what have you done with your asteroids?

hasty6

At the moment in ksp i am addicted to asteroids.

So far i have redirected one, landed one at the ksc and most recently i have...

thrown one at jool!!!!!!:sticktongue:

unfortunately, i thought they were indestructible but it turns out it you throw into jool it poofs out of exscistance

i was just wondering,what things have you done with your asteroids?

I left my on an orbit.

Got a plan to build a space station there, eventually, but... it's just a sandbox mode, so I can't be bothered. I plan to capture one asteroid in 0.24 campaign run and then have a proper station build around it :)

I captured a C class asteroid and landed it within 10km of KSC. It was my first time!! Then i wrestled an E class asteroid into Kerbin orbit (5 mil by 5 mil). i was going to build a base out of it but my game twitched out and crashes whenever i try and load the asteroid now. done with them for now. perhaps 0.24 asteroids will be more stable.

Late in the game, there should be a contract for "stop doomsday asteroid from hitting Kerbin" :P

Personally, I... haven't managed to catch one yet. There's one orbiting Kerbin and I sent out a ship to get it, unfortunately it's in a really weird, eccentric polar orbit and I can't get a good rendezvous.

I wonder if we get money when we recover something attached to one.

My thoughts exactly - would be nice if they were more randomized and the EVA sampling would reveal different valuable elements inside.

I've captured 3 A's, a B, a D and E. All are in equitorial orbits except on A I haven't sent a manned mission to yet and the D which is in a retrograde orbit.

I am never going to try to capture another E again. It was a total nightmare, and I started having phantom force and time acceleration bugs, which means I scrapped the asteroid base plan.

As pointed out above, the juice is not worth the squeeze, so to speak. Too much work for too little science and it's just not fun, which is too ironic for words.

I captured an E class sticked some fancy solar panel roses on it. Then I had the crazy idea to connect 2 asteroids together.

After that was done I landed the smaller one and left the other one, which acts as a refueling station now. Since I'm playing sandbox they are completely useless, I'd rather put them in the asteroid belt where they belong.

I captured and landed one (don't remember the class right off the top of my head) at the KSC and then attempted to capture another one. Got it into a stable orbit around Kerbin, but I've been experience a myriad of bugs and glitches concerning time warp and the Klaw so I've temporarily suspended all asteroid missions.

Absolutely nothing. Did the mission once or twice, found it be incredibly boring, 'cause me to question NASA doing this for real and then went back to playing the regular game.

Yeah, same. I encountered one, docked with it, named it, didn't have enough fuel to get it into orbit but also didn't see the point anyway. Haven't really explored much with them since. Like you said, they're kinda dull.

Maybe they'll have more value with contracts.

Got a mod that added Kethane and EPL Ore to the asteroids. Put a C class into LKO and used it to bootstrap myself into an interplanetary civilization. Now I am mining out several E classes to get resources for a Duna base.

This was needed because I play with a 10x scaled system (RSS) and every gram on your payload counts when it takes 9.5 km/s just to get into LKO.

I sent a kerballed mission that captured an A-class into Kerbin orbit. I was going to put it in a low orbit coplanar with Minmus, but then noticed that I'd captured it into a retrograde orbit, so I scrapped that plan and just left it there.

And I have 3 robotic missions underway to redirect impactors: one D-class has been deflected with plans to capture, the other 2 missions (to another D and an E) are still heading to their rendezvous. Probably won't finish any of those missions now tho.

I captured one and bulldozed it to the KSC... then grabbed an A-class and went bowling with it. I think I still have a C-class in counter-orbit around Kerbin... tried a few times to arrange a 'meeting' between in and the oppositely orbiting space station but never got closer than 300m. I've been trying to think of something else to do with them.

its still in great need of improvement, but i think i may be on to something.

i was in the middle of an e-class capture, when my fuel ran out. so i sent a tanker with a little extra..

index.php?cmd=image&sfpg=QVJNLyoyMDE0LTA3LTE0XzAwMDAyLmpwZyplOGM1ZDdiZGQ0MDY3MmFjMDNjZDg0NjQ4MDcwNDk4Nw

index.php?cmd=image&sfpg=QVJNLyoyMDE0LTA3LTE0XzAwMDAzLmpwZyozYWUzMjEzYjY0NTAwZTAxZDFjNTlmZWUxZmMwYTA5YQ

index.php?cmd=image&sfpg=QVJNLyoyMDE0LTA3LTE0XzAwMDA3LmpwZyo0NmRjODljMDA1OGJlYTJkNDM4MTVkOTM2OWMxNTNjNQ

index.php?cmd=image&sfpg=QVJNLyoyMDE0LTA3LTE1XzAwMDAxLmpwZyphOWE1MzU3N2Q5MTY3MjRkMWMwMjJiZWUxMWQyOGE0YQ

basically i made a bunch of SAS drones and placed them all over the asteroid for better control. turn rate is still slow as hell, but better than to reposition the tug all the time!

later, i aerobraked the thing in kerbins atmosphere...

index.php?cmd=image&sfpg=QVJNLyoyMDE0LTA3LTE1XzAwMDE0LmpwZyo4NzkzYzMwNDM4ZDI5ZTM2Yjk2MGY5ZTM5YTU3MzE3OQ
Edited by Umlüx

I got an E-Class and A-Class orbiting Kerbal at 256 and 100km. My original plan was to connect them via a claw-bridge to create a giant space station. Didn't really do anything with it until now, though.

The station is planned for my 0.24 mission save right now. Will be much easier with LF-powered RCS.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.