Hi, It would be nice to have in the science/utility tab, a camera which allow us to take picture or just zoom in while orbiting a planet. It will allow the player to choose a safe landing zone or just looking for fun/interesting places to see. Taking picture while having a low orbit on the hidden face could get few science point either for exemple

How strange I was just about to suggest a very similar thing. I saw a report on New Horizons and read this

`Months before we get to that closest approach, we'll start getting the best images of Pluto we've ever seen. So far, the best Pluto pictures are from the Hubble Telescope. By May of next year, New Horizons will be sending home better images.

Stern says, "We actually call that our BTH date  Better Than Hubble."`

So I wanted to suggest that when we get ground based telescopes they should only do so much. Space telescopes should do more (and allow us at least to Dres and Moho accurately) but we should have to send a probe with a telescope to the outer planets to get good images of them. It seems that getting into the SOI on a flyby would be good enough.

So when we have to use telescopes to narrow down orbit data we should have to send a probe to the outer planets in addition and only have a vague idea of where the planet is until that point.

Scansat kind of covers this role right now, but I wouldn't mind the introduction of a camera system.

I have just tested Scansat, so far it seems a good mod with lots of info and a cool map :)

here's what the mod does according to the dwl page :

RADAR Altimetry Sensor : The basic RADAR scanner. This part will create a quick, but low resolution altimetry scan in black and white. This will also detect slope angle. Works from 5km out to 500km.

SAR Altimetry Sensor : Similar to the basic RADAR, but scans at a higher resolution. Requires a higher altitude than the basic RADAR scan. Works best out at 750km.

Multispectral Sensor : This sensor can detect the type of biome and can also detect anomalies. Works best around 250Km.

Been There Done That®: This is different to the other scanners as it only works within 2000m. It will identify nearby anomalies. Works well on a rover or plane.

MapTraq®: MapTraq, isn't a scanner, it just allows you to display the results of other scans. Useful if you need to navigate your rover on a body that you've already scanned.

source : http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entries/1103-Using-SCANSat

So there is not really a camera, i mean you can't select one of those and just zoom in like a crazy where you want. So it's probably the closest mod there is but no camera.

Mounting a lens on a spaceship and to be able to select it, go into a "first person" view and just aim where you want and zoom like 500x or more would be very nice :cool:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.