Discussion about the Mk.3 aircraft parts

Merged the two (practically identical) threads, keeping the more optimistic title. :wink:

Folks, please use the Search before posting (or just have a quick glance at the forum, in this case). No need for more than one thread at a time on exactly the same topic.

My opinion. Scrap the entire current mk 3 system and make it bigger(big enough for it to hold 2.5m parts), rounder, and make it look more like the space shuttle. We should get the following parts.

- A new 3-5 kerbal cockpit

- A mk3 hitchhiker airline like kerbal holder

- A extendable cargo bay that can hold 2.5m parts

- liquid fuel, and liquid/oxidizer tanks

- new giant "space shuttle like" wings

- a bunch of adapters

- a buran and shuttle like engine adapter as well as a mk3 to 2.5 engine adapter (all adapters should be short)

- tillable engines (shuttle like)

My opinion. Scrap the entire current mk 3 system and make it bigger(big enough for it to hold 2.5m parts), rounder, and make it look more like the space shuttle. We should get the following parts.

- A new 3-5 kerbal cockpit

- A mk3 hitchhiker airline like kerbal holder

- A extendable cargo bay that can hold 2.5m parts

- liquid fuel, and liquid/oxidizer tanks

- new giant "space shuttle like" wings

- a bunch of adapters

- a buran and shuttle like engine adapter as well as a mk3 to 2.5 engine adapter (all adapters should be short)

- tillable engines (shuttle like)

Wouldn't orbiting a gigantic shuttle like that from 2 stages need some 5m wide fuel tanks first?

Merged the two (practically identical) threads, keeping the more optimistic title. :wink:

Folks, please use the Search before posting (or just have a quick glance at the forum, in this case). No need for more than one thread at a time on exactly the same topic.

Make a better search engine, then we'll use it. Period.

On the topic of Mk3 system, that's not really a surprise. Let's see how long those parts will be place holders and the number of rocket parts we have increases with time.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: the Mk3 series would be better off scrapped completely and started again as a different line of parts/shape/idea. These are my reasons I currently find them useless:

• They are the most Shuttle shaped things, but the only fuel tank just holds liquid fuel so it's useless in space
  • The CoM is too low
  • The attach node is too low because
  • The only other parts that attach neatly to the cockpit are the fuel tank and the Mk2-3 adapter
  • If cargo bays were to ever become stock, you can't fit 2m parts in there (on the other hand, 1m parts would fit ok though, but on the other other hand, they also fit in the Mk2 shape, albeit with little room to spare)
  • There's no way to fit anything on the back end that still looks ok and that isn't the adapter
  • It has the most bizarre outline/silhouette
  • The IVA is worse than awful

Yes, the textures are also awful, but not as egregious as the above points.

I agree with this. Mk3 parts are useless, ugly, and should be redone if not scrapped entirely.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: the Mk3 series would be better off scrapped completely and started again as a different line of parts/shape/idea.

I have to agree. I thought it would be ok to just add oxidizer and cargo doors but now I'm not so sure.

they really need a complete redo with some new/extra adapters. that said I don't think they should be too "shuttley". they should still have a modular, multi-purpose feel.

some side mounted fuel tanks would be a good start, and some neat adapters would be good too.

Sal, are you confirming that the reworked Mk series pieces are coming in 0.24?

Define "reworked".

But... probably yes.

Though I think that what he wanted to point out is that there most likely won't be any new Mk parts. Just a changes and fixes to the existing parts.

Reworked: Changed, improved or modified.

I know Hugo has mentioned working on them in a few dev notes, but I took that to mean it was slated for a future release, not 0.24. Given that this is a highly requested change, it would be nice to know if it's in the upcoming update.

Sal_vager: Sorry to put you on the spot that way, I understand of course if you cannot say anything definitive.

I like to think this will come as part of the aerodynamics overhaul. I really like B9 but its a little overkill. Id love to see 3 series of space plane parts: Mk2, Mk3, each with cargo bays, LF, LFO and RCS sections, and a jumbo series capable of carrying 2.5m parts with some wiggle room for radial parts. Id also be pretty set with the KW fairings as-is.

A jumbo hangar bay (like the one from b9) is exactly what i would like to see. I dont know if the mk3 system should be expanded to full use since i dont realy see it fit onto big hangar parts and i dont hafe much need for anything smaller tbo.

The central part of a shuttle is the hangar. If squad decides to realy support this aspect of the game, this would be the part to design the rest around.

I am not sure how, or if big (which are still cute compared to real space shuttles) shuttle parts are kompatible with the current mk3 system.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.