A short open letter to the MOD community of KSP

smart013

Just wanted to say that i never ever benefited from modders more and with more gusto than in KSP. The quality, the ideas, the dedication to updates and mod-users is im my opinion second to none. I was always surprised when someone in other games did something that one couldnt honestly expect from a modder with his limited access to sourcecode and so on.

But when i encountered things like ATM from abray89, loadondemand from Faark (and everything else he did) or the ALCOR pod from alexustas it blew me away how MUCH it added to the raw playability of KSP. Or Fractal_UKs Interstellar Mod or TAC LS from TaranisElsu that integrates complete new (end)games into KSP and this way consumed loong weeks of gametime long after the "300t into orbit with stocks" autism challenges that for me gets boring really fast.

Really, where to stop praising? Infernal Robotics from Sirkut ... another complete new set of possibilities to waste tons of hours, and, as with the other examples, everything (mostly) is just working. How often can you say this in a professional developed game? And these are modder, and in my view some of the best i ever witnessed.

So, you guys, and people like TriggerAU (KAC), KospY (KAS ... maaan, how i love this mod), PeteTimesSix (Vesselview), technogeeky, DMagic and damny for ScanSAT, B9, K3|Chris (B9 iva extensions) and so on and so on... the list of not only great but execeptional great modders (even the ones i actively use right now is too long for a short open letter).

You are the salt of the mun ... thank you very much from a very happy Kerbal!

Indeed KSP is blessed with one of the best modding communities in gaming. It is a truly rare time if I ever have less than 40 folders within my GameData folder... >=)

Thx to all the modders out there -- I'm very excited to see all the mods we have grow and evolve with the game we all love; from .24 and beyond!

I am normally just a lurker, never really post; but this time I feel obligated to do so. I have used mods since I first discovered KSP, and after being spoiled to them I can't go back to stock. So thank you modders for making KSP awesome!

DR and FAR needs a special mention here, they totally changed how I play the game. I'm just shy of 2000 hours now, and those two mods have meant more to me than any other regarding the way I build my rockets and planes. Thanks!

Minecraft has a much more elaborate modding community, BUT this is the first game company I've seen that routinely accepts ideas from the modding community for the base game. So keep up all the good work Modders, your shaping the future of this game!

You can add Majiir to that list as well. The development he pushed having taken on Kethane (the map overlays in particular) are pro standard.

Mihara's work with RasterPropMonitor kinda blows me away as well, especially when combined with the ALCOR pod.

The mod community really takes the game to another level. I like to think that it's a byproduct of a game that appeals to the cerebral and creative!

Couldn't agree any more. Adding a big thank you in from me too.

Cannot wait for First Contract and all it's 64 bit glory, my recent pc upgrade, (and the 32 GB of 2133 MHz RAM I wasted money on), will finally allow me and my KSP to gorge on mods. I shall feast on as many parts, hi-res textures, instruments, add ons, heads, clouds, balloons, robotics, lights, suits and whatever other stuff I fancy.

My bulging steam screenshot folder will fatten anew with all of the glorious images I shall capture.

Modders, your time is coming. The past a mere shadow of the potential 64 bit KSP can become and you guys will be there, shining in the dark, a beacon for us all to follow. Grateful and in wonder of the treasures you leave in your wake.

o7

Edited by Monkeh

I'm in perfect agreement as well, and in the same boat as you Monkeh, mooooore!

There is one large company (Epic Games) who is embracing modding and I'm excited to see this kind of thing get back into AAA games (as it used to be!) - so many games come completely locked down these days, it sucks.

Basically their next Unreal Tournament game is going to be free, with the base game being made by them, but the content all being made by the community!

Cash flow will come in the form of end users selling their mods for small amounts and them taking a cut.

Could be nice days ahead for all games when it comes to modding if that succeeds as companies will start to open their games to it once again :)

Agree wholeheartedly. Mods made buying the game a no-brainer.

I was going to wait for a much more complete version before I realized the scope of things that mods added in.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.