Your self-imposed rules for .24

Kobymaru

I really don't understand the hate for Mechjeb. First, it's a fantastic information gathering tool. Second, after the four-hundredth launch manual launch, automating the process isn't cheating; it's efficient use of time.

For my rules:

1) Quicksaves to slay the Kraken. Death and mission failures due to my own failure are subsequently my responsibility, not the responsibility of revert/F9.

2) Have lots and lots of fun. (I refuse to be ruled by the tyranny of the reputation bar! By the time I'm done with it, I expect it to be burning red enough to be used as a heating element.)

1. Expendable rockets are NOT a sin. Sometimes it's not cost effective to make fully recoverable rockets, and sometimes it takes too many parts.

2. As always, orbital debris IS a sin. If something gets left in a stable orbit, it must be able de-orbit itself.

3. As always, serial staging is preferred for small vehicles, but all staging configurations are allowed, including Asparagus rockets.

4. If possible, the first stage of unmanned vessels should be SRBs to reduce cost.

5. Crewed vessels are not prohibited from using SRBs, but they should avoid them except for the Sepatron and the escape tower. If a crewed vessel does need SRBs other than the, they may only be used on the first stage of the launcher.

6. Crewed rockets are required to have a functional abort system capable of pulling all modules capable of being crewed at launch safely away from the launch stack. "Capable of being crewed at launch" excludes things like inflatable habitat modules, but includes things like the Hitchhiker can.

7. Crew being launched to or returning from LKO must be in a capsule, cockpit, or Hitchhiker can. Sorry Jeb, No "riding the rocket" to/from space.

8. MechJeb is required on all vessels because computers are strictly better ship pilots than Kerbals (or me). The crew member in the capsule is not a pilot, but a passenger, and therefore has minimal control over the craft's trajectory.

9. An exception to rule #8 is made for docking procedures once speed relative to target is nulled out because that's the one part of spaceflight that I do better than MechJeb does. 1-2 units of monoprop used per ton of spacecraft docked is typically what I end up using. Even the stock spherical radial monoprop tanks basically never run out for me.

I'm interested in the options that allow you to switch off reverting to launch etc. I was looking at my career mode the other day, and thinking it wasn't so impressive that I haven't killed any kerbals, on the basis that I just revert/F9 every time one dies. Maybe I'll try a brutal reality save in .24, and see how quickly I can work my way through the kerbonaut corps...

I'm interested in the options that allow you to switch off reverting to launch etc. I was looking at my career mode the other day, and thinking it wasn't so impressive that I haven't killed any kerbals, on the basis that I just revert/F9 every time one dies. Maybe I'll try a brutal reality save in .24, and see how quickly I can work my way through the kerbonaut corps...

I'll probably disable all the save and revert options too. But it might be worthwhile to leave the quick save option enabled, but quick load off. Saving would still be possible to recover from game crashes or similar. I wouldn't like to crash to desktop when returning from a long mission without a backup save.

yes, one option is to keep an sandbox game as a simulator where you can test stuff, here hyperedit is totally legal and nice for testing various designs.

1. Expendable rockets are NOT a sin. Sometimes it's not cost effective to make fully recoverable rockets, and sometimes it takes too many parts.

2. As always, orbital debris IS a sin. If something gets left in a stable orbit, it must be able de-orbit itself.

3. As always, serial staging is preferred for small vehicles, but all staging configurations are allowed, including Asparagus rockets.

4. If possible, the first stage of unmanned vessels should be SRBs to reduce cost.

5. Crewed vessels are not prohibited from using SRBs, but they should avoid them except for the Sepatron and the escape tower. If a crewed vessel does need SRBs other than the, they may only be used on the first stage of the launcher.

6. Crewed rockets are required to have a functional abort system capable of pulling all modules capable of being crewed at launch safely away from the launch stack. "Capable of being crewed at launch" excludes things like inflatable habitat modules, but includes things like the Hitchhiker can.

7. Crew being launched to or returning from LKO must be in a capsule, cockpit, or Hitchhiker can. Sorry Jeb, No "riding the rocket" to/from space.

8. MechJeb is required on all vessels because computers are strictly better ship pilots than Kerbals (or me). The crew member in the capsule is not a pilot, but a passenger, and therefore has minimal control over the craft's trajectory.

9. An exception to rule #8 is made for docking procedures once speed relative to target is nulled out because that's the one part of spaceflight that I do better than MechJeb does. 1-2 units of monoprop used per ton of spacecraft docked is typically what I end up using. Even the stock spherical radial monoprop tanks basically never run out for me.

Agree with most of them except 6,

hitchhiker modules are not allowed to be crewed during launch as they has an huge chance of not surviving an water landing. Exception is standardized rockets with proven reliability rating and has preformed an emergency landing of crew module. Danger here is not breakup during launch but not having enough fuel to land safely again at spaceport.

Tend to launch untested designs unmanned and then send the crew up later.

, and a emergency landing

I don't think so, that takes persistence file editing AFAIK. Or is that a change that's been mentioned for 0.24?

One of the preview videos explicitly demonstrates a new tab in the debug menu which allows changing these settings.

1. No spacejunk in orbit above an altitude of 200k.

2. Spaceship needs at least 1 stage of fuel efficient propulsion.

3. Reputation dissipation. No Kerbal will return to Kerbin or die. Maybe float around in orbit under 200k. i will recover the spaceship tough.

4. Learn to dock spaceships and make proper use out of it, instead of launching small mountains which consume half of Kerbins fuel reserves.

4. Learn to dock spaceships and make proper use out of it, instead of launching small mountains which consume half of Kerbins fuel reserves.

It actually uses less fuel to launch it in one big launch, assuming your big lifters have payload fractions similar to your small ones. No fuel used to rendezvous and dock.

Hadn't seen the video, thanks for that.

I would make sure you really want to turn it off, as it looks after it is off you will have to use alt F12 every time you want to use revert and saves. The respawn one is one I will turn off though.

1. No quick save/loading/reverts except for test-flights and bugs (as the idea of building a rocket without simulating it ever is completely insane, all test flights to be unmanned (as soon as I put Kerbals in it's a proper launch with no reverts))

2. No more than 3 stages to reach orbit, where the 3rd stage must bring the periapsis up to 10-15km (this may be relaxed for really huge launches, but even then there's no extensive asparagus staging)

3. No mods until I've completed the tech tree and gone to most of the planets (this may be relaxed to allow for procedural fairings if the cost of parts to build stock fairings is prohibitive)

4. No space debris with periapsis outside the atmosphere (if it won't get down to auto-deletion altitude then I'll manually end it as it would eventually come down if I sat and watched it)

5. Complete entire tech tree tier before progressing to the next

6. At least 2 unmanned missions to precede a manned one if heading further out than Kerbin's SOI

7. No nukes (engines or RTGs) until I hit max reputation and finally get the environmentalists to back down (this is mainly to make interplanetary harder, though if rep goes up really quickly it might be meaningless)

8. ?????

9. Profit!

1. No mods

2. No Reverts

2a. I may still allow my house rule of declaring that a flight is 'simulated' for testing purposes. Simulated flights can only be simulated to 70,000m, because my imaginary simulator doesn't have enough RAM to do more. Basically, I make sure my aerodynamics are not HORRENDOUS and staging it correct ( and I remembered parachutes and legs etc)

3. No kerbals left behind...which is true usually cause they are all dead.

4. Space junk is highly frowned upon

5. Manned flights before probes..the the probes are probably smarter and more valuable than the space frogs :)

:P

My rules:

Bill, Bob and Jeb never leave the Kerbin SOI and don't complete any 'firsts'.

Vaguely realistic rockets.

Realistic construction of big ships for interstellar missions.

MOAR mods!

Mechjeb only used for tedious stuff like launches.*

*I do use MJ for executing maneuver nodes simply for precision that a human could never get. :blush:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.