About KSP's music...

I want Hans Zimmer music for my Shepard Kerman, while he is kicking Kraken Reaper with his goo'gun! Go Shepard! Go kick asses with your Kermandy! :sticktongue:

Well, more seriously it would be nice to have more musics and modified ones to be unable to find when it finishes and when it starts so you do'nt have the loop boring effect. Ambient music for atmospheric planet flights/rides would be nice.

Sorry composers but almost the first thing I do with any new game is mute the music. I don't want it, I don't need it and the amount I play all that repetiton gets very grating.

The only exception to this in my collection of ~400 games is the excellent album by Daniel Indart (y los Corales) written for Tropico.

I usually listen to the game music for at least a little while before shutting it off, but it's inevitable for most titles. My big exception is Chrono Trigger. Even with the old-school MIDI synthesizer, Yasunori Mitsuda's compositions are just that amazing.

There's music?! I never noticed that option.

As a homage to Kubrick, I sometimes find Blue Danube on youtube. I'm definitely around 5-10% better at docking while it's playing. Probably. Bolero is another good option.

I absolutely love the game's music and the impact it had on me when I first played the game!

As soon as I heard some of the tracks while playing I knew this is going to be one of the greatest games!

I enjoyed every single track! Maybe except the theme song... it's O.K.

So no changing please!!!! :-( (adding more is O.K.)

It would be cool however, if the music was slightly interactive.

For instance: you're in a solar orbit and there are no planet encounters - "no return" plays. But not repeatedly.

---update---

Another thing I'd like to point out - sure, this game's music gets annoying with time, but that's how it is with ANY game music, or any music at all after you listened to it for some time.

Edited by Overfloater

Kevin macleod also has other songs, one of which would work great for eve IMO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW2SYYyq0vE

That would be best for Minmus IMO

I think there certainly should be more tracks, whether or not they are by the same person. Thinking about it, the music KSP uses is at a professional standard, it's just that the composer allows everyone to use his music.

Edited by Javster

The music should comprise not only tracks but loops that gameplay triggers and otherwise affects, immersing the player. For example, a bass drum could beat whilst the player flies near the surface, becoming louder and faster when he accelerates, experiences great drag, or nears the ground. This change in tempo and volume would emphasize the experience, making atmospheric entry, for further example, a more 'pulse-pounding' experience. The number of Kerbals in the craft could also affect the volume and tempo, with jerk (change in acceleration) so triggering stringed instruments of such volume, tempo, and pitch as to evoke terror; e.g., cacaphonic wailing of all strings when a station is struck.

Sufficient artificial intelligence could enable the playing of recognizable tracks during such events as launch, atmospheric entry, and soft landing. Launch could trigger a soft, steady crescendo triumphantly climaxing at stable orbit and decrescendoing into peaceful music thereafter. Atmospheric entry--or even its approach--could trigger a foreboding, hastening, loudening series of booms accompanied by woodwind squeals becoming ever-more coherent and climaxing at peak g-load. The game could even play loops foreshadowing what it believes will happen; e.g., a craft hurtling to its doom with crew aboard could trigger sad music, and saving the craft could trigger relieving music.

-Duxwing

I remember my beloved Civ4, where I could choose any directory as the games music directory. that way the devs don't have to add music themselves and worry about copyright or stuff.

one question: can I deactivate the music completely, instead of just muting it? this could help a bit with performance!

I remember my beloved Civ4, where I could choose any directory as the games music directory.

Yep, I'd love to see that in KSP.

that way the devs don't have to add music themselves and worry about copyright or stuff.

It's like saying that if KSP supports mods: devs don't have to add any content to the game at all.

one question: can I deactivate the music completely, instead of just muting it? this could help a bit with performance!

Performance impact from playing the music is impossible to measure. It's one of the cheapest and easiest things for a computer to do.

Honestly, I don't care as I disabled the music after a month or so of playing. It wasn't bad and fit the space theme, but the soundtrack isn't exactly long and having Winamp or Youtube open in the background doesn't eat enough processor power to be impractical :P

I am for the addition of more music tracks into the game. Having some space tunes that play averywhere except inside Kerbin's atmosphere is sort of pathetic and sad :(

I mean, you get your VAB/SPH music, your title screen music, and the birds tweeting in the space center screen (which is a bit weird since you don't see any...)

But after you leave Kerbin's atmosphere at 70 kilometres above sea level... that's it. The same tracks repeat and cycle to the point where you just mute the darn thing. I'm fine if, while in space, you get that music and nothing more. But it bugs me that there's no music for the Mun's SOI, or Minmus's, or Duna's, or... you got the idea.

I just hope that, before the final release, more music gets added, preferably specific tracks for each planet/moon's SOI. That'd be amazing :)

I am for the addition of more music tracks into the game. Having some space tunes that play averywhere except inside Kerbin's atmosphere is sort of pathetic and sad :(

I mean, you get your VAB/SPH music, your title screen music, and the birds tweeting in the space center screen (which is a bit weird since you don't see any...)

But after you leave Kerbin's atmosphere at 70 kilometres above sea level... that's it. The same tracks repeat and cycle to the point where you just mute the darn thing. I'm fine if, while in space, you get that music and nothing more. But it bugs me that there's no music for the Mun's SOI, or Minmus's, or Duna's, or... you got the idea.

I just hope that, before the final release, more music gets added, preferably specific tracks for each planet/moon's SOI. That'd be amazing :)

They don't even need to add tracks, they just need to put the code in so we have folders for each SOI, with the default music in each one, which anyone can replace.

They don't even need to add tracks, they just need to put the code in so we have folders for each SOI, with the default music in each one, which anyone can replace.

Yeah, that would work too. But as you said, Squad has to put the code in first...

We all know how many times they've taken and implemented into the game something suggested here by the community...

Do you consider functionality being added via a mod as being equivalent to a suggestion?

Because there have been a few cases like sub-assemblies, and multiplayer where functionality added by a mod later turns up as a stock feature.

Seriously, having a suggestions forum is a good idea.

You know what would be really awesome is if CCP liked the game enough that they lent them some tunes. Whether through a route like that or more Kevin McLeod numbers, more music is definitely needed. What I'd really like is if every SOI had about forty minutes of music to it. That way, you could create a gaming atmosphere to match the mood of every planet, and the track would give you a feel for where you are in the solar system and also would make every SOI feel like a place, instead of just another spot in space.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.