Tinker Time - Self-Updating Curse.com Mod Manager for KSP

TinkerTime - Mod Manager

The Ultimate Personal Mechanic for your KSP Mods

Celebrating 6 000 downloads!

Development Status

Version 2.0.0

Description

Tinker Time is a Mod Manager for Kerbal Space Program that will allow you to automatically update, enable, and disable all of your Curse, Github, and KerbalStuff mods. All you have to do is enter the URL to the mod webpage, and TinkerTime will do the rest of the work for you. Alternatively, you can add local mod zips. Tinker Time will even manage Module Manager for you, providing the latest bleeding-edge builds directly from sarbian! In addition to this, TinkerTime now has full support for multiple KSP installations, and can switch between them on the fly.

ewJpMzk.png

Downloads

http://andrewohara.io/TinkerTime/

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/243

https://github.com/oharaandrew314/TinkerTime/releases

Wiki

See the Tinker Time Wiki https://github.com/oharaandrew314/TinkerTime/wiki

Edited by oharaandrew314
update for 2.0

Looks really good, but I'm getting an error when adding this link: http://www.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/220208-dmagic-orbital-science

It shows the progress window and then a dialog with "An error occured while processing: DMagic_Orbital_Science_v0_8_1.zip"

Hi Smilie,

I can reproduce your issue. I have a feeling that it has to do with how I construct the download URL from the file name. I will probably have to change the way I get it.

Regardless, this mod appears to have a non-standard install. There's no way Tinker Time can properly install it, save for an AI that can read instructions, or manually maintaining a database of custom install scripts.

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest hurdle I've found is that not all mod developers place their mods in proper folder structure before uploading. How does Tinker Time overcome that aspect and account for it or would I still have to fix every other mod downloaded? Currently, I use JSGME because I already have to handle folder structure manually. Something more designed for KSP would be a nice change though.

• 1 month later...

Love the concept and implementation so far. When moving/updating from an older version to a newer version (in my case: 0.5 to 0.6) - the existing mods configured in the older version do not show up in the newer version. Or am I missing something?

Love the concept and implementation so far. When moving/updating from an older version to a newer version (in my case: 0.5 to 0.6) - the existing mods configured in the older version do not show up in the newer version. Or am I missing something?

Hey Nunny,

I just want to remind you that 0.6 is currently a pre-release prototype. The 0.5 mod list is currently incompatible with 0.6, but I will see if I can get it compatible again by the time of release.

Your options are to either:

- go back to 0.5

- delete all the TinkerTime mods in KSP, then go to My Documents > Tinker Time, and delete mods.json (resetting your mods list in Tinker Time)

If you decide to keep 0.6, I hope you enjoy the new features. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks for this. I've wanted a cross platform mod manager for a long time.

It would be nice if it could roll a full installation from scratch. Combined with the mod list import/export, this could produce something similar to the way Feed the Beast launcher for minecraft works. It would be a killer feature to be able to click a few buttons to materialize a new KSP instance with all the mods as your favorite youtuber, for example. If a mod manager had such a feature for Interstellar Quest it would be the gold standard by now. The FTB launcher does packs really well, but it is not friendly for building your own custom installations.

It might be enough to be able to "subscribe" an instance to mod pack. Maybe pack authors can just publish a meta-data URL, and the manager can poll it for updates. The meta-data would contain a list of each version of the pack, each version of each mod used therein. When the pack updates, the user is notified and can update all of the mods to the version listed in the pack.

Thanks for this. I've wanted a cross platform mod manager for a long time.

It would be nice if it could roll a full installation from scratch. Combined with the mod list import/export, this could produce something similar to the way Feed the Beast launcher for minecraft works. It would be a killer feature to be able to click a few buttons to materialize a new KSP instance with all the mods as your favorite youtuber, for example. If a mod manager had such a feature for Interstellar Quest it would be the gold standard by now. The FTB launcher does packs really well, but it is not friendly for building your own custom installations.

It might be enough to be able to "subscribe" an instance to mod pack. Maybe pack authors can just publish a meta-data URL, and the manager can poll it for updates. The meta-data would contain a list of each version of the pack, each version of each mod used therein. When the pack updates, the user is notified and can update all of the mods to the version listed in the pack.

Hey foonix,

I was actually considering adding something very similar called "Mod Profiles". Rather than having multiple instances of the game, Tinker Time would manage multiple sets of mods. For example, when you activate "Profile 1", Tinker Time only enables the set of mods which are part of that profile. When you are in a profile, enabling/disabling mods on your own will update that profile.

I could also swap out save files when profiles are switched, but it may be best to just let the user manage their own saves.

What do you think of that?

Hey foonix,

I was actually considering adding something very similar called "Mod Profiles". Rather than having multiple instances of the game, Tinker Time would manage multiple sets of mods. For example, when you activate "Profile 1", Tinker Time only enables the set of mods which are part of that profile. When you are in a profile, enabling/disabling mods on your own will update that profile.

I could also swap out save files when profiles are switched, but it may be best to just let the user manage their own saves.

What do you think of that?

It would definitely solve the pain point of working with multiple sets of mods and fill the mod pack niche. It would also save a lot of disk space. It might be a bit tricky working with the saves. If a part does not exist when a save is loaded as I understand any craft using it will disappear. I would be worried about shooting myself in the foot switching between radically different profiles.

There are some situations where it might be useful to run multiple versions of KSP its self though, such as after a new release when most mods are not compatible. I guess running multiple instances of the manager could solve this problem as well though. Another corner case may be if a mod pack maintainer needs to stipulate an older version of KSP.

Edited by foonix

foonix,

Those are all valid concerns, and it will take some thinking and discussing to figure out the best solution.

Multiple instances of the Tinker Time is not an option since they will all share the same mod list.

I had considered managing multiple installations of KSP, but I'm not sure if I want to manage which installations have which versions of the mod. It's hard enough just figuring out which version of KSP the mod is compatible with. Curse has support for that, but I've seen mod maintainers forget to update the ksp version number before. (remember 0.6 is adding Github support, which has no well-defined convention for marking KSP version supported)

Please feel free to contibute to my ticket on Github discussing this feature: https://github.com/oharaandrew314/TinkerTime/issues/62

Have you looked into the KerbalStuff API? Would it be possible to ping KS with this?

Would there,

Could there,

Possibly be.

A KerbalStuff integration for we?

Cool idea! I had never heard of KerbalStuff. I'll look into it. If all the data o need is available through the API or site, I will add it to Tinker Time.

Yeah!!!! You're on KerbalStuff!!! Is the API of any use?

Did you notice that I made an account? Do you think I should distribute Tinker Time on KerbalStuff, too? I'm not sure if you want utilities among the mods.

I had a quick look at the API, and it seems like it has everything I need. When users enter the KerbalStuff URL, I will probably get the mod id from the URL, and use that to query the mod info.

I'm trying to get v0.6 of Tinker Time out the door (currently waiting for my beta testers to have a look at it). Once it is done, I will add KerbalStuff in the next version.

Edited by oharaandrew314

Did you notice that I made an account? Do you think I should distribute Tinker Time on KerbalStuff, too? I'm not sure if you want utilities among the mods.

I had a quick look at the API, and it seems like it has everything I need. When users enter the KerbalStuff URL, I will probably get the mod id from the URL, and use that to query the mod info.

I'm trying to get v0.6 of Tinker Time out the door (currently waiting for my beta testers to have a look at it). Once it is done, I will add KerbalStuff in the next version.

Yeah, I saw it and immediately followed you (I think I was #2).

Absolutely hit your milestones. I firmly believe that, once a milestone is in progress, no additional milestone work should be added. Providing KS integration would definitely fall under that category and be a v0.7 milestone.

I get emails from KS about updates about mods that I follow. TT would help to consolidate that info and management into one place is all.

How do you see who has followed you on KS? I don't see it on my profile.

I don't think you can see who, just how many. It's on the mod page, second column "Followers:".

EDIT: You will also want to see this:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/94891-KerbalStuffWrapper?highlight=kerbalstuff

Edited by TranceaddicT

Ouch, hosting it on Kerbal Stuff without Kerbal Stuff support. That stings, man :P

Actually, KerbalStuff support is completed, but I've got one more (large) feature to add before I release the next version. I could make a pre-release, though.

Would you like me to take it down for now? I didn't mean to upset anyone by uploading it.

Actually, KerbalStuff support is completed, but I've got one more (large) feature to add before I release the next version. I could make a pre-release, though.

Would you like me to take it down for now? I didn't mean to upset anyone by uploading it.

Nah, you can leave it up. I saw it come across the new mods feed and got excited about it, and then the excitement just left me when I realized it only supported Curse.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.