long space walks

ohlookabirdie

what is the furthest you have traveled on EVA in space (excluding EVA landings on moons)

i recently did a 32km ship to ship space walk because i couldn't be bothered getting closer after the ships drifted apart on time warp and i realized i forgot to transfer crew :P

I went down to minmus and came back.

Arriving, Desney put the ship in a 6km orbit but realized it was too low to be safe so moved it to 11km.

99bzTOV.jpg

Chasnie then decided to EVA to the surface. This was highly dangerous; no Zokesian kerbal had ever made the trip and survived (RIP Langley Kerman, 11-21-2013)

wPUSwPj.png

It was a bouncy landing... with exactly 50% fuel remaining.

KfPFo84.png

He planted the flag and took a surface sample. Does not taste like cheese.

ZliBrEZ.png

His ascent took him into a nice orbit, but he ran out of fuel just as he was coasting to the ladder. Desney's superb piloting skills saved the day as he backed up the Warspite and Chasnie was able to drift to the ladder. Safe and sound!

DTJjGwR.jpg

So, my longest spacewalk, not counting my longest spacewalk :-p

Well, about 4 km I think - 2 each way - , when a ship was about to depart for interplanetary space and I realised I'd forgotten to take the Kerbin orbit science out. Just for fun I decided to do the return leg purely visual, hitting F2 to remove all instruments.

5km or so is my longest spacewalk... never had a need to move between ships further apart than that.

I did a 76km EVA flight across the surface of the Mun, though, from a crashed lander to an off-target rescue craft. If anything, I think that's a greater feat than a spacewalk across a similar distance, since I had to estimate a high ballistic arc to lob him into, or I would have run out of fuel trying to maintain a low altitude. Made it inside with like 4% fuel for the jets remaining.

Not a landing, but more than a few times I've run out of fuel when trying to get back to orbit around the Mun or Minmus and have had to bail out.

Then fly back via jetpack, just try to land your Kerbals on their heads :)

When I was testing out my Moho lander, Jeb did several orbits of the Mun on EVA.

I landed on the Mun, took off in a tiny ion thing, attempted to rendez-vous with the rest of the ship which was still in orbit to get on a slightly bigger ion thing, detach from that, and go home. Unfortunately, when I exited the command seat, he started spinning uncontrollably for no reason. To get him to stop I had to hit him, except it's really hard to hit someone while in low munar orbit on the dark side of the moon, so I kept attempting to hit him on the light side, then getting to the dark side and having to wait for the light and restarting.

Switching ships in the actual moho-landing went completely fine.

If we talk about EVAs without the help of a rover, I guess it was around 10 km far away on Mun and 10km back, which took me about an hour, because the jetpack fuel wasn´t sufficient. So a total of 20km.

If we include EVAs via Rover, it may be double or triple the distance ... IIRC the longest must have been 20-30km to and 20-30 km back via rover, so 40-60km in total

Halfway from Moho. or inside Eve Orbit to LKO.

Moho mission run out of fuel during midway correction burn with 200 m/s left.

I did an Eva with both Kerbals and used the jetpacks for the rest of the correction burn and aerobraked them into a Kerbin orbit where I sent a ship to rescue them.

I once had to spacewalk 2 out of 3 kerbals each about 60 km across some goofy highly eliptical orbits around Kerbin on a goofy rescue mission (that also didn't bring enough fuel). It took a LOT of play time. I think I launched a second, better fueled rescue for the last guy.

I once accidentally not enough fuel on my mun lander, crashed the rocket, but was able to save the pilot by getting on the ladder and jumping off at the last second. the pilot bounced, high enough to use the rcs thrusters to circularise

Like shows like Star Trek and Firefly?

Talk about the opposite ends of the spectrum.

I like both. I also created the Firefly mod for Orbitersim so I lean towards Firefly more than Trek but I also did a few Trek type mods for Orbitersim. The "Sidney" comes to mind.

My furthest spacewalk, roughly 7km. I needed to add one more member to my crew list to pilot the rover on the Mun. I don't tend to take off with EVA seats loaded, but I realized all too late that with 3 men in the crew pod, I needed to move two to Science Bay (forgot to load it out first) and that meant I needed one to stay with the ship. Insurance policy, after all. You don't crash and kill your pilot when you're driving across the Mun.

Well, I got as close as I can (I'm really bad at orbital rendezvous, despite being able to make it to other planets easily enough...) and just sent Neilgas Kerman across the 7km gap to sit in the rover seat the whole way to the Mun.

That mission ended well. Neilgas and the Rover were separated first, and they landed softly in the East Farside Crater (according to the Biome name I got from the EVA report). I sent down the ship with the Science Module, designed as the first available Mun base I'd made in that career save. I left a probe satellite in orbit, in accordance with my own rules regarding long-duration Kerballed missions (at least one comsat in orbit, preferably modern. A comsat must have one 88-88 dish antenna, a DTS flat-folding antenna, and a Communotron, minimum, and cannot be allowed to run out of power at any time during the mission.)

------

My second longest space walk was Jeb pushing his capsule retrograde to make a 100km orbit a re-entry. 3km of nudging and pushing, followed by resolutely crawling back inside and waiting to try some more (a rule I use to discourage 'get out and push' as well as infinite EVA fuel is that 5 minutes must pass between EVA fuel depletions. This is to allow the onboard compressors in the capsule to compress the gasses Kerbals exhale into a usable fuel. It is also to allow a Kerbal to unwind and relieve stress so that they don't become a puff of smoke out of frustration.) Then there was a 1km final burn on that walk to reach atmo. I was in the capsule then, but it still took 4 orbits to fall into the atmosphere enough to re-enter.

Needless to say, I over-engineer my fuel budgets now. At least 10% more than the mission requires.

I left Bill outside on a return from Duna. He clung to the rail all teh way to kerbin atmo. I only noticed him when the strange heating effects made me look to see what was causing them.

I dunno, hundred million kms? Not really a space walk though, he jsut happened to outside for the entire trip :D

A few kilometres, had to evacuate the crew of a craft with empty tanks - it also saved the trouble of around 1000 parts inside the "physics cube of space".

KAC helped a lot, as I could adjust my trajectory in EVA by watching the closest approach alarm. :D

Addendum (to my last posting about EVAs on Mun):

I just remember that one of my Kerbals (I think it was Bob) already made a longer spacewalk than the EVAs on Mun.

It was a little bit more than a full orbit around Mun.

The reason for this was a bad construction of the ladders and exteriors of the capsule for my spaceship.

I did an EVA in lower munar orbit in order to get science points above one biome when Bob slowly slid from the ladder of the spaceship.

At this time I still thought it wouldn´t be dramatic as it was still several minutes till the terminator and therefore the spaceship was in full sunlight (I should mention that it was a one Kerbal capsule, so I didn´t have access to the ship with Bob, as only crewmember being outside).

Well, I made several attempts at getting hold of the ladder and each time I wasn´t able to grab it (or directly enter the c aspsule) ... then, when the terminator came, I had a slight problem, as the last attempt had led me drift some distance away from the spaceship ... so I decided to wait till the orbit would get Bob and the spaceship into sunlight again, as I wasn´t able to locate the ship (which also didn´t have exterior lights).

Well, when sunlight came, I spend 10 minutes or more trying to locate the ship, as it was so far away, that it was only a tiny speck (which I only was able to locate when it was flying in front of Kerbin).

I then spent almost the full sunlight period (before reaching the Terminator again) aligning my owb orbit to that of the ship and finally getting into the ship.

I never felt so alone during a spacewalk as during this time (especially as I was playing with TAC liefesupport, meaning that the supplies of O2, Food, Water and electricity (to heat) of my Kerbals spacesuit were extremly limited (and a rescue mission from Kerbin therefore not possible). Hadn´t I reached the ship before my RCS fuel ran out, Bob would surely have been dead.

This experience has taught me, to first test the ladders of every spaceship on Kerbin launchpad ... and to include extensive exterior lighting for every ship (so that it is still visible for Kerbals on the nightside of a planet/moon)

Edited by Godot

Addendum (to my last posting about EVAs on Mun):

I just remember that one of my Kerbals (I think it was Bob) already made a longer spacewalk than the EVAs on Mun.

It was a little bit more than a full orbit around Mun.

The reason for this was a bad construction of the ladders and exteriors of the capsule for my spaceship.

I did an EVA in lower munar orbit in order to get science points above one biome when Bob slowly slid from the ladder of the spaceship.

At this time I still thought it wouldn´t be dramatic as it was still several minutes till the terminator and therefore the spaceship was in full sunlight (I should mention that it was a one Kerbal capsule, so I didn´t have access to the ship with Bob, as only crewmember being outside).

Well, I made several attempts at getting hold of the ladder and each time I wasn´t able to grab it (or directly enter the c aspsule) ... then, when the terminator came, I had a slight problem, as the last attempt had led me drift some distance away from the spaceship ... so I decided to wait till the orbit would get Bob and the spaceship into sunlight again, as I wasn´t able to locate the ship (which also didn´t have exterior lights).

Well, when sunlight came, I spend 10 minutes or more trying to locate the ship, as it was so far away, that it was only a tiny speck (which I only was able to locate when it was flying in front of Kerbin).

I then spent almost the full sunlight period (before reaching the Terminator again) aligning my owb orbit to that of the ship and finally getting into the ship.

I never felt so alone during a spacewalk as during this time (especially as I was playing with TAC liefesupport, meaning that the supplies of O2, Food, Water and electricity (to heat) of my Kerbals spacesuit were extremly limited (and a rescue mission from Kerbin therefore not possible). Hadn´t I reached the ship before my RCS fuel ran out, Bob would surely have been dead.

This experience has taught me, to first test the ladders of every spaceship on Kerbin launchpad ... and to include extensive exterior lighting for every ship (so that it is still visible for Kerbals on the nightside of a planet/moon)

What about using the EVA suit lights?

If we count rovers then about 60km and 60km back on Mun, which was a horrifying experience even though the rover was build very soundly (two sets of wheels in case it flipped, which it did, a lot).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.