[1.3](Jan28/17) Landing Aid: Kill your horizontal velocity to land (Now optionally using RCS)

Diazo

Consistently noticing a problem when trying to use the "go here" option (right click, red mode) where it tries to select a place in the air if near the ship but moves property to the ground if moving the mouse further away from the ship. No error messages seem to come up at the time, which undoubtedly makes troubleshooting extremely difficult. Will be glad to try and get anything you need if not able to reproduce.

Can you play with the camera angles?

What I'm testing here is to see if something is up with the raycast and it is hitting the ship itself somehow.

Note I'm specifically concerned about invisible objects sticking out of the ship a bit.

D.

If i zoom WAY out and angle down I can often get around the ship as ground problem, but that also makes it hard to tell just what the hack I'm selecting for a location :P It isn't just the ship itself that seems to be picked up for the location indicator but a good amount around the ship as well. I'll see if I can grab a screenshot to help show what I'm talking about.

EDIT: well getting it to reoccur it was too dark to see anything :( Will keep trying!

Did notice something odd. Several times the location marker doesn't stay in place. It appears to be marked on the ground, but moves with the ship. Being motion it's really hard to get this in a screenshot so will try to get a sequence.

EDIT2: Couldn't get any that looked at all usable of the moving point, but was able to grab a couple of the landing point in the air. I hope that helps some at least.

2LoUDKO.png

NZL9viG.png

Edited by JeffreyCor

• 2 months later...

Version 3.2

-Fix hold mode target selection so it can no longer appear in mid air. Note that if the mouse is near the center of the screen, the red target arrow can be hidden behind your vessel if the angles are wrong. You will have to change camera angle to select your desired point if this is happening.

Github download.

@JeffreyCor This release should fix the target appearing in mid-air issue. However it does nothing about the target point moving after being selected. I couldn't cause that effect at all on my machine so I don't know what's happening there. You mention that when it happens, the target point stays relative to the vessel rather then the ground. During this, what is the Surface SPeed of the vessel? (As displayed just above the navball) If it is high, to test can you try and get it back down below 20m/s? If you are able to do this slow down, does the target point become stationary relative to the ground again?

Happy KSPing all.

D.

I will check it out ASAP and if the movement issue remains will try under the conditions you said and let you know the results. :)

UPDATE: It starts off working fine for selecting hover location even at higher speed. However, after setting it to maintain position (blue setting) then selecting a location (red) the arrow moves. I slowed back down under 15m/s and tried again and the arrow still moved. This didn't seem to be a problem at any speed before using the blue setting first though, so maybe some odd connection with that (?).

Edited by JeffreyCor

• 4 months later...

KSP 1.3 Compatibiliy: No update required.

Current version of this mod (3.2) works find in KSP 1.3 in my tests with no changes required.

CKAN is updated and the Github download is here.

This mod has also been added to Spacedock.

Note that in KSP 1.3 the old GUI system still used by this mod will stall KSP for 5 to 10 seconds the first time any mod draws a window using the old GUI system KSP has to load that functionality into memory. This will no longer be an issue once I update this mod to the new GUI system.

Happy KSPing all.

D.

Edited by Diazo

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I loved this mod.
Small, simple enough, no fuss.
It doesn't work anymore. The button isn't there to be selected for display in Blitzy's toolbar, where it once was.

I, for one, would be rather delighted were this to come back for 1.4.3.

Or has an alternative to this materialized where I did not see it? Does anyone have any suggestions?

18 hours ago, DerGolgo said:

I loved this mod.
Small, simple enough, no fuss.
It doesn't work anymore. The button isn't there to be selected for display in Blitzy's toolbar, where it once was.

I, for one, would be rather delighted were this to come back for 1.4.3.

Or has an alternative to this materialized where I did not see it? Does anyone have any suggestions?

If you know how to recompile the DLL it works in 1.4.2.  Haven't tested on 1.4.3 yet. 

23 hours ago, theersink said:

If you know how to recompile the DLL it works in 1.4.2.  Haven't tested on 1.4.3 yet. 

I have no clue how to compile (though I will now try and educate myself).

I interpret your statement to mean that you have actually done this. If so, would you share your compiled work? Put it on Google-Drive or Dropbox or something, for those who would like to have this mod in a more up-to-date version of the game? There appear to be two of us, @JeffreyCor and myself, minimum, and I would be delighted to test it in 1.4.3.
If you don't wish to put it on your own Google-Drive or something, I would gladly PM you my email address and put it (with all attribution to yourself) on my own.

31 minutes ago, DerGolgo said:

I interpret your statement to mean that you have actually done this. If so, would you share your compiled work? Put it on Google-Drive or Dropbox or something, for those who would like to have this mod in a more up-to-date version of the game? There appear to be two of us, @JeffreyCor and myself, minimum, and I would be delighted to test it in 1.4.3.
If you don't wish to put it on your own Google-Drive or something, I would gladly PM you my email address and put it (with all attribution to yourself) on my own.

It is a GPL3 license so I do not think it would be a violation. My concern is that if it is posted then some will expect support and start bugging the mod author. My testing has been limited so I am not sure if there are any major bugs that would require code work which I cannot do, I am not a coder. It appears as someone has asked DIazo to take over the upkeep judging from the public post on his profile. Let's give hime some time to respond. If he does not I can post the DLL here with the understanding it is as is, use at your own risk, with no support implied.

50 minutes ago, DerGolgo said:

I have made a recompile for KSP 1.4.3, which under GPL-3 I think I'm allowed to do. It is untested.

HorizontalVelocity_3.2.zip

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.