Tinker Time - Self-Updating Curse.com Mod Manager for KSP

You might want to have a look at the code you use to query my server, because doing each request 4 time may get on my nerve at one point.

Sorry, that's not what I expected to happen. I'll have a look.

EDIT: My crawler wasn't caching the json. This fix will go up in 1.0. However, I was only able to reproduce 2 cache misses, and not the 4 that you see.

Edited by oharaandrew314

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

great tool but sadly i have had issues with it since the 1.3.0 version.

this image is what happens when i try to add a mod (from zip file) now, at first it lets me add mods from zip files but when i close and reopen the program this happens

http://i.imgur.com/DjGqHz9.png

- - - Updated - - -

disregard my previous statement, the 1.4 version seems to be working great for me, i don't seem to be having the same issues with it that i had with 1.3. for whatever reason it did not want to add that one mod. (maybe because it was for 0.90) i don't know. but all the other addons are able to be added fine

thanks for taking the time to make this little program. it makes things alot easier and more organized.

Really great mod ohara!

I´m using it for my new 1.0 build and so far I encountered only one "small" issue:

When I try to add a new mod link it sometimes says "ParseException" "Numeric identifier MUST NOT contain leading zeroes".

This also happened wiht one mod I wanted to update.

Two mods with this issue:

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/195/Alternate%20Resource%20Panel

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/13/Taurus_HCV_-_3.75_m_Stock-ish_Crew_Pod

The Taurus mod is the one which I could integrate and download earlier this day (v. 1.5.0) and the error occured as I wanted it updated to v.1.5.0.1

I assume it has something to do with the version number of the mods (Alternate Resource Panel has v. 2.7.0.0) as none of the possible download links of the ARP mod is working and this is the only thing that changed in the Taurus mod (and matters for TinkerTime).

Does it have to do something with the zero not being the very last number in the version number?

It´s just a small error though and thus shouldnt be high priority...but maybe a fix would be small too? It´s just a convience thing.

Edit: Something similar happens when I try to add Heatwarning:

http://www.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/229928-heatwarning

It gives me an emtpy window titled "NullPointerException" and I couldnt find a mod version number anywhere... maybe it´s related.

Edit2: :D

Some little request for a later version:

Would it be possible to make the mod list scrollable? I overfilled the list and can´t see all of my mods :)

Edited by Wolfo

Maybe a small suggestion... can you add a scrollbar? Because i have so many mods installed with it and although i can see them by using the arrow keys, the list won't move up and doesn't show the markers.

Lemme rephrase this: the modslist goes out of bounds of the application window, thus making modifications to their install, nearly impossible.

Edited by MK3424

• 2 weeks later...

Can you tell me why this is better than CKAN? I currently use CKAN which provides a list of all the updated and available mods. Why should I change to Tinker Time? It looks like it does the same function as CKAN but I have to manually input all the links.

Can you tell me why this is better than CKAN? I currently use CKAN which provides a list of all the updated and available mods. Why should I change to Tinker Time? It looks like it does the same function as CKAN but I have to manually input all the links.

Because you can manually input the links, you don't have the issue of the mod not being on CKAN.

hmm should Renault close down 'cause Bugatti is building the "better" cars. I'm sure everyone would aprove, that faster is better ... or not?

Why should anyone convince you to use a particular tool? Use the one that suits you. ... Peace =)

EDIT:

BTW Nice work oharaandrew314!

Hi Benji, someone contributed a fix which I believe fixes the issue. I was planning on consolidating another fix into the next release, but I'll probably go ahead and release without it, soon.

- - - Updated - - -

As for requests to make the list scrollable... This is a bug. I'll see if I can fix it soon if it takes minimal effort. I am currently busy with a new job and moving to a new apartment.

MrLao, TinkerTime updates mods first by deleting all of the files which are part of the mod, and not used by other mods. Then it will extract the new files.

- - - Updated - - -

Because you can manually input the links, you don't have the issue of the mod not being on CKAN.

Exactly. CKAN mods require that they be registered with the CKAN-meta repository, and have installation instructions provided. TinkerTime works for any mod on KerbalStuff, Curse, and Github by using a heuristic installation process that should work for any mod that was packaged according to the loose conventions set on the KSP wiki. You can also install mods straight from zip files (but, of course, they won't auto-update this way)

Edited by oharaandrew314

• 2 weeks later...

Hello and great job with tinker-time

I use an heavy modded KSP and the scrollbar dont work perfectly, i can't see the mod on the bottom of the list, can you make it work PLEAAASSSEEEE :-)

Best regerd, B. Heinrich

Great mod! Since I'm still on XP I can't use CKAN; this is a lifesaver!

Is it possible to write/read the URLs to/from a text file for export/import?

I second this request. Upon launching Tinker Time for the first time (just now), it's the first thing I looked for. Kinda surprised it's not there.

Love this mod! Not a fan of CKAN so was excited when I saw this one and it makes my life so much easier with mod updates, thank you!

I too look forward to an update containing a scroll bar. Thanks again.

Since this mod does not have a scroll bar and does not seem like it is going to get one any time soon, does anyone know how you can tell if a mod is up-to-date or enabled if you have to use the arrow keys to scroll to it? Using the arrow keys you can see the mod on the right window but not the icon on the left to determine what is going on.

Not sure how licenses work with mods, but since the OP does not appear to be doing anything with this, if someone that has know how (I personally have no clue how) is able to add a scroll bar, would that be allowed?

Any chance we can get an update if this mod is going to get a scroll bar? Sadly it has lost it functionality once you get too many mods. You can only see about 30 or so. After that you can't see then, scroll to them or update them.

Is this mod still being worked on or is it dead?

Hi everyone,

I'm very sorry to disappoint you all with a lack of updates. First, I was busy with graduating, starting a new job, and moving. But recently, I've had things on my mind that haven't really motivated me to make updates.

A little while ago, I was investigating an issue where clicking on the "Go to Mod Page" link for a KerbalStuff mod would take you to the API link. But, it's a side-effect of the new mod progress spinners (specifically because of how you get a placeholder mod as the metadata is downloaded). It will take a good deal of work to fix. I really should have worked on that silly scroll bar, though. Sorry about that. Knowing that all of you are still hoping for updates will motivate me to do some more work this week, though!

TT does some inspection of the installed mods, but it's only to tell which of the added mods are installed. There is no mod manifest specification, so it's impossible for me to look at an installed mod and be able to tell what it is without having all possible mods added to TT already.

I don't have a database of mod URLs; that isn't the point of TT. It piggybacks on top of kerbalstuff.com, Curse.com, and Github (to an extend). I would recommend searching through KerbalStuff, and using that as your "database".

Someone's request to add mods from links in a text file is definitely something I've never considered, or had requested of me. It seems like a good idea, though, so I'll consider that for a future release.

TT is licensed under CC BY SA 4.0. It is Open Source, so anyone can fork my repo on Github, and submit updates for me to review. Technically, you can fork it and redistribute it yourself as long as you keep te same license.

UPDATE:

Can someone download this prototype and see if the scroll bar appears for them now? I don't use very many mods, so that's why I never noticed this bug.

Edited by oharaandrew314

Yep, it has a scroll bar!!!!! Thanks!!!!!

LOL my "work around" before was to put my monitor in portrait mode, but then I had to turn my head sideways to see the screen the right way to move the mouse correctly, LOL, this is much better. Thank you and congrats on graduating!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.