Abandon Your Saves

Sandworm

I see many people wanting Squad to do or not do something to protect past saves. Squad shouldn't care about anyone's saves. I am no fan of the "it's alpha" argument but we cannot ignore that this game is deep in development. Long-term decisions about the game's direction should not hinge on whether a particular change in a particular patch will break some saves. Career mode should, must, render all career saves practically unplayable. Do we really want Squad making any decisions on how contracts work in the future simply to preserve old saves today? What about a change to a key part? Does anyone really want to prevent a part being improved simply to preserve their precious space station?

The contracts system is forever. Your saves will be forgotten in a couple months at most. Abandon them now.

I happen to be enjoying the systems sans cash, I am hoping its an option for career mode at the very least.

That being said I wish I had a Nicole for ever time my save games have been lost on updates of RELEASED (if not alpha nor beta versions) of other games, so....

No

I never play career so this update (apart from 64 bit and the vernier engine) is *almost* pointless (don't yell at me for saying this as 64 bit is possibly the best thing squad has done since i got KSP in .18)

Edited by montyben101

I wont abandon anything if i dont need to.

I only take care of my kerbals and missions when a new release is coming up, so that it wont matter to start from scratch.

There was a large discussion if .23.5 would break saves due to implementation of the asteroids...

It did at first, but SQUAD managed to fix the problem within no-time. And that is how we know SQUAD. Unless there

is really no way, they will make the old saves compatible.

And if it does and you really dont want to test all the new game features... take hyperedit and your craft files and re-establish your

old game state...

I am looking forward to .24 in positive ways, as we get to play KSP like never before.

Considering I tend to start a new save whenever a new patch of KSP (or Minecraft) comes out whether or not it breaks my existing one, I'm in the "go ahead and break the saves" boat. I'd much rather have a snappy, well-polished final game than a rough-hewn attempt to make KSP infinitely backwards-compatible, because by the time 1.0 comes out, I'll be building much cooler things than I am now.

I don't think that the the developers should give any thought to preserving old saves. Doing so could well mean that the game has to be compromised and we will end up with a game that will be nowhere near as good as it could have been. What I do is that whenever a new version is released I make a complete new install just for that release and keep the previous one. If the old saves can be copied into the new release and found to work, well and good. If not, keep both versions. Disc space is dirt cheap these days.

If not, keep both versions. Disc space is dirt cheap these days.

That's one of the things I love best about KSP: it's amazingly free of bad practices with respect to installation (no fixed path, no registry crap, etc), so you can have as many copies as you like.

I have a 0.22 folder, a 0.23 folder, a pure-stock ARM, ARM-BTSM, ARM+KW/RLA/Goodspeed/etc, ARM+the previous+Interstellar, etc.

It's awesome!

I generally start a new career with every release, but I can maintain the old ones in older installation folders with no risk of compatibility problems if I so desire. Major thumbs up to Squad for that.

So I'm definitely on the 'trash saves' bandwagon.

That's one of the things I love best about KSP: it's amazingly free of bad practices with respect to installation (no fixed path, no registry crap, etc), so you can have as many copies as you like.

Agreed. I have four installations, Steampunk, FASA, 23.5 and ARM. When .24 is released I will have five.

Yes, since the game is still in development and adding content, this is the way to go. If it was after "release" (whatever that means with early access games like this) then I would say they shouldn't introduce any more save-breaking changes.

You'll always have sandbox mode, which is more or less immune to all the career mode changes they're implementing. I don't think sandbox saves will be broken, but even if they are I won't be too mad.

And if it's for the sake of a better game in the end, you can always hyperedit that cool space station back in to your new save, with improvements for the new update.

That being said I wish I had a Nicole for ever time my save games have been lost on updates of RELEASED (if not alpha nor beta versions) of other games, so....

Who is Nicole? And is she/he hot?

:P

Agreed. I have four installations, Steampunk, FASA, 23.5 and ARM. When .24 is released I will have five.

Steampunk? Google implies that would be "Professor Phineas Kerbenstein's wonderous vertical propulsion emporium".. ? It looks kinda neat, maybe I'll add another installation right now, thanks!

Steampunk? Google implies that would be "Professor Phineas Kerbenstein's wonderous vertical propulsion emporium".. ? It looks kinda neat, maybe I'll add another installation right now, thanks!

Correct, and its an absolute riot! A hilarious mod!

New version means a new save for me. When the .23.5 patch to fix the broken saves came out I was already well into my next tech tree :)

And I agree; the long term future of the game should not be made dependent on not breaking saves.

No. My save has been going since version 20. I will not throw away anything. I will edit segments if necessary, but have no intention to throw away everything I've slowly worked through.

I like the way they've handled things so far- if save breaking is necessary, pile everything that will break it into the one update.

As I'm big on the story forming and roleplay aspects, having an important save breaking is a big loss to me. As would be not continuing it with the new features an update brings.

The way saves are formated makes it not too hard to add new sections. Many mods do this when added. Only a radical overhaul of the whole system would lead to saves breaking beyond repair.

Edited by Tw1

I would rather not throw away my saves. Not everyone does the "new save for new version" thing. I personally am working through three major saves and I don't want to abandon any of them.

Here's what I have:

Ixnay-on-the-stupay: My 2nd save of the full version, active since ~November of 2013. I'm trying to conclude the save, mostly after learning so many things in the game and being "less stupid" (hence the game).

Catrific-goes-to-Eve: My 2nd or 3rd career mode save, focused around a kerballed-Eve-mission.

Project Colorado: My Interstellar career save. I've finished off the stock tech tree and I'm coming up with creative missions to get the thousands of science required for the advanced tech.

I'm not in any rush to upgrade to .24. 64-bit support on the mac would be wonderful, but that's not happening yet.

To be honest, I've been looking forward more to the preview videos than the update itself.

I just want to know if I can expect the game to break saves or not. If the devs are far enough into 0.24 that they can release experimentals to that group of testers, they know more than enough to say either:

"We don't expect 0.24 to break 0.23.5 saves, but this could change if major issues are found"

OR

"Expect 0.24 to break your saves"

Instead we get snide moderator comments about speculation.

*sigh* I really wish I could say I was surprised this is how SQUAD was handling the situation...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.