dunna sstv theorys

megatiger78

ok so the basic idea appears to be that it was supposed to be part of a puzzle. apparently this may still be being worked on as a certain kerbal orbit the duna sstv signal may play. I guess this means that you are approaching the planet the duna alins came from (supposedly blasted into this orbit after trying to make interstellar travel

Edited by Claw
spelling for clarity

Megatiger78,

You might want to put in a little more information describing what you are talking about and what the SSTV theory is. Also, I'm not sure if "alins" is "aliens" (as in people from another planet).

Welcome to the forums! :)

-Claw

I'd like to see the somewhat creepy SSTV developed and enhanced a lot in the future, perhaps, as TechnicalK3rbal said, in the form of a future DLC?

A trail of clues left across the solar system for the player to decode, figure out, and perhaps discover the true nature of Kerbalkind :D

If it is done, I hope it has a dramatic, mystic, almost spooky feel through the unraveling of the mysteries!

I remember reading the doc by Nova in a thread about 6 months ago. It is something I find very intriguing. We have all these interesting easter eggs scattered about, but right now they are just eye candy and nice little personal achievements. It would be nice to see them developed and a back story, much like Nova's worked into the game. That way the player has a little something extra to explore and work towards.

Some of the easter eggs - the SSTV image in particular - are very mysterious, and it would be shame if they were left as nothing more than quirky sights to visit :D

The guy who made the image says it doesn't mean anything.

Having said that, SPOILER ALERT!

If you don't want to see the image, do not click the link...

http://i.imgur.com/IpHZC.jpg

My thoughts on it will be below in white text...

It bears a strong (I'm sure not unintentional) resemblance to the plaque we put on the Pioneer probes. I would imagine that it means what the pioneer plaques mean; each part corresponding to their counterpart.

The Martian sentient species has (or had) 4 distinct genders. I think this was the case in Heinlein's book "Red Planet" and may have been the inspiration. The vertical arrangement of dots says that They lived on the 3rd planet in the system. Maybe this means Kerbin, or maybe it means that Moho didn't exist back when this easter egg was made. The pyramid and beam would imply that this signal was being sent to Kerbin (blue dot the intended recipient).

The geometric figure would be a map of something. On the Pioneer, it's the map to find Sol from the center of the galaxy and known pulsars. What it was supposed to mean in the game... I think it was supposed to lead to a point on the surface of Duna where they lived. My guess is the big dot is Duna and the little dot is Ike. Handy because Ike is in a nearly perfect dunasynchronous orbit. If this is the case, there would be something 60* west of the latitude where Ike is directly overhead.

Best,

-Slashy

There was a thread once about the Duna SSTV signal (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60247-Duna-SSTV-transmission), and it has convinced me that we need more easter eggs. Someone said that the same signal is played when you reach 100,000 pentameters from the sun, resulting in the most epic story ever.

yeah I gues that could be the plantets orbit

ok guys, I just found another mission on steam. looks like visible from jools orbit is a star with some shape to it and a couple dots next to it. anyone want to go there? ill asked the taker of the picture f I can link to it

Novasilisko (aka: knova, he'd kill me for calling him this) was the one in charge of making the easter eggs back when the SSTV was implemented. However, he's not on the dev team anymore, so I doubt that anything got added to it. HOWEVER, he did give a hint, which was a picture of the Apollo plaque if I remember correctly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.