Non-Spacecraft Exchange

TheWanderer

what are peoples thoughts on a dedicated section of the forum for non-spacecraft?

I am seeing more and more attack aircraft, battleships, tanks, cars et al and less and less spacecraft in the spacecraft exchange.

Now i am not trying to do down what the people have done as some of the builds are truly impressive but when i go into the spacecraft exchange its looking for spacecraft.

The name actually goes back to the days when spacecraft was all we were able to make, before wings, wheels, sepratron or I-beam cannons.

It may be that we should omit the Space part of the name :)

perhaps rename Kerbal "Space" Programme......

Subforums seem like an unnecessary addition to me. Especially since there is a lot of overlap, would a SSTO spaceplane go in "Space" or "Air"? Are there enough boat designs floating around to justify their own subforum? The worst part is that subforums get less traffic and views than the main forums; I think that's why people often post mission reports in General Discussion rather than the proper subforum.

Maybe just thread prefixes for the different categories. And if we could filter by prefix that would be better still.

Subforums seem like an unnecessary addition to me. Especially since there is a lot of overlap, would a SSTO spaceplane go in "Space" or "Air"? Are there enough boat designs floating around to justify their own subforum? The worst part is that subforums get less traffic and views than the main forums; I think that's why people often post mission reports in General Discussion rather than the proper subforum.

Maybe just thread prefixes for the different categories. And if we could filter by prefix that would be better still.

yes, an SSTO would go in space OR air I would say. Maybe if it has wings it`s a spaceplane and if it does not it is a SSTO rocket. Myself i`m not bothered about such fine definition, I just want less `things that don`t go into space` in the `spacecraft exchange`

I`d like to see less `boats planes and cars` in the `spacecraft exchange` myself and either more subforums or better thread prefixes (with the ability to filter non spacecraft) would work.

My preference would be subforums, then the people who want to use the space program for non space won`t clutter up the space based forum with their craft and threads. It would be `cleaner`

I also think that would make the mods life easier as I would imagine it`s easier to just move a thread than make changes within it.

would a SSTO spaceplane go in "Space" or "Air"?

Well since it's a S.ingle S.tage T.o O.rbit craft, I'd say it belongs under the "Space" category...since it's a craft that ultimately ends up in space regardless of the delivery method.

Many Kerbal boats are launched with either wheels or wings and then those parts are detached once in the water. I would consider that craft (clearly designed to end up in the water) as a boat.

Etc etc.

----EDIT----

I should probably contribute to the thread a little lol

I'm in favor of the sub-forum for non-space crafts (things like cars, boats, helicopters etc etc) since they are starting to rise in popularity and are beginning to "muddle" up the space-based vehicle pool

Edited by Greenfire32

I'm sort of in the same boat (Sorry) as Red Iron Crown here, in that I haven't really noticed either a need or a net benefit for multiple subforums. The name "Spacecraft Exchange" certainly hasn't stopped people from sharing things that aren't spacecraft in the strict sense over the year or so that I've been active, and I've never noticed it to cause any serious issues. Despite the name, the Spacecraft Exchange is appropriate for any sort of craft, since you can find a role for many different sorts of craft in the context of space exploration.

The tagging idea is an interesting one, but I don't know how it would interact with the preexisting [stock] and [Mod Craft] tags, since I think we can only have one tag per thread at a time.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.