Features Poll for Historically Accurate Pirate Simulator 2016.

Techiastronamo

Introduction

I am currently working heavily on a historically accurate pirate life simulator in theme of an RPG.

The problem is, I need to know what people want. So far, I'm getting a lot of good responses in

turn for the idea itself. But I will need more than good comments about the idea,

I need actual ideas for it that the community has given.

The Game

The first 5 minutes of gameplay (excluding tutorial) has you to start out in your house,

doing your tasks that is in the story and is set as tiny little quests that take less than 1 minute.

From there, you can do what you want once you buy your first boat from the retired English Royal Navy captain who now

resides upon the little island that is so dear to you.

Features:

Done

Work In Progress

Planned

Not Going to Be Implemented

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Islands

New Combat System (overhaul)

Better Movement

Choice-related Consequence

Scurvy, and many other illnesses

Medicine for these illnesses (not exactly cures, but few)

Hunger and thirst, which means scurvy if not enough citrus

No more talking about scurvy in this list

Videogame/TV Show references (removed in full game)

Customizable character traits)

Theft (because why not?)

Better computer computation in combat

Bigger better islands

Randomly generated islands

Contracts for piracy

Historically accurate islands

Customizable ships (traits)

Customizable character (name and such)

Buyable/Sellable residences (maximum of 3 houses)

Multiplayer

Stereotypical pirate speak

Scurvy Jokes

Other Stuff

The poll: http://strawpoll.me/2080378

Edited by Techiastronamo
Considering people are giving me more ideas, I will just make this the main post for the game on this forum!

Why would I ever add inaccurate things? That's too stereotypical if I did.

Edit: I might add "Yarr" as an easter egg (hidden of course) to mock stereotypes and stereotypical things like that.

Edited by Techiastronamo

Most common cause of death. . . scurvy. :sealed:

Not a bad idea, and maybe the main gameplay should focus on daily ship life, where you start off as a junior guy, and eventually become the captain at the end of the game. Battles should be rare-ish events, but not too rare, or it might get boring.

A lot of pirates were actually privateers and worked under contract. That could be a good way to get started.

Very true, which is how the player starts out.

Also one thing to consider - the captain was not a very authoritative figure as portrayed in the media and novels.

I don't know yet how to make the captain, considering a lot of people enjoy the stereotypical stuff, yet others enjoy the historically accurate. Since the captain isn't that authoritative, I have to edit some of the crew values for each and every captain in the game (NPC, not the player when he becomes a captain... it's already fixed), to make sure that they are as realistic and accurate as possible.

Most common cause of death. . . scurvy. :sealed:

Well, there will be hunger and thirst in the game. If you're not eating enough citrus, it may cause you to have scurvy. And the crew itself will have their own meals, considering that it'd be too much work and stress to feed each and every single pirate yourself. Best to go to a pub and have a drink and some food there. Some pubs will only sell drinks, others will sell both food and drinks.

Not a bad idea, and maybe the main gameplay should focus on daily ship life, where you start off as a junior guy, and eventually become the captain at the end of the game. Battles should be rare-ish events, but not too rare, or it might get boring.

Yes, that is how it will work. Work your way up. From a contracted privateer, all the way to the best buccaneer captain you can be (map is all fictional islands in a Caribbean setting, so no real historical islands yet, which we may add as a free update to the game).

Edited by Techiastronamo

Weather. It's pretty important in the life of the modern seafarer, and that's with satellite information giving warning of storms (or complete lack of wind). Imagine you have no clue what's around the corner, weather-wise.

not sure if its been said yet, but one thing i always longed for in pirate games(only one got this) is the ability to walk around on your ship, man a cannon or the wheel, or just sit and stare at the sea. small but its been a deal breaker for me with pirate games

Want anyone to help with testing? Or is it not even that far yet?

Well, if you want to test the first 5 minutes, I can release a small little preview of the game. I am heavily working on the pub, so you may not find it done/you may find a lot of problems in the pub because it is not complete yet. If you find any bugs, it'd be best to tell me. Otherwise, we may end up with a buggy game that none of you want to play.

Weather. It's pretty important in the life of the modern seafarer, and that's with satellite information giving warning of storms (or complete lack of wind). Imagine you have no clue what's around the corner, weather-wise.

The only clue you would have is of your own predictions of the clouds and weather patterns (using complex patterns set up to act as how a storm would). If it's been very dry (no rain) for a long time, then you can expect a higher chance of rain. I plan to have a command that the player is able to use to predict (inaccurately) the weather.

I checked everything, and I agree with Kerbart; weather is important and it adds realism.

Also sword-fighting :P

There will be all sorts of weather planned, and who doesn't love sword-fighting?

not sure if its been said yet, but one thing i always longed for in pirate games(only one got this) is the ability to walk around on your ship, man a cannon or the wheel, or just sit and stare at the sea. small but its been a deal breaker for me with pirate games

That is a planned feature. But currently, you cannot do anything much but actually manually control the ship the entire time (due to technological limitations of this engine I am using).

Realistic sailing? such as wind directions, irons, wind levels, etc?

I plan to add such a thing, but it will have to be made in a simple manner that the players can understand. Otherwise it will get a little hectic with managing that in storms and combat (unless stationary in combat). For now, not really.

Things to include:

Real islands. Topography of the whole world down to 1 km resolution is freely available, https://lta.cr.usgs.gov/GTOPO30 , though you might need to procedurally generate the small-scale detail.

The quartermaster. Quartermasters were the real power on pirate ships, able to veto the captain on all matters except battle. Perhaps if the player is to be a captain, the AI-controlled quartermaster would reign the player in.

Women. They weren't common, but there certainly were some among pirate crews.

Impact of global events. For example the famous destruction of Port Royal, and later the end of the War of Spanish Succession that freed up a load of sailors.

I guess you're not including "yarr", and other stereotype crap? Because that would be very inaccurate.

Some pirates really would have gone "yarr", it's just a West Country accent. My in-laws' neighbor goes "yarr", although he is a walking stereotype.

• 1 month later...

I am taking a short break on the simulator. I will resume development shortly. Multiplayer is impossible so far with RPG Maker VX Ace, but may be possible soon. Also, a random generator for islands is yet to be developed. It seems to be nearly impossible for the engine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.