Post Your Cinematics Here! (Cinematic Enthusiasts)

Halban

These are some amazing cinematics. What kind of video-editing software would be recommended if I wanted to dive in and start making some?

If you're just looking to make a start then I can't imagine you'll need anything better than Windows Movie Maker. However, if you're aiming to eventually make something like my cinematics then you'll have to take a look at the about section of my channel.

These are some amazing cinematics. What kind of video-editing software would be recommended if I wanted to dive in and start making some?

I started out with movie maker, but that was a loooooong time ago, right now I roll with Sony Vegas and After Effects, but movie maker is a great and easy start, if you start simple it will feel more natural to move on to "harder" stuff like Sony Vegas.

I started out with movie maker, but that was a loooooong time ago, right now I roll with Sony Vegas and After Effects, but movie maker is a great and easy start, if you start simple it will feel more natural to move on to "harder" stuff like Sony Vegas.

Yeah, that's how it went with me. But I'm all about Premiere Pro, it's got a great workflow with AE.

EDIT: I'm actually working on a warp speed effect in AE right now, wanna see how it's going? :D

Yeah sure! PM me :P

I'll post it here, might as well take the chance to get something educational on the thread. After all, that was one of my goals :3 (plus, everybody wants to do them warp effects these days).

PS: I may need a couple of hours, I can't do squat in AE while exporting.

How would I create a flyby effect where the camera is stationary relative to Kerbin? I've got some great ideas for an upcoming short that I'm making but I need to figure this particular problem out.

I don't actually change anything. Kerbin is so large that unless you're doing something

then when you move the camera, it appears the craft is moving. Of course people usually just put put two and two together and work out that the camera is moving rather than the ship, but if you do a camera movement like
, and switch the engine on then it should look ok.

• 2 weeks later...

Not filmed in KSP, and not even very good, but a "cinematic" nonetheless.

Presenting... What Really Happened to MAVEN!

Sorry that I'm posting this everywhere on the Forums, but it took loads of work to make, and some people seem to like it. :)

[EDIT: By the way, how's work coming on your new Grand Cinematic... and have you decided where my music will be in there, yet? :)]

Not filmed in KSP, and not even very good, but a "cinematic" nonetheless.

Presenting... What Really Happened to MAVEN!

http://youtu.be/AVAcU1u2HSI

Sorry that I'm posting this everywhere on the Forums, but it took loads of work to make, and some people seem to like it. :)

[EDIT: By the way, how's work coming on your new Grand Cinematic... and have you decided where my music will be in there, yet? :)]

Looks good man, I can't really give you any pointers on it though. It's not exactly a cinematic in the traditional sense xD

As Spirit of Kerbin is a collaboration, pre-production is going very slowly. Hopefully when we enter production it should be going twice as fast though. And no, I'm afraid if I told you that I would be spoiling the plot :P

EDIT: Looks like we're neck and neck on the race to 1K, and I guess I'm now 1 extra behind you ;)

Edited by HatBat

a cinematic series of mine I've been planing since March. there's a backstory on my channel that goes by the name; Kerbal Konflict; Peacetime. It wasn't a cinematic series, it was made to make the meaningful series make sense. anyway, enjoy.
P.S: Sorry for the greyish tone to it. I'm currently fixing that. I won't have it happen again! Damn video grey!

This is my first attempt at what may be considered cinematic, I've only had the camera tools and editor installed for a few days. I still haven't found a way to get rid of the yellow text on target switching but had to have the dance scene in one shot so it's in there. It was maybe a bit over-optimistic for my PC and there's a few bad jolts especially with two or more mechs in the scene but I'm quite pleased with the improvements over the original short ballet that incredibly made it onto a video Wednesday. Also the scrolling text at the end seemed quite smooth before Youtube got hold of it, is there a way to avoid that or any other criticisms/suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
Hey internet people! I made a new cinematic, only 2 mins long.

Pretty good, but you should be using kerbcam... everything it better with kerbcam (you should also have a go at colour grading).

This is what i managed to throw together.. still practising though to get things right :)

Very nice, good choice of music and the editing isn't bad either. In future you should consider using Kerbcam as well as Camera Tools.

I had another go as well, quite addictive and time consuming one you start.

http://youtu.be/EwmFCvMZ0sI

I'm glad you're getting in to it, and that really is some great camera work. However you should try to improve the pace and variation of your shots. Can't wait until you make a narrative cinematic :)

Hey everybody! This is my first cinematic, it's a music video of sorts:

I'm working on another one, bit it's slow going, don't have a lotta time to work on it at the moment...

Wow, that's amazing for a first cinematic. Do you have experience with this kind of film-making? The framing is pretty good especially for the interior shots, but you should enable the dev settings and switch to the component camera mode which has smoother transitions between keys. And perhaps (general youtube tip) not have such a long wait at the beginning before the cool stuff happens. Anyway, PM me if you'd like some further advice - you've got great potential :)

Wow, that's amazing for a first cinematic. Do you have experience with this kind of film-making? The framing is pretty good especially for the interior shots, but you should enable the dev settings and switch to the component camera mode which has smoother transitions between keys. And perhaps (general youtube tip) not have such a long wait at the beginning before the cool stuff happens. Anyway, PM me if you'd like some further advice - you've got great potential :)

Hey Thanks! I've done some film-making before, including some stop-motion animation, but I've never done any machinima.

Yeah I didn't notice those kerbcam options until after I had made it, would have helped for the long shots for sure! :D