Post Your Cinematics Here! (Cinematic Enthusiasts)

Halban

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cool stuff here. Haven't been on this thread in a while.

Eddie - Kerbcam has a Developer Tools button at the very bottom of the settings menu. It'll unlock two more camera modes. Component will make movements much smoother.

One-Way - got some cool shots in there.

Westi - Here's a thing that disables the yellow messages by pressing Alt-M

Lita - I like that your editing is getting tighter, keep pushing. I know it sucks to trim off hard-won footage, but you gotta distill your idea.

inigma - ...i'll just say kudos.

And now for a loud commercial.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi fellas :)

I've just found this thread and I'm digging through it. I like playing kerbal and I really want to make some cool cinematics.

I have some idea and I really hope that I will be able to put it all together. Here is my first video ever made...

Now I know about making videos something more so after release of v1.0 I'll try something new ;)

PS: thx HatBat for your advice and for cool thread :)

Ah, hello Hatbat and all here, I've started playing KSP again for the first time in almost a year.

I wanted to ask you, when you guys say "tight" when referring to video editing, do you mean that the video has been edited to the point where only the best-of-the-best or most relevant footage is on-screen?

Hatbat, could you edit your first post and add a bunch of useful things such as what mods to use (for smooth camera movements and visual effects) and other bits and pieces that others will need for making good cinematics?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by It'snorocketscience
Removed something that was addressed at top of page

Ah' date=' hello Hatbat and all here, I've started playing KSP again for the first time in almost a year.

I wanted to ask you, when you guys say "tight" when referring to video editing, do you mean that the video has been edited to the point where only the best-of-the-best or most relevant footage is on-screen?[/quote']

Hey man! You've almost got the definition spot on there, although it's a pretty loose term anyway I'd additionally suggest that it defines an edit in which the cuts are made at just the right time and feel almost seamless.

Hatbat' date=' could you edit your first post and add a bunch of useful things such as what mods to use (for smooth camera movements and visual effects) and other bits and pieces that others will need for making good cinematics?[/quote']

That's a great call, I'll do that soon. Thanks :)

Hey Hatbat (a hat with a bat or a bat with a hat?),

Remember the "spirit of kerbin" trailer/teaser from september 2014 you made? How's that going, or is it still under wraps?

Just one thing i wanted to suggest about that video (I know its old) that perhaps you should've used the original video (Macey's footage of The battle for Laythe in black-and-white to review) that macey published so long ago.

Then, on the original video, after captain says "this is an outrage!" you add in your own part. I know that is technically a copyright violation, but you mimicked the original video closely (spaceplane quickly flies over that bump in the island, stops close to base) that you technically already violated copyright, but nobody seems to mind. I know macey's video wasn't the smoothest, but the original footage perfectly describes the scenario, because it is the scenario.

I've been thinking of creating my own sequel to commemorate macey dean and his unfinished KSP series, (of course, the plot after the spaceplane-laythe base confrontation would be different), but I'm worried that might bother you, because you're doing that and the intro would be very similar to the corresponding parts of two other videos (you and Macey's). And although the chance is small, there is a probability that the plots of our future videos may be similar in a bad way. What do you think/say?

P.S. Sorry for my confusing usage of words, but that's the best that I could word what I wanted to say.

STEP: Last Launch released!

The video was planned to be released today as shown in previous videos and the scene of the three astronauts is pure coincidence. I was like "Oh My God it's the same scene as appears on my video and in the same day!" xD

[EDIT] Copyright problems solved -> Music was deleted

Edited by Kerr

Looking forward to seeing that new video Kerr. Here's my latest one, I'm particularly proud of how thrilling the battle sequence was: that's not something I've seen much in KSP cinematics. Enjoy, and remember I'm welcome to any and all questions.

Good work hatbat! Everything was great all-round, except for the KSC scene. It was good, but I found the AA defenses quite unrealistic for my expectations. Why would two different defenses be right next to each other? That strategically does not make sense as both can be easily wiped out. And both defenses kept missing... real AA's don't do that for long. Perhaps a squadron of fighter-bombers make it through in numbers or ground units come in first to wipe out the AA's.

More AA's would've been better (then again, one can only do so much) as an expensive military/science facility would/should be more heavily defended.

As you probably know, this cinematic has a little visible lag, I don't know about you but I like smoothness more than quality. :)

There are a few other things, related to realism but that's probably my creativity interfering. Cinematics don't have to be realistic. ;)

Good work hatbat! Everything was great all-round' date=' except for the KSC scene. It was good, but I found the AA defenses quite unrealistic for my expectations. Why would two different defenses be right next to each other? That strategically does not make sense as both can be easily wiped out. And both defenses kept missing... real AA's don't do that for long. Perhaps a squadron of fighter-bombers make it through in numbers or ground units come in first to wipe out the AA's.[/quote']

Thanks, however I don't think you should worry about that too much. From the perspective of taking what's happening on screen as reality: everything that could go wrong for HKA did go wrong and that's why they lost the KSC. That's just how it happened and they paid for their mistakes.

More AA's would've been better (then again, one can only do so much) as an expensive military/science facility would/should be more heavily defended.

I would've liked more too, but practically it would've been impossible to have more than I did (laggggg), it also economically doesn't make sense for HKA to have dozens of AA vehicles and their pilots just sitting around waiting for the one time that they might be needed. They're not doing so well with money at the moment, they'd just spent a lot of their cash on the Albion and the Helios. They're not billionaires, only millionaires :)

As you probably know, this cinematic has a little visible lag, I don't know about you but I like smoothness more than quality. :)

I see what you mean, although originally it was much worse. For the first half of this cinematic I manually went in frame by frame removing any inconsistencies in the frame rate, but after finishing the shot at 3:55 I realized my progress for that particular shot had been lost for one reason or another, subsequently I went through the rest of the cinematic without removing lag.

There are a few other things, related to realism but that's probably my creativity interfering. Cinematics don't have to be realistic. ;)

I'd love if you could tell me, if only for future cinematics.

And to Kerr:

Sorry about you losing the sound for your cinematic, would've loved to have heard it. Aside from that you had some truly beautiful shots in there, especially the shots of the kerbals walking, the shot in which the docking ports are about to meet, and the second to last shot. Great job :)

Edited by HatBat

...it also economically doesn't make sense for HKA to have dozens of AA vehicles and their pilots just sitting around waiting for the one time that they might be needed. They're not doing so well with money at the moment, they'd just spent a lot of their cash on the Albion and the Helios.

Ohhh... so miniguns are really expensive? (of course they are!) :D

I'd love if you could tell me, if only for future cinematics.

What do you mean by "if only for future cinematics"? I'll assume you (and other Cinematographers!) would like a few tips for making realistic cinematics:

Note: These tips have been generalized for everyone, just because I mention something doesn't mean you have to see it as a suggestion.

• Quindar Tones: Quindar tones are beeps that have been used in the Apollo era that come before and after anything that is said by the KapKom (Capsule Communicator) and the ground stations. It's no longer used in modern space communications and may interfere with the tone of the cinematic and/or music, but in some cases it sounds cool and realistic. (look it up on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quindar_tones)
  • Dialogue: What the Kerbaunaughts say has to be realistic for the cinematic to be realistic. Kerbaunaughts shouldn't panic (by panic I really mean panic) if you want the cinematic to be realistic (real astronauts almost never panic because they're trained to solve problems, not fear them; they can get unnerved or nervous, but the only times they would panic is in very extreme situations, if at all). Then again, Kerbaunaughts are Kerbals and not humans...
    When it comes to the normal aspect of speaking, Kerbals should sound like they're focused on what they're doing, and when they aren't in direct communication with ground, you can make them a little more silly/expressive/less official, etc. if you wish (then again, I might be misled on this part, but everyone likes to have some fun when they're not being watched right?). You can study real-life astronaut dialogue if you wish. Avoid making the dialogue (excessively) lighthearted.

• The Plot: Well, this one is easy, when problems occur, you may want to have a realistic reason for them, like "First Officer: "Captain, Engine no. 2 is suffering from low fuel pressure!" Captain: "Is the fuel pump broken?" First Officer:[b/] "Well, *caption disappears, new one appears:* Either the fuel pump is broken and we need to switch on the backup, or we're out of fuel. Check the gauges by the Engineer's seat." You can't just have the First officer shout that they've ran out of fuel as the first engine dies. Then, of course, when something happens (executing a burn for tylo, etc.) you may want to make the dialogue sound "procedural" and the astronauts focused and official and careful. If you were very serious, you could study what they do during the hours counting down before a rocket launch, giving the launch scene a more serious tone.
    Sometimes, you may want to take history into account. Many commercial airplane crashes are caused by pilot error, although uncommon in the world of space exploration, the aviation industry has a lot of crashes caused by pilot error: Narrator: Perhaps the cause of the crash was due to pilot error; did the pilot ever notice that the cockpit Oxygen supply was turned off by the engineers before he suffered from hypoxia? (the story mentions earlier that engineers were checking for leaks in the cabin doors and turned off the oxygen supply to discover the leaks, but then forgot to put the switch back the way it was).

Those are my tips! There might've been some I missed, but these are the most important ones. Hopefully people save this for future reference and benefit from it or I will be really embarrassed. :)

Maybe we should found a club where all the realists here get together and we can call our genre of cinematics "Realizm". Like the famous painters who did. :D I'm not serious, but we could if we wanted too...

Edited by It'snorocketscience

Sorry about you losing the sound for your cinematic, would've loved to have heard it. Aside from that you had some truly beautiful shots in there, especially the shots of the kerbals walking, the shot in which the docking ports are about to meet, and the second to last shot. Great job :)

Thnx :) The video was a Bob Dylan tribute and the song was Knocking On Heaven's Door and the music fit perfectly with the video. The heaven is the space and the heaven's door is the elevator door that leads kerbals to their travel to heaven.

I have seen your last work "Invasion", I must to say it's great as ever :D

Ohh you got my KSP short clip of a polar rescue.

Heres the story plot:

A short cinematic of a lost kerbal at the south pole. He unlike the rest survived the crash when the left turbojet of their cargo plane blew. Upon crashing, the cargo bays managed to keep the rover intact. As he drove around the South Pole desperately looking for help. This 10 ton rover however, fell into a crevice causing the struts on his wheels to decouple. Now unable to move, he sobbed in agony inside the crew cabin. However, on day 4 of his survival, a jet could be heard from the distant. Joyfully, he sprung up and out of the crew cabin to signal the pilot. Fortunately, the jet was under command of Cerella Kerman, the first female kerbalnaut to fly over the south pole. She landed on the ice caps and greeted the lost kerbal. Taking him onboard her jet, she began to throttle up and begin a route to the Kerbal Space Center. What happens next....

Enjoy.