[1.4] Routine Mission Manager [v032]

PrivateFlip

Does this mod work with mods that alter construction like Kerbal Construction Time?

What about life support mods like Interstellar Flight Inc. Life Support?

There shouldn't be a problem apart from the ships ordered though this won't have the KCT construction system wouldn't be applied in much the same way as ships made with Extra-planetary Launchpads don't.

No clue on IFI-LS, but if it's like TAC-LS everything should still apply so any manned ships should have some supplies :)

Does this thing dock the ship only on the same docking port while tracking or does it choose any free docking port on the station? I'm just wondering if I need to keep a docking port free for refueling missions all the time or if I could extend the station and add new docking ports without any problems

Oh god this was the mod i didn't know i knew. Just wanted to say, fantastic job, great idea and incredibly smooth simple implementation Flip, keep it up! If nothing else, just keep the mod updated or else get squad to pick it up because ho man, i can already tell i wont be able to live without this one!

There shouldn't be a problem apart from the ships ordered though this won't have the KCT construction system wouldn't be applied in much the same way as ships made with Extra-planetary Launchpads don't.

No clue on IFI-LS, but if it's like TAC-LS everything should still apply so any manned ships should have some supplies :)

For balancing against KCT, it wouldn't hurt to be able to configure lead time for missions on top of the recorded mission time, with the option to pay extra for a rush launch.

Does this thing dock the ship only on the same docking port while tracking or does it choose any free docking port on the station? I'm just wondering if I need to keep a docking port free for refueling missions all the time or if I could extend the station and add new docking ports without any problems

This.

I would also like to know what the deal is on this front. I have a few ships that I use to resupply my station, but I don't/can't always use the same docking port for the missions.

Can someone make a video documenting this mod and it's features? I kinda sorta maybe half think I know what this mod is but i'm not sure XD

You can fly your supply mission to a station. The one you always do when you need to refuel your duna express docked there / resupply your orbital shipyard with "ship components" / up the oxygen supply for you life support mod.

Only this time you click a button just before launch which makes sure your mission is being tracked. After completing the mission you can open a menu at your station and re-order the flight. When you later return to the station you will find the exact same supply ship as the one you flew, with the same supplies, docked at your station without you needing to fly it again. That's all.

This.

I would also like to know what the deal is on this front. I have a few ships that I use to resupply my station, but I don't/can't always use the same docking port for the missions.

You can order the repeat mission to any docking port on the station or any other station in orbit, assuming the other station orbit is not a whole lot higher.

If the docking port becomes occupied in the meantime, the ship will just rendezvous nearby and you can dock it yourself to a free docking port.

Looks like a very useful mod. Is it possible to have a ship run back and forth between two bases?

No, only launchpad to station and the return back to kerbin.

You can order the repeat mission to any docking port on the station or any other station in orbit, assuming the other station orbit is not a whole lot higher.

If the docking port becomes occupied in the meantime, the ship will just rendezvous nearby and you can dock it yourself to a free docking port.

i was wondering how this worked with stations in lower orbits? like if i did the tracking mission to a station in a 10,000 km, could i send a resupply mission to a different station in a 300 km orbit? im assuming it would use the same amount of fuel so it would be less efficient.

so will it work with ground base vehicles such as rovers on kerbin? i would also like to be able to have a ship run back and forth between two bases

No, unfortunatly not. This mod is really limited to flights from the launchpad ending in a docking action to something in orbit.

i was wondering how this worked with stations in lower orbits? like if i did the tracking mission to a station in a 10,000 km, could i send a resupply mission to a different station in a 300 km orbit? im assuming it would use the same amount of fuel so it would be less efficient.

It would work, but would indeed require the same amount of fuel so it would be more economic to fly a separate mission again for the lower orbit.

I realize it is in some way unrealistic, but it is just not feasible for me to adjust the amount of fuel left over based on the orbit reached. Although some delta-v based adjustments could be made it would require a significant amount of extra logic; logic which would likely break when used in combination with other mods, fuels and what not.

FYI - you have bundled an old version of ModuleManager.dll inside your mod's directory. It should be in the GameData directory of your download if it's required (and the most recent is 2.5.6, I think).

Thank you for reporting this. Module manager seems to be extremely relaxed when it comes to this, but I agree having one version of module manager on one location is cleaner. I'll look into this for the next version.

After completion the mission vehicle will be found docked on the station or vessel.

Will there actually be a flying vessel that makes a rendezvous or will it "spanw into the docking port"?

How safe is it atm for career saves? Any known ways of fu**cking up a save?

'cause sounds very interesting but wanna end my career too :D

After recording mission I've ordered my shuttle to automatically dock with space station. After warping one and half kerbal-day I've end up with over 400 active flights called "AdministrativeDockingName" and I'm unable to fly the space station anymore. Actually it broke my save. I've got now about 0,5 FPS in map view.

Idea is brilliant, I will definitely try this mod in the future, when there will be no bugs, but for now I'll pass.

After recording mission I've ordered my shuttle to automatically dock with space station. After warping one and half kerbal-day I've end up with over 400 active flights called "AdministrativeDockingName" and I'm unable to fly the space station anymore. Actually it broke my save. I've got now about 0,5 FPS in map view.

Idea is brilliant, I will definitely try this mod in the future, when there will be no bugs, but for now I'll pass.

I really tested it a lot so I'm not sure what happened. Will look into this.

Thank you for reporting this.

This is exactly what I've wanted for so long. It'll make Karbonite bases so much easier!

Aww, after reading the thread I see

Looks like a very useful mod. Is it possible to have a ship run back and forth between two bases?
No, only launchpad to station and the return back to kerbin.

Sadly that's exactly what I'd use this mod for, looping from a Karbonite ground station to an orbiting fuel depot.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Update

Based on Skippero report, I've added a bunch of safeties which should reduce the impact of a similar mishap to merely the ship not docking, instead of keep on spawning vessels. Unfortunately I could not reproduce the bug and I do not know what caused it in the first place and could therefore not make a true fix.

I'll take a fresh look at this tomorrow.

EDIT (03-01-2015 04:26): With some help of Skippero it seems the latest version (004) does indeed prevent countless of vessels of spawning. A singe ship spawns, which fails to dock and is misplaced in orbit, but does not seem to break the save. Skippero has provide me with a save to further investigate the issue.

Edited by PrivateFlip

This is exactly what I've wanted for so long. It'll make Karbonite bases so much easier!

Aww, after reading the thread I see

Sadly that's exactly what I'd use this mod for, looping from a Karbonite ground station to an orbiting fuel depot.

If you download the mks/oks mod also by rover you get a logistics hub that allows resource transfer between ships and bases in the same soi

I confess right away: I haven't read the whole thread :blush:

Plus: I may very well have understood something wrong, but here are my problems:

• The 'icon' in the toolbar is just a plain white square, is that intended?
  • Is there an option to stop tracking in case you (read: I) mess something up? Situation: I tracked a mission to my big orbital station. Didn't understand the return mission concept exactly and wanted just to delete the tug which carried up the exchangeable fuel tank module. So I undocked it and smashed it into Kerbin (with the mission docking port staying on the station, because I didn't understand what I'm supposed to do). Once I returned to the station it still showed the mission as tracking and my station was loosing height fast (without any engines on board and rcs off) down from 300 km until it became suborbital in about 30secs. While I was still panicing it relieved me by krakening up to insane velocities and decomposing into its parts. So now my station is a debris cloud thanks to my own incompetence. Anyway, a "stop the tracking because I did something stupid" option would be nice :)
  • It would be nice to tell the program something like "everything beyond this docking port or decoupler should be removed automatically" to avoid loading and dealing with those useless tugs I only deorbit anyway

I used a custom module to automatically resupply a vessel parked at KSC in combination with the MKS/OKS logistic base so far, but your approach is more flexible and more realistic, I like it!

I confess right away: I haven't read the whole thread :blush:

Plus: I may very well have understood something wrong, but here are my problems:

[*]The 'icon' in the toolbar is just a plain white square, is that intended?

Eh no, in my version it is a lightgray square with the letters rm2 on it. Just checked if the download version also has this texture, which it does. Will look into this.

[*]Is there an option to stop tracking in case you (read: I) mess something up? Situation: I tracked a mission to my big orbital station. Didn't understand the return mission concept exactly and wanted just to delete the tug which carried up the exchangeable fuel tank module. So I undocked it and smashed it into Kerbin (with the mission docking port staying on the station, because I didn't understand what I'm supposed to do). Once I returned to the station it still showed the mission as tracking and my station was loosing height fast (without any engines on board and rcs off) down from 300 km until it became suborbital in about 30secs. While I was still panicing it relieved me by krakening up to insane velocities and decomposing into its parts. So now my station is a debris cloud thanks to my own incompetence. Anyway, a "stop the tracking because I did something stupid" option would be nice :)

Just to be clear, if this mod does lead to some kraken event by you doing things the 'incorrectly', this is in no way your incompetence but a mayor flaw in the mod. If you do things incorrectly is should just not work and not blow up your station. That said, I replayed the mission as you described, but wasn't able to reproduce the outcome you had. The mod does not allow me to only return a part of the vehicle and attempting to do so does kind of mess up the tracking logic.

(made a fix for the next version which should prevent tracking to engage if only a part of the vehicle is undocked)

As to the kraken event; opposed to the logic which brings the vessel to the station after ordering a mission, the tracking logic does not "do" anything to the game itself, so for now i find it hard to place this bug. Skipperro bug was also strange, but I can to some extend imagine something going wrong at some point and leading to the described outcome. Had you maybe ordered a mission when you returned to your station? Either way, would be willing to pm me a savefile, preferably just before switching to the station.

[*]It would be nice to tell the program something like "everything beyond this docking port or decoupler should be removed automatically" to avoid loading and dealing with those useless tugs I only deorbit anyway

For future versions I might expand functionality to allow what you attempted to do.

I used a custom module to automatically resupply a vessel parked at KSC in combination with the MKS/OKS logistic base so far, but your approach is more flexible and more realistic, I like it!

Glad you liked it despite the problems so far!

Edited by PrivateFlip

Update

-added a delete button to delete obsolete missions

-added a ability to stop tracking. Will stop tracking indefinitely for this mission.

-added a great number of checks surrounding the tracking of missions. The new checks prevents loopholes for a player to fuel up vessels but more importantly it prevents players taking action which the tracking logic can not handle or the repeat mission logic can mimic.

-made a potential fix for the bug experienced by Skipperro and have made a request to Skipperro to test it.

Eh no, in my version it is a lightgray square with the letters rm2 on it. Just checked if the download version also has this texture, which it does. Will look into this.

Pulled the latest version from CKAN and still the same. I made you a screenshot.

As to the kraken event; opposed to the logic which brings the vessel to the station after ordering a mission, the tracking logic does not "do" anything to the game itself, so for now i find it hard to place this bug. Skipperro bug was also strange, but I can to some extend imagine something going wrong at some point and leading to the described outcome. Had you maybe ordered a mission when you returned to your station? Either way, would be willing to pm me a savefile, preferably just before switching to the station.

Ooh, I'm so sorry I didn't update you. It seems I have a general bug going on since everything I put in kerbin orbit krakens away now. It seems to just have happened for the first time after I tried the mission tracking, but that's no indication for a problem with your mod.

Glad you liked it despite the problems so far!

I do! And thanks for the 'panic button' :wink:

I may still be doing something wrong, though.

Here's what I tried:

1. I buildt a vessel with a docking port
  2. Prepared for launch
  3. Activated tracking
  4. Flew the mission to my Mun station (according to the OP orbits around Kerbin's moons are supported, yes?)
  5. Docked (tracking was updated, so the docking seemed to be recognised)
  6. Opted to track a return mission
  7. Reentry-tracking Info showed up during reentry
  8. Landing-tracking Info showed up after landing
  9. Recovered the vessel
  10. Switched back to my station
  11. Registered a docking port
  12. Don't have any missions available (list is empty)

I uploaded you the mission folder created during the mission.

Sorry for the trouble, I really hope to finally get it working :)

EDIT:

I tried again with the 006 version and only in Kerbin orbit.

All tracking messages appear as expected, however, I still can't select the mission at the stations (registered) docking port. But this time at least the MaxOrbitAltitude value is not 0.

I uploaded the mission files for this second one as well.

Edited by marce

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.