to compensate.
Then again, nukes give you the control authority of a turd, so you don't loose much, but it's an old bug.
"Respect my athoriti!"

Meh... My authority comes from a crisp, clean, white lab coat, my outstanding engineering chops - and probably too much reliance on reaction wheels. Yuckity-yuck.

I'm proud to announce some recent additions to my ribbons that are a direct result of this ship. Moho orbit, rover, etc.; Eeloo orbit, rover, etc....

Kolsys is so forgiving that even with silly mistakes I'm still able to get our man home with little trouble.

I'm proud to announce some recent additions to my ribbons that are a direct result of this ship. Moho orbit, rover, etc.; Eeloo orbit, rover, etc....

Kolsys is so forgiving that even with silly mistakes I'm still able to get our man home with little trouble.

Where do you get those banners? I think I may need one for my first working SSTO.

you need a more simple launcher. What is the palyoad of the upper stage? The Cira IV can carry up to 170 tonnes....

Cira IV

Designer: Zekes

COMPLETED

(KSP-23.5) Our New launcher! The Cira IV can take at least 170 tonnes OF PURE PAYLOAD to LKO.

Download: https://www./?79xc541f9j040f6

http://i.imgur.com/nqA16qg.png

If you mean there's too many stages, I agree.

That ship is very nice. I haven't tested Kolsys' capacity recently, but I shall and report back what I find.

you need a more simple launcher. What is the palyoad of the upper stage? The Cira IV can carry up to 170 tonnes....

Cira IV

Designer: Zekes

COMPLETED

(KSP-23.5) Our New launcher! The Cira IV can take at least 170 tonnes OF PURE PAYLOAD to LKO.

Download: https://www./?79xc541f9j040f6

http://i.imgur.com/nqA16qg.png

The Cira IV uses part-clipping a bit more than I'm comfortable with.

Rather than starting a new thread, I'll post it here. I've already moved on to the next generation of Kolsys, albeit with the same - good - lander.

Kolsys 8 can put over 500 tonnes into orbit, and easily gets to any body in the system - and back from most.

http://www.Kerbaltek.com/craftkitchen

Edited by Ezriilc
Fixed dead links.

This is just a note to point out that the KSP Ribbon Generator, which was asked about in this thread, has been recreated on our new site. Enjoy!

http://www.Kerbaltek.com/ribbons

I've been doing a lot of missions with Kolsys 8 in various forms - and earning cool ribbons for them, and I've made some minor updates to the downloadable ship. There was a power and RCS problem and also a strut issue fixed.

The next big project appears to be getting Jeb off the surface of Eve - if such a thing is even possible. I want that achievement wreath!

Edited by Ezriilc

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.