Post Your Cinematics Here! (Cinematic Enthusiasts)

Halban

My first attempt at a KSP movie without the UI. Still trying to wrap my head around the camera tool controls, so some of the camera angles are a little repetitive. Comments and constructive criticism are welcome. I don't exactly have a plot with this one.

My first trip to Duna and Ike, aboard the Spaceplane Carrier Nyx One (totally not the previous Kerbin Orbital Refueling Station because Mortimer can't spare the funds) and the Spaceplanes: Diabolus X (SSTO for Duna) and Valkyria III (Ike Mission and Direct Kerbin return). This Duna mission was crewed by Valentina Kerman, star pilot, and Jagie Kerman, scientist and first-time kerbonaut.

Mission Plan: Valentina flies Nyx One into Duna Orbit, takes both spaceplanes to Duna and Nyx, and uses Valkyria III as the direct return vehicle bring all scientific data with her, while Jagie remains aboard Nyx One to study the data on-board laboratory and wait for low-consumption route home.

My first attempt at filming the launching of a rocket. Was going to be part of my Jool mission video, but since it took me two weekends just to film the launch, I decide to just upload it as a separate video. Comments, criticisms appreciated. Still trying to get the hang of pacing when it comes to firing engines, I don't want my videos to drag on by showing every second, but I don't want the viewer confused at what's happening either.

• 2 weeks later...

The audio was the easy part, as it's taken from a DB10 promotional video, but getting the video to (roughly) match up with the audio track was a limitation. Not as much as my install being very unstable when running Fraps (only getting about one cut of video per crash of KSP) . I'll have to give Dxtory a try and see if its more stable.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I did it again, I made a cinematic video when I wasn't planning to.

I started out constructing a station in Mun orbit for the Grand Orbital Space Station Challenge then I thought I'd make a guide tour of the exterior of it as a short cinematic... then thought I should show so parts being launched etc. etc. etc.

Finally I decided I'd make the whole thing a two part series, with part 1 (which doesn't include the guided tour) being made this weekend.

Part 2 to follow sometime soon.

Edited by purpleivan

• 1 month later...

i've got two ideas for cinematics, storyboards, script, audio, etc. but, i have very little in terms of ideas on how to get it out of ksp and on to tape. what recommendations are there for a tool kit of mods and other software for that filming step?

i've got two ideas for cinematics, storyboards, script, audio, etc. but, i have very little in terms of ideas on how to get it out of ksp and on to tape. what recommendations are there for a tool kit of mods and other software for that filming step?

Well, if your computer can handle it, here are the list of essentials in general terms:

• Something for fancy camera movements (Kerbcam)

• Something to get you where you want and to set the time (Hyperedit)

• Autopilot, if you're too busy performing other tasks (Mechjeb)

• Something to change the textures (to look better if your comp can handle it, or vice versa) (Astronomer's visual pack for better looks) (google it)

• Mods that add parts (if required for your cinematic) (B9 aerospace, KW rocketry, etc, do research on places like Curseforge and the forums and Kerbal Stuff, and make sure your game supports it)

These are all important stuff. You almost certainly need fancy camera movements, autopilot, and an atmosphere/space texture tweaker (because vanilla atmospheres strike a poor balance between computer-melting-visuals and low-lag visuals). Autopilot makes simple manoeuvres (i.e. a very steady and slow and realistic powered descent from a lander onto a place like Duna) very easy and gives you time to take care of other things.

Another thing I'd recommend would be a checklist. Why? Every time you record, there are many little thinks to watch out for like keeping your cursor hidden, hiding the UI, hiding everything so only the craft and universe can be seen, making sure your video recorder is on, making sure your video recorder works (I've had several cases where my beautiful footage put together in my ever-so-scare spare time is corrupted by a ****-ing free recorder for no good reason), and so on.

Cinematics are hard. Making them (for me) have taken huge amounts of time, energy, late nights, money, blood (yes, really, although not really), and frustration. Your reward is a beautiful creation you can sit back and enjoy... and that's the fun part. That's where the satisfaction of having made something beautiful comes in.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way,

Any experienced cinematographers got some recommendations?

Like, good mods and tweaks that make the game look good and not melt my computer, and tips and tricks that make things easier?

The problem is, every time I get the motivation to stop playing FPS'es, I try to make a cinematic, and six hours later, I have get nothing but failure. There's always something that goes wrong. The video recorder ****'ed up, I screwed up some good footage, the sound and video weren't synced, or something. :mad:

I really miss the time when I played KSP. I used to play it to make cinematics, and I quit because it was too hard. I grew tired of spending hours and hours trying to fix things and make videos. I'd force myself to come back and try again, but I'd need to start over because I needed to update my game. And the cycle would repeat.

Now, I've turned to FPS'es for the fun, and the quick n' easy satisfaction. But now they feel hollow, the fun fades shortly after I stop playing one.

I miss KSP. Can someone please help? ;.;