I accidently loaded up a previous QUICK save, how do I load up my last AUTO save?

All saves are stored in the same folder in your KSP directory.

The "auto save" continously overwrites the file called "persistence.sfs".

Quicksaves overwrite the file called "quicksave.sfs"

Your only hope right now is to alt-F4 out of the game, causing it to shut down without writing to the persistence.sfs file... because once it's written to the persistence.sfs file your auto-save will be at a point after your quicksave. Note that if you go back to the space center the persistence file gets updated, which is why you have to exit using alt-F4. Then when you restart the game it will automatically load up based on the persistence.sfs file.

Unfortunately if you're here on the forum you've probably missed this opportunity, but it might be useful at a later time.

• 1 year later...
I loaded up a quick save (F5 & F9), and I didn't want to do that, so how do I now load up my last in game AUTO save?

Just lost a ridiculous amount of time in KSP.

This isnt an uncommon occurrence, and personally i think really needs a fix. Yes this is how quicksave works, but to do this after hours of playing thinking u had done a more recent quicksave is ridiculously unforgiving and really unfriendly to the user.

you're not alone DucharmeHD, I've logged over 1200 hours to KSP, and this still happens to me once in a blue moon :T. Link

So that people are aware, the game does an auto-save as soon as you've loaded up the in-flight screen (such as from a quickload). So if you quickload and find yourself at a vessel, the game has just saved over the persistence.sfs.

Cheers,

~Claw

• 6 months later...
On 2/9/2016 at 10:21 AM, nandhii said:

seriously :/ and it's possible to make a mod that would autosave every x time without overwriting them always oO??

Sure it's possible.  I just did a quick search for "save" on <defunct website> and turned up Automated Screenshots and Saves (which can be set up to automatically do a save at intervals), and also Dated QuickSaves, which puts a timestamp in the file name of F5 quicksaves, so that if you get in the habit of pressing F5 from time to time, it'll make a new save each time without overwriting the old one.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are also other mods that do similar things.

My own solution to this problem is to be in the habit of using Alt+F5 a lot, and I have a set of specifically-named quicksaves that I use in certain standard situations, like "launch", "ascent", "descent", "reentry", etc.  I do a save before I do something risky or failure-prone.  Works well enough for me, I've never lost a lot of KSP progress.

Edited by Snark
Removed link to now-defunct mod hosting site that is now a malware site

thanks i will try 

On 9/2/2016 at 8:03 PM, Snark said:

Sure it's possible.  I just did a quick search for "save" on KerbalStuff and turned up Automated Screenshots and Saves (which can be set up to automatically do a save at intervals), and also Dated QuickSaves, which puts a timestamp in the file name of F5 quicksaves, so that if you get in the habit of pressing F5 from time to time, it'll make a new save each time without overwriting the old one.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are also other mods that do similar things.

My own solution to this problem is to be in the habit of using Alt+F5 a lot, and I have a set of specifically-named quicksaves that I use in certain standard situations, like "launch", "ascent", "descent", "reentry", etc.  I do a save before I do something risky or failure-prone.  Works well enough for me, I've never lost a lot of KSP progress.

thanks for your reply, i didnt know for alt+F5:) i will use it now i was only use F5 for quick save and i try it and yes it s really better for making quicksave! so thanks it will be enough i think ^^ 

• 3 years later...

Under   C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\saves\My Game  there is a folder called "Backup".

Take the version you want, and put it back in the main folder (saves\My Game) and rename it to "persistent.sfs"

That's it! Your save has been saved.

Just saved me 4 tricky hours.

Edited by _pilgrim

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Jeerrrsh said:

This just happened to me. Lost several hours of somewhat grindy science missions. That's it for me unfortunately, once a game gets tedious like this I move on.

The game now keeps auto saves in a "Backup" directory. You can just copy the save file out and start running again. You haven't lost your grindy science. And you can adjust your settings to make things less tedious. Or just play in Sandbox mode, and make up your own story.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.