Stock crane

Clampotron Jrs end to end.

Less than an hour after my operatives obtained this video and I've got a proto on the test stand. Isn't industrial espionage great! I feel kinda dirty tho.. Why the heck didn't I think of that.

Oh well. Wait 'till the boys at mission control see this thing. Boys??.. Boys? You there??

Well, they'll be along shortly.

I build a simpler one - Just used Small Gear Bays to lower my crane on a cargo instead of some large rocket mounted on indestructible flexible docking ports... his way feels way too much like exploiting a broken game mechanic (docks should fall apart when too much force is applied, they shouldn't turn into a rubber).

Yea, sure, my method requires much more precision and cargo always needs to have a docking port in the same height - never the less: it works fine :)

I build a simpler one - Just used Small Gear Bays to lower my crane on a cargo instead of some large rocket mounted on indestructible flexible docking ports... his way feels way too much like exploiting a broken game mechanic (docks should fall apart when too much force is applied, they shouldn't turn into a rubber).

Yea, sure, my method requires much more precision and cargo always needs to have a docking port in the same height - never the less: it works fine :)

But I can see this thing being scaled up to accommodate planes... especially once 0.24 comes around. The only trick is making sure you grab it at the center of mass.

Meh, KSP is built on the idea of exploiting parts in a manner that they weren't originally intended to be used for. In the same way that the docks aren't exactly meant for this purpose, I doubt the small gear bays were meant for crane purposes ether. Is the physics resulting from the idea slightly broken? sure but a lot of the physics in KSP are broken (flying box planes anyone?), and the limited part options kind of force us to get creative when looking for ways to solve problems. Ideally we would all have very realistic 6 story tower cranes next to our assembly area's, but we don't have the kind of parts we need to make that work so these tricks are what evolve as a result. Each just as interesting as the next.

KSP is about solving problems and finding creative solutions that shouldn't work but do... and in the process blowing up a ton of rockets.

I applaud this gentleman's efforts and the resulting slingshot builds that could also result from this.. should be fun to watch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.