Will 64 bit allow for larger, higher part count ships?

montyben101

So what do you think? at the moment my ISS is getting larger and will keep growing for a while, the lag is getting much worse :( im just hoping 64 bit will make it better

Nope... At best there will be a tiny improvement. It will mainly help with situtation where you are low on ram like if you are using many mods.

The only solution right now is cutting down the part count by using the ubiozur welding mod.

I don't think it'll help lag; that's generally a result of the physics engine being single-threaded. What 64-bit does is let KSP address more memory and change how some floating-point calculations are done.

It will be exciting to see what the modding community can do with the 64-bit support, but you probably won't see a massive performance difference from what you have now unless you run with a lot of mods; even then, probably not more than a few frames-per-second (which i'll take!).

I don't think it'll help lag; that's generally a result of the physics engine being single-threaded. What 64-bit does is let KSP address more memory and change how some floating-point calculations are done.

Unity 5 will be multi-threaded though, so we just (hopefully) have to wait until fall

being on 64bit won't directly make things faster, it should make things more stable (especially for us mod addicts). It might cause some indirect speed improvements, ie the OS won't have to write things to your page file as much and there may be other advantages.

*pic-snip*

Thats very cool.

With performance defined as stuff done per unit of time;

64-bit may actually perform worse.

Much of your CPU's time is actually spent waiting for data, and when pointers are 8 bytes (64 bit) instead of 4 (32-bit) there's more data to load, and there's more data to fill cache - meaning fewer "items" can be held in cache.

The real advantage of 64-bit is, as has been pointed out, the ability to have more STUFF loaded in memory.

Like every parts pack ever created. At the same time.

being on 64bit won't directly make things faster, it should make things more stable (especially for us mod addicts). It might cause some indirect speed improvements, ie the OS won't have to write things to your page file as much and there may be other advantages.

It won't crash because it runs out of memory, but it's less stable in general -- this is specific to Unity, not inherent to 64-bit programs. Squad wasn't planning on releasing 64-bit, but forumites discovered a way to get it working-though-unstable, and Squad then decided enough people were willing to take the instability to run more mods, so they are releasing the things they've done to improve stability some. However, KSP 64-bit is not expected to be as stable as KSP 32-bit. It just doesn't have a memory limit.

It shouldn't reduce use of the page file at all; if anything, it'll increase how much it's used. Paging is used when programs collectively want to use more memory than the OS can put in physical RAM. When that happens, memory that hasn't been accessed in a while is swapped out to disk to free up physical memory, and is swapped back if needed. Switching to 64-bit increases KSP's virtual address space; it does not increase the amount of physical memory on your computer, nor does it increase KSP's priority for that memory. All it means is that KSP has a larger virtual address space; the kernel will still swap KSP's pages to disk if it can't fit them in physical memory, and a larger virtual address space makes it more likely it can't fit it in physical memory.

Multi-threading + 64-bit = Stable

For people with potatoes for computers this doesn't mean much but for people with super computers its a really good thing since it makes our machines look like garbage when its the games fault. Getting more RAM is a must if you plan on stacking those mods while you wait 10 years for the next update. Fish don't fry in the kitchen.

Edited by UbioZur
Vulgarity removed

Multi-threaded physics is not in 0.24. Nothing is multi-threaded that used to be single-threaded.

64-bit is expected to be less stable than 32-bit. The sole case where it's more stable is if 32-bit crashed due to excessive numbers of mods. It will likely have a higher number of glitches.

Multi-threaded physics is not in 0.24. Nothing is multi-threaded that used to be single-threaded.

64-bit is expected to be less stable than 32-bit. The sole case where it's more stable is if 32-bit crashed due to excessive numbers of mods. It will likely have a higher number of glitches.

DID I SAY MULTI-THREADING WAS GOING TO BE IN .24?? NO. I was stating that it's a good thing in the long run if both were combined.

DID I SAY MULTI-THREADING WAS GOING TO BE IN .24?? NO. I was stating that it's a good thing in the long run if both were combined.

Please don't shout at me. Given that just about all the talk about 64-bit is in a context of 0.24, and you talk about how "this is a really good thing" (implying that it's something imminent, not something a long way off), it was reasonable to assume you were talking about 0.24. If you were replying to a post from page 1 about Unity 5, you need to quote that post, or else it seems like you're replying to either a post just above yours or to the OP.

Please don't shout at me. Given that just about all the talk about 64-bit is in a context of 0.24, and you talk about how "this is a really good thing" (implying that it's something imminent, not something a long way off), it was reasonable to assume you were talking about 0.24. If you were replying to a post from page 1 about Unity 5, you need to quote that post, or else it seems like you're replying to either a post just above yours or to the OP.

64-bit compatibility is half-way to ultimate stability, OF COURSE IT'S A GOOD THING.

64-bit compatibility is half-way to ultimate stability, OF COURSE IT'S A GOOD THING.

a) Why are you shouting? Are you angry or something?

B) 64-bit is less stable than the 32-bit version. There is a single kind of crash it protects against. In all other ways, it is expected to be less stable. It's essentially the preexisting community hack with a few stability improvements; around 25% of people who tried that hack had major game-breaking issues.

c) There is no such thing as ultimate stability for a computer program.

d) What do you mean "of course it's a good thing"? I was referring to the phrasing of what you said, not the content - what you said implied you were talking about something that already exists (i.e. about to be released), which multithreading is not.

I ran the 64bit hacked version of KSP and found

A) it ran far better, launches where not a slide show

B) Memory wasn't an issue (huge amount of mods)

C)Could run Full Texture graphics

D)Didnt require atm or texture reduction packs (related to B)

E)Had less crashes than using the 32bit version

64 bit is a huge improvement over 32bit

Edited by Virtualgenius

a) Why are you shouting? Are you angry or something?

B) 64-bit is less stable than the 32-bit version. There is a single kind of crash it protects against. In all other ways, it is expected to be less stable. It's essentially the preexisting community hack with a few stability improvements; around 25% of people who tried that hack had major game-breaking issues.

c) There is no such thing as ultimate stability for a computer program.

d) What do you mean "of course it's a good thing"? I was referring to the phrasing of what you said, not the content - what you said implied you were talking about something that already exists (i.e. about to be released), which multithreading is not.

a) IT'S CALLED BEING COHESIVE FOR THE INTOLERABLY IGNORANT.

B) Have you tried the official 64-bit? No? THEN STOP TALKING ABOUT IT LIKE THE HACK IS EXACTLY THE SAME THING.

c) What country are you from where they take everything literal and with their own context?

d) "64-bit compatibility is half-way to ultimate stability" 64-bit IS about to be released. ARE YOU SERIOUS?

cpast and Darkstar616

How about you take several steps back so the thread can go on about 64bit and Part count!

And Darkstar616, I believe the font is readable enough in lowercase to use uppercase only for name and starting a sentence.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.